Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Newspring Bridge

Newspring Bridge  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What type of bridge do you want to Newspring?

• Flat Stone
    • Flat Marble
    • Arched Stone
    • Arched Marble

On 12/28/2016 at 4:09 AM, Ostentatio said:

Just dropped ~3800 dirt in crates at Nsb South.

Forgot to say, thank you :)

10 hours ago, Shmeric said:

But maybe John just on the other side of a hill from your place does care because he visits his grandmother on Newspring every third Sunday.

If we talk about the same John, I bet you that he simply checks her property so that he loots the place when she's gone. A nice bridge will help him take the livestock as well but I doubt he cares about the type. :P

5 hours ago, Erlindur said:

If we talk about the same John, I bet you that he simply checks her property so that he loots the place when she's gone. A nice bridge will help him take the livestock as well but I doubt he cares about the type. :P

Livestock are people too, and should enjoy the luxury of a bridge.

South landing base camp is now complete. It includes: a 5 bed bunk-house, a workshop / cookhouse, Mailbox(101), Hosepen (with enchanted grass!) Nahjo altar, and 2 empty altars. 

Now both the North and South base camps are complete and ready to house any workers on this project. Permissions will be set to kingdom once work begins.

I like the curved one a lot more, the other one just has too many pillars

• Like 3

I think it is safe to say that we will be using the arched bridge format for The Bridge.  Whether we are using marble or stone is not yet decided.  According to the poll above many people really enjoy the aesthetic of marble.  The only problem with marble is how unavailable it is to a wide margin of players, however, if those who consider themselves primary contributors to the project wish to use up the marble they have then we will certainly go that route.

20 marble veins in cave canal middle of xanadu... that the longest

Have a dozen of crates with marble shards that i like to donate on this project, digging out more at te moment.

• Like 1

Just checked our marble storage and Shmeric and I have ~ 6 crates full which will go towards the bridge if that's the way it will go.

And if there is 20 veins of marble in the central Xanadu cave canal then I do not think there would be any shortage of marble for this project. Will just take a little bit of time to mine it out.

If we go with a stone bridge, I have several bins of rock shards I'm willing to donate.

I also plan on harvesting some more dirt for this in the near future, although I can't guarantee when.

57 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

If we go with a stone bridge, I have several bins of rock shards I'm willing to donate.

I also plan on harvesting some more dirt for this in the near future, although I can't guarantee when.

How about we use the stone for highway bricks, and we'll make the bridge marble?

• Like 1

This is going to sound very ironic, but I think marble might be a bit too ostentatious looking. For a project this big, though, I guess it might make sense for it to be.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Slickshot said:

How about we use the stone for highway bricks, and we'll make the bridge marble?

You also need rock shards for a marble bridge ;)

6 hours ago, Faldor said:

You also need rock shards for a marble bridge ;)

Just not as many. lol

On 1/4/2017 at 2:34 PM, Slickshot said:

I like that idea... although I have to say, I love the way slate looks...

The 'holidays' have been over for almost a week now and I still haven't heard about any real work on this project. I have only seen discussions about the aesthetic values of the bridge itself. While the bridge itself will still need thousands of dirt before it can be completed there is another part of this project that can be worked on now, and that is the highway.

I have already build 2 two base camps on either side of the bridge so that people have a place to sleep/work/park boats/store horses/pray/conduct business/drop off supplies. After those were complete I started planning a highway on the island side of the bridge. I found a route and I have started construction. I plan to build a pass OVER the mountain straight west from the bridge landing. I have done this work without informing Ostentatio (the highway team leader).

Let me tell you a little something about this bridge..

Before the public was even aware of this project it was already underway. Shmeric had planned a bridge and dropped hundreds of thousands of dirt into the ocean. I had seen him doing this for months while I sat by thinking he was crazy. Eventually he told me that if I wanted to help I could start building the highways that would attach this bridge to the pre-existing highways. Two days later I was lurking on the forums and saw that there was talk of a Newspring bridge, and someone else replied to that post saying that 'someone' had already started dropping the piles for the bridge as could be seen from the topographic map. I contacted Shmeric and told him about the discovery, and he decided to come clean. Now the community is involved in this project, and I for one am glad for it. 

This post might serve as a call to action, but that is not my intention. All I really want to say is that I am not waiting anymore. I am (and already have) started building the highway. I will continue to do so with or without anyone's help. 

I also want to express that this post is in no way against Slickshot (project coordinator) or Ostentatio (Highway team leader).

Remember, this project was underway before the community knew about it and it will be completed with or without their help.

