Sign in to follow this  
SallyIronside

Clarification on Snowballs

Can't collect them from grass, but can from lawns, trees, bushes, and stone slabs only. Not sure why not able to collect from the grass.

So far, I've collected snow from grass tiles, grass tiles with flowers, steppe tiles, paved tiles, tree and bush tiles, but not all of the tiles listed appear to have the option to collect snow, it's similar in some ways to foraging, in that not every grass, steppe or tree/bush tile can be foraged.

As winter progresses, snow should be more common:

[20:12:17] <Retrograde> tile polling
[20:12:27] <Retrograde> as winter comes on more tiles will be polled and wind up with snow

I'm really bugged by the fact that there's no indication of even the possibility of tiles having snow unless you right click on them and check for the option. Right-clicking something at random and possibly seeing a new option in the menu is not a way to make a feature discoverable. I mean, you wouldn't even know about it unless someone told you how it worked.

They fit in larder iceboxes and you can throw them at people... seems pretty useful ;)

After today's patch filling an icebox took me 5 minutes at most. Seems good now. Will see how long they last.

I filled my larder's (67.50 QL larder) icebox with 100 snowballs the first day we could run around gathering snowballs. (Before winter graphics even updated.)

It's been two days, and 51 of them already took decay damage. I did not even leave mine in inventory, I promptly as I picked them up stuck them in a raft in my cart as I gathered them.

The day after, I went around gathering more, and purposely adjusted it so my icebox only had snowballs with high QL in it...(I was able to get it so there was 84 or higher QL in there.)

At this decay rate, they won't last through until another winter. Are we supposed to chip them into ice blocks or something?

Edited by Corsan
Larder QL

Dedicate a larder to holding nothing but snowballs. Put the snowballs in the ice box and shelfs.

A wurm year is ~45 Earth days. 100 ql / 45 = something greater then 2.22 damage per Earth day for the snow balls to not last. It's a little harder then this since as snowballs melt it will increase exponentially (assuming you don't restock back to 100).

I don't think anyone is seeing this much decay. I have a 85ql cedar larder with 100 ~78(avg.) quality snowballs. Another 99 snowballs in the lower shelf. There is some finished and cooking mats in the other shelfs. I've had this setup for 2 days and none of it has any decay.

edit...

Just noticed decay on things and it wasn't there when I made this post 4 hours ago. ~5.8dmg on 99 ice box snowballs, lost one.

~8.34 dmg on 99 snowballs. The possible decay jumps on individual snowball is huge. All of them had zero decay so that means one got 100 dmg in one tick, two more with > 50 dmg, 11 with 10<x<50 damage, 16 with ~1.5dmg.

It does indeed look like we can run out of snowballs before next winter. It seems we'll have to stockpile extra snowballs and rely on the outliers (the snowballs lucky enough to not get heavy decay damage) of the RNG decay mechanics to keep the larder stocked.

Edited by joedobo

When I suggested I might make another larder to shove some snowballs in....someone laughed at me and joked about how I should go make 10 of everything. Pretty sure this larder mechanic isn't going to work so well if this is how fast they decay...

I could be it's intentionally designed so most snow balls will melt away every year.

Given that decay ramps up as less snowballs are in the icebox it's harder to figure out how many extra snowballs we need keep say one larder's ice box full all year. The extra snowballs would come from the larders stocked with nothing but snow.

8 minutes ago, joedobo said:

I could be it's intentionally designed so most snow balls will melt away every year.

Except it's still winter, so the snowballs shouldn't even BE decaying in the larder. Especially for one that's outside a building like mine is. It would still be cold outside/inside the thing because of the supposedly cold weather, hence the snow. But I had 99 QL snowballs take upwards of 30 dmg. If they are going to take that kind of damage just sitting in there for 2 days, it wouldn't even last remotely close to long enough with our long stretches of other seasons before getting the short winter we get because of so many people griping about the blinding snow...

"its coldests in winter"  you're making assumptions about how it's coded. This is one of the biggests issues with the pursuit of realism. Its simply impossible to code perfect realism.

It's far more likely that decay is a flat rate that is only altered by how many snowballs are in the ice box.

Something that is really annoying me with these things is all the work we have to put into it. Its realtivly hard to build, it takes work to stock it with snowballs, it takes even more work to stock other larders with more snowballs so we don't run out durring the year...yea

All so I can see my butter start to decay in two days...really?

I build a FSB once, never stock it with anti-decay fuel, and it doesn't ever destroy or decay anything. The larder is severely flawed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, joedobo said:

It's far more likely that decay is a flat rate that is only altered by how many snowballs are in the ice box.

