Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Newspring Bridge

Newspring Bridge  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What type of bridge do you want to Newspring?

• Flat Stone
    • Flat Marble
    • Arched Stone
    • Arched Marble

5 hours ago, Pox said:

Has anyone thought to ask the residents of Newspring if we actually want a bridge built over to us? D:

I'm going to use a textbook political answer here when it comes to building new things that nobody wants.

This project will create new jobs, will boost economy and trade, will increase and open cultural connections and tourism. This is only a good thing for everyone.

It will have no negative impact on nature and environment. 

<insert lesser famous TV star voice and face> I APPROVE OF THIS! :D

Can't argue with that :P

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Shmeric said:

Looks like the poll was moved to Xanadu section, meh.

Anyhow, a bump to it, those who care should really vote before the year ends because 2017 we'll start building first sections.

So far it seems to be flat stone. Personally I love the looks of long arched bridges, but looks like I'll be on the losing side :(

Also, as far as I know, ships will get stuck on the bridge supports, but if you want that... :unsure:

To clarify, the dirt pillars are three stories high, bridges will NOT be connected to buildings, the bridge will be 3 tiles wide.

If the flat bridge is not a reasonable idea, you don't actually have to abide by the poll though, do you? This is a huge project, and we shouldn't be making it harder for ourselves just because some forum people clicked a button. 

6 hours ago, Pox said:

Has anyone thought to ask the residents of Newspring if we actually want a bridge built over to us? D:

I had wondered about that, but that is a starter town so the point is a bit moot.  Also, Shmeric has a deed at the landing point so we aren't disrupting anyone else's land.  Also.... It's a starting town island. Lol

1 hour ago, NeeNee said:

If the flat bridge is not a reasonable idea, you don't actually have to abide by the poll though, do you? This is a huge project, and we shouldn't be making it harder for ourselves just because some forum people clicked a button. 

I brought this up in private with Shmeric about the material costs of flat vs arched--he didn't seem too worried, which is fair.  I think he really only prefers the asthetics of arched over flat, but doesn't mind the material count. :)

• Like 1

As long as I've been playing (not too long) I've seen people say in Freedom "someone should just build a bridge to NS" and "about time we get a bridge built to us". Yes, there have been a couple opinions against it, along the lines "but we're happy here and we don't really need mainland".

Then I sail around and sometimes I've seen those corpses floating in the sea, between the island and mainland. And couple times I've picked up drowning new players who didn't have skill or knowledge of the game. Heartbreaking!

The bridge is just another highway connecting just another starter town to already existing network. It is far from any existing deeds and doesn't get on the way of any natural or manmade landmarks.

Long story short, I started building it and intend to finish it because nobody asked me if I really wanted the Glasshollow market to be remade or if I like the highway from Linton to Summerholt. (for the record, these are just random examples towards which I have no hostile feelings; in fact I love the new highways).

As for the bridge type, I guess in the end the builders-planners make the decision. The poll is maybe... just to give you a feeling of democracy, thee heee heee.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

I brought this up in private with Shmeric about the material costs of flat vs arched--he didn't seem too worried, which is fair.  I think he really only prefers the asthetics of arched over flat, but doesn't mind the material count. :)

Considering all the other work and dirt involved, I'm not too worried about bricks & mortar.

14 minutes ago, Shmeric said:

As long as I've been playing (not too long) I've seen people say in Freedom "someone should just build a bridge to NS" and "about time we get a bridge built to us". Yes, there have been a couple opinions against it, along the lines "but we're happy here and we don't really need mainland".

Then I sail around and sometimes I've seen those corpses floating in the sea, between the island and mainland. And couple times I've picked up drowning new players who didn't have skill or knowledge of the game. Heartbreaking!

The bridge is just another highway connecting just another starter town to already existing network. It is far from any existing deeds and doesn't get on the way of any natural or manmade landmarks.

Agreed. I live on the outskirts of Newspring, and have given people rides to the mainland before, and seen a few death piles.

It would also be wonderful to be able to bring animals to and from the mainland. It would be a shame if I were to move somewhere else someday and have to leave them all behind.

For what it's worth, I have spoken to one or two others who have been opposed to the idea in the past, but they appear to be significantly in the minority.

• Like 2

As for the bridge type I don't have a huge preference.  The arched bridge is easier, yet the flat bridge will look better over the span.  I never cared much for multiple arched bridges that connect together.  Single span arches are better, imo.  Large span flats, however, look more majestic to me in a minimalist kind of way with everything being neat right-angles and perpendicular.  Just my two irons!