Thanks for listening ;)

• Like 5

14 hours ago, veste said:

The 'holidays' have been over for almost a week now and I still haven't heard about any real work on this project. I have only seen discussions about the aesthetic values of the bridge itself. While the bridge itself will still need thousands of dirt before it can be completed there is another part of this project that can be worked on now, and that is the highway.

I have already build 2 two base camps on either side of the bridge so that people have a place to sleep/work/park boats/store horses/pray/conduct business/drop off supplies. After those were complete I started planning a highway on the island side of the bridge. I found a route and I have started construction. I plan to build a pass OVER the mountain straight west from the bridge landing. I have done this work without informing Ostentatio (the highway team leader).

Let me tell you a little something about this bridge..

Before the public was even aware of this project it was already underway. Shmeric had planned a bridge and dropped hundreds of thousands of dirt into the ocean. I had seen him doing this for months while I sat by thinking he was crazy. Eventually he told me that if I wanted to help I could start building the highways that would attach this bridge to the pre-existing highways. Two days later I was lurking on the forums and saw that there was talk of a Newspring bridge, and someone else replied to that post saying that 'someone' had already started dropping the piles for the bridge as could be seen from the topographic map. I contacted Shmeric and told him about the discovery, and he decided to come clean. Now the community is involved in this project, and I for one am glad for it. 

This post might serve as a call to action, but that is not my intention. All I really want to say is that I am not waiting anymore. I am (and already have) started building the highway. I will continue to do so with or without anyone's help. 

I also want to express that this post is in no way against Slickshot (project coordinator) or Ostentatio (Highway team leader).

Remember, this project was underway before the community knew about it and it will be completed with or without their help.

Thanks for listening ;)

Don't be upset if/when we ask for permission from the GM's to destroy the highway IF need be to reroute it.  Just a heads up.  Also, although the holidays may be over for YOU it doesn't mean they're over for everyone.  Keep that in mind as you patiently await construction, thanks.

I would also very much appreciate it if you would allow Ostentatio to map the highway was well.  There is a reason I put Ostentatio as the highway leader.  Look at it this way; more eyes on the highway plan makes for a better route altogether. :)

Edited by Slickshot

Hope this dos not  go the same way as your Maple Island bridge plans.

The bridge as described was planned long ago , and talked about in chat by Shemric and others.

Now I see Slick come in and try to take it over...

• Like 1

I can understand choosing a different route for the highway... afterall, there are as many options as there are people to see them... but why would you destroy to reroute rather than simply attaching to and providing an alternate route?

• Like 1

Oh, if needed, I know where there is at least one marble vein in south central Newspring Island.  Might take a little to find it since it has been a while but let me know if it is needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

Hope this dos not  go the same way as your Maple Island bridge plans.

The bridge as described was planned long ago , and talked about in chat by Shemric and others.

Now I see Slick come in and try to take it over...

Shmeric and I spoke in private about this, and allowed me to come into the plan as a co-manager of sorts.  I haven't taken anything over. lol

4 hours ago, Slickshot said:

Don't be upset if/when we ask for permission from the GM's to destroy the highway IF need be to reroute it.  Just a heads up.  Also, although the holidays may be over for YOU it doesn't mean they're over for everyone.  Keep that in mind as you patiently await construction, thanks.

I would also very much appreciate it if you would allow Ostentatio to map the highway was well.  There is a reason I put Ostentatio as the highway leader.  Look at it this way; more eyes on the highway plan makes for a better route altogether. :)

Ok, I am fine with that. I will completely stop work on the highway for the time being.

I will work on a personal project in the meantime, which is building a road to a silver vein that I found near my deed while scouting for the highway. If the GM's see fit to destroy that road to make room for a highway I will not be upset, because at this rate by the time that happens that silver vein will be depleted, and that road will no longer be required.

I should also point out that I personally do not like the way that single tile wide roads look so I may be building a 2 tile wide road to that silver vein.

When the time comes to resume the work on the highway/bridge project I will be there to help. That is of course, if I am not on holiday at the time.

• Like 2

Uh uh, this is a drama free zone here :)

Nobody has taken over anything. Slick's doing what I find annoying to do, and that's public relations. I do what I like to do, that's... moving dirt around, I guess.

Nefer (aka Veste) has done a lot of scouting in Newspring mountains already and has quite a nice route planned over the cliffs (and days of work done on it). A man of less talks and more actions, as he is :)
It may not be perfect in all opinions, but it's a start and can be improved if anyone ever finds the need for it.

On the "visual" front, looks like marble arch has most votes. I have started making marble bricks already with those shards we have in our storage. Should be enough for the first bridge section anyway.

Digging dirt and making bricks, that's some good way to spend time on two accounts, eh.

Anyway.

Keep on rocking!

• Like 1

So the decision is made for the marble bridge ?

Just to be sure that I can start cutting out marble veins ;)