I don't expect realism, except insofar as they've attempted to create realism, and are further attempting to do so. The problem with your statement here, is that if it's full, as it currently is, that should also thwart the other snowballs from taking decay ticks for a longer period. They should all just take a flat rate of damage at a steady pace...increasing over time the closer you get to summer, but in slow increments to start off with. We simply shouldn't see huge decay ticks in there because the snowballs in there would keep the other snowballs cool and unless someone's sticking their hand in there or trying to lick the snowballs they likely wouldn't ever warm up until it was too hot out and it started to seep inside. (Unless you opened the icebox a bunch of times and let out the cold.)

Edited by Corsan
Less absolutism.

20 minutes ago, Corsan said:

I don't expect realism, except insofar as they've attempted to create realism, and are further attempting to do so. The problem with your statement here, is that if it's full, as it currently is, that should also thwart the other snowballs from taking decay ticks for a longer period.

I never said it completely stops decay. I said a flat rate. But even that isn't right. It would be better to say a flat reduction(flat for a given number of snowballs) in decay. Things that have fast decay time still decay relatively fast, for example snowballs and butter.

There is no point in me talking about how it should be. Although, I do believe I should point out some messed up things with how it currently functions.

"realism", the point I was trying to make is it's not possible to code perfectly realism. There will always something that seems off. It doesn't matter how hard someone(s) tries or pursues realism.

When looking at average decay, is it just the low ql ones taking decay (as you'd expect) or all of them?

In my testing low ql decayed quicklyish, but high ql lasted a significant amount of time

I hope they last over a year. But was very hard to test. Will have to wait and see what happens.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, joedobo said:

High and low ql snowballs are decaying. I didn't do statics on it, not sure how I would either.

Seeing much the same, already seen some snowball decayed away after filling two larders a little over a day ago. Interestingly I had a few snowballs left over from filling the iceboxes, and threw them into different shelf in the larder and they seem to be less affected by decay than the ones in the icebox...

Edited by Wulfmaer

At this rate the snowballs will be lucky to last one wurm month befor they are totally decayed in the larder. Maybe a little adjustment is needed on decay rates inside the larders for food and snowballs?

On 12/22/2016 at 0:59 AM, ClericGunem said:

It took ~8 minutes to get first decay tick on snowballs in my inventory.  97ql took ~1 dam, 20ql took ~2 dam.   The ones i had put in larder about the time of my post still have not taken any damage, including the ones already damaged.

I put 100 snowballs in larder on 2016-12-22, there were ~10 with damge and highest was 4dam; it is now 2016-12-25 and down to 96 snowballs and many are severaly dam...in just 3 days.  On Deed and indoors.  This was just random qls, i just stocked another one with 90ql+ and am going to fill another and put under ground, but based on this if it is less than 90ql it will not last the winter, much less until next winter...  Be warned and fill with highest ql possible while you can

XUSvS5k.png

My larders are consistent with a snowball having a 50% chance of taking a decay hit each terrestrial day.  I have stocked only undamaged snowballs in two of my larders.  The larder filled two days ago now has 23/100 undamaged snowballs.  The larder filled three days ago now has 13/100 undamaged snowballs.   The expected progression would be 50, 25, 12.5, 11.25... so 23 and 13 are decent fits.   I will check in 24 hours and see if those numbers have approximately halved again.

Update - At the four and three day mark those two larders were down to 7 and 6 respectively.

Edited by Gaffer

I'm noticing rapid decay on my snowballs too, even on 90+ ql snowballs. I hope something is done to greatly reduce the decay asap as we can no longer harvest snowballs. The longer the current decay rate remains the more days we will be without snowballs before the next winter...

• Like 1

I have my snowballs with an avg of 50dmg decay in a larder IN a cave, even 99QL ones. To me it seems they behave like "old meals", or similar; being put in a larder doesn't seem to affect them in the slightest but also being in a cave doesn't seem to reduce ticks.

Btw I found that leaving them on the ground (piles or not) didn't make them decay faster, actually. I left three on the ground for one rl day or so and one did not even take dmg, the others on the 10ish dmg. Very bizarre behaviour.

Edited by Grandexeno
  • Like 1

[19:33:40] It is 20:55:11 on Luck day in week 3 of the Snake's starfall in the year of 1063.

All snowballs decayed out of my icebox....could technically have been yesterday but I wasn't on because I needed some sleep IRL. How is this lasting till summer?