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 1

If I had faith that people would continue to vote if I changed the polling I'd narrow it down to the two favorite options:  flat stone or arched marble.  What do all you out there think?  Should the poll be narrowed to find the majority favorite? (I don't really consider anything below 51% to be the majority)  Let me know.

There's also no need for every bridge section to be identical. You could always make it mostly flat stone, with arched stone sections at 1 or 2 points (in the middle?), for a sort of "bridge overpass".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

There's also no need for every bridge section to be identical. You could always make it mostly flat stone, with arched stone sections at 1 or 2 points (in the middle?), for a sort of "bridge overpass".

I actually hate bridges built this way. haha  Always looked silly to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slickshot said:

If I had faith that people would continue to vote if I changed the polling I'd narrow it down to the two favorite options:  flat stone or arched marble.  What do all you out there think?  Should the poll be narrowed to find the majority favorite? (I don't really consider anything below 51% to be the majority)  Let me know.

I'd see it as almost 62% wanting a stone bridge, with it being almost even between arched and flat. So I'd go for a new poll between flat and arched stone over a new poll between flat stone and arched marble as marble has clearly lost to stone already.

29 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

I'd see it as almost 62% wanting a stone bridge, with it being almost even between arched and flat. So I'd go for a new poll between flat and arched stone over a new poll between flat stone and arched marble as marble has clearly lost to stone already.

Breaking it down makes as it is an even split between flat or arched styles:  17 people so far want a flat bridge and 17 want an arched bridge.  Makes sense to me to poll for those two types.  We'll see if people want a more specific vote narrowed down or not. *waiting for comments*

Edited by Slickshot

9 hours ago, Slickshot said:

I had wondered about that, but that is a starter town so the point is a bit moot.  Also, Shmeric has a deed at the landing point so we aren't disrupting anyone else's land.  Also.... It's a starting town island. Lol

I've been here going on 2 months and I've yet to see a single newbie show up at the newbie town. Also, the newbie "town" is a crossroads with a deed token and a couple of guards and that's it. There's no town, there's no people and nothing happens in it. Meanwhile several player built communities are nearby, Whispering Mountain is a town, the port, etc. So about 1% of the island is the "newbie town" that isn't even a town.

40 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

Added sample bridge pics from Deedplanner to the OP

Seeing the pics, arched looks way better than flat.

I would like the flat stone look better if it were higher above the water. As it is, arched is fine, as long as it's a very shallow arch.

Also, can the dirt pillars be paved? Plain/grass dirt pillars look REALLY weird.

Yes they can and will be paved.

Edit: oh you mean the entire structure?  Possibly.  We'll see how that goes.

Edited by Slickshot

Thanks for being so dismissive. Have fun building your bridge.

7 hours ago, Pox said:

Thanks for being so dismissive. Have fun building your bridge.

Simply put: from what we've seen there are more people who want the bridge than there are those who don't want it.  I don't see how there's any argument against that fact.  We're not being dismissive, it just is what it is.  You could help us build it, ya know?

I don't understand the importance you all give to the poll. I live half a server away, I have not the skills nor the materials to get involved and the whole project does not affect me in any way I can imagine. Yet you give me the same right to vote as someone that will put his time and mats into building that bridge. Yeah it looks nice and democratic but in the end just make a poll between the builders and the local community to decide. Who cares what the rest of us say?

1 hour ago, Erlindur said:

I don't understand the importance you all give to the poll. I live half a server away, I have not the skills nor the materials to get involved and the whole project does not affect me in any way I can imagine. Yet you give me the same right to vote as someone that will put his time and mats into building that bridge. Yeah it looks nice and democratic but in the end just make a poll between the builders and the local community to decide. Who cares what the rest of us say?

Wait and see. ;)

5 hours ago, Erlindur said:

Who cares what the rest of us say?

Nice people do :)

It's an option for those who want.

Maybe you live half a server away and never use it. But maybe John just on the other side of a hill from your place does care because he visits his grandmother on Newspring every third Sunday.

Yeah, in the end the builders decide, this is true. But the builders may base their decision more or less on public opinion :)

3 hours ago, Shmeric said:

Nice people do :)

It's an option for those who want.

Maybe you live half a server away and never use it. But maybe John just on the other side of a hill from your place does care because he visits his grandmother on Newspring every third Sunday.

Yeah, in the end the builders decide, this is true. But the builders may base their decision more or less on public opinion :)

I know Peter Cottontail sure hops down the Newspring Trail.