Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Newspring Bridge

Newspring Bridge  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What type of bridge do you want to Newspring?

• Flat Stone
    • Flat Marble
    • Arched Stone
    • Arched Marble

4 hours ago, veste said:

For the most part, yes. There is a highway that runs North - South on the island, it will attach to that.

The new highway will run basically straight west from the bridge landing. either over or through the mountains. (I prefer over)

Later today or early tomorrow I will make a new youtube video showing the progress that has been made, and with the proposed route.

I ask only because the infrastructure on Newspring is kind of... rickety. You might actually be referring to the highway I built a while back; I'll check out the video when you post it and see if I have any advice.

Ok, I have made two video's one about a path through / over the mountain another around the coast.

Mountain Pass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6--qkxZuo&feature=youtu.be

Coastal Highway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA3GLFdbs80&feature=youtu.be

The mountain pass video only goes over the path through the mountain itself. I have estimated where it might attach to existing highways, but did not consider the state of those highways as they are.

The mountain pass is a pretty big project in itself, but I think it is the best option.

The 2nd video is about a coastal highway, which I don't think will be possible because of how built up the area is. 

More details are in each video.

Edited by veste
rewrote entire thing, added links
  • Like 1

The first bridge section is planned and being built.

Those who are close and would like some masonry ticks, come fast, because Cevanne is just throwing the materials in it!

• Like 3

First section done!

Cheers to Cevanne, Thorakkanath and Nefer for swinging their trowels.

Also, Nefer was so kind and recorded a short video, showing current progress and what-is-going-to-happen thoughts about the project. Enjoy :)

Edited by Shmeric
  • Like 5

Ah looks great, grats!. I hope I won't miss the next round of brick throwing, will be happy to join to glue the stuff together.

I'm so impressed it hurts!  Good job guys.  Hopefully I'll have some time soon to drag my butt over and actually get to work.  Been pretty preoccupied IRL.

So I am a bit late to the party but nice start.  I talked to Thoroakinshield  and he asked me If I would be willing to make lamps for the whole bridge.

I would be glad to do so and would probably make them all 50QL and I have some 89QL white dye that should cover it all>?

Since when the new update comes out Blessing a lamp will make it never need to be refueled (not in game yet) it begs the question of do we want One lamp every 4 tiles or so down the middle or do we want  2 lamps (once each side of the bridge with middle lane clear) across the bridge?

Also due to my Vanity and Glory hogging I want the full commission for all lamps that I would make to cover the whole route.  Why well lets say I am working on my Posterity for future Wurm generations :)

Do we have a total tile count going all the way across the bridge as well?

Edited by puncher

1 hour ago, puncher said:

...  I talked to Thoroakinshield  and he asked me......

I am hurt......what's my name?

• Like 1

Feels strange to have them in the middle of the road, so I'd put them on each side, or just on one side of the road.

50ql or better is fine, and whatever colors you can mix up. Make it a rainbow for all I care, it's not like you can get lost there anyway, at least it's pretty to watch.

9 hours ago, puncher said:

full commission

This I cannot promise you, and I don't want to promise.

If you get them done and delivered before anyone else does - yeah, then I can say "well, we've got all the lamps we need." Until then, it's an open market, volunteer market may I add. Whoever donates free (helpful) stuff, I will say thanks to :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, puncher said:

So I am a bit late to the party but nice start.  I talked to Thoroakinshield  and he asked me If I would be willing to make lamps for the whole bridge.

I would be glad to do so and would probably make them all 50QL and I have some 89QL white dye that should cover it all>?

Since when the new update comes out Blessing a lamp will make it never need to be refueled (not in game yet) it begs the question of do we want One lamp every 4 tiles or so down the middle or do we want  2 lamps (once each side of the bridge with middle lane clear) across the bridge?

Also due to my Vanity and Glory hogging I want the full commission for all lamps that I would make to cover the whole route.  Why well lets say I am working on my Posterity for future Wurm generations :)

Do we have a total tile count going all the way across the bridge as well?

We'll alternate the lamps from one side of the bridge to the other, every 4 tiles.  It makes a zig-zag pattern.

• Like 1

Neenee has arrived with building supplies and two idle helping hands to help the cause. Yay!

• Like 1

Work on the highway system that will connect to the bridge is also progressing

(having bridges of its own as well)

Some more screenies:

Spoiler

f5c877a467123a97268928517f827dfc.jpg

Spoiler

5b3074f903e7e79fffd6bc88e9a53894.jpg

Spoiler

e8622b4c666efea2889d36d3d734d184.jpg

• Like 3

Dug a little more dirt up, and am working on some bricks. I didn't realize how big this bridge was going to be. Come and help, Xanadanians? Xanadites? 

Can we possibly get an infographic of the map with the bridge plan and highway route

In my initial topic, which has got somewhat lost in history, I've explained it a little more in detail. I haven't updated it with progress anymore.

In short, here's the bridge plan, highway in Newspring island will most probably go straight west, over the mountains (currently in works).

6W9Na1G.png

and here's the mainland highway, most recent plan that I know of

6b494330cdf1932a058d280afb52ac09.png

Edited by Shmeric
  • Like 2

Thanks Shmeric. I'm interested in helping but skills limit the logistics and needed to kinda see where I would be needed. Currently living in Eden on the southern coast. Hopefully soon I will have my ship complete or be able to help out on Newspring 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the video and maps so the rest of us can see what is happening. Wow, impressive work already :o I'd come down and lend a hand, but I am on the opposite side of the continent, and have my own highway project I'm tinkering with.

The second bridge section has been planned. 3x33 tiles, who is close and wants to get some masonry experience, head on down!

.... and it's done. Thorakkanath and Cevanne, thanks :)

Edited by Shmeric

This is looking great folks!  I started on Newspring so am glad to see it is getting some love!

When the time comes I'll donate my magical skills to blessing those lamps.

I will also be glad to donate a consecrated statue of the glorious moon goddess Alcifer.

(When I get back home march 5th that is)

• Like 1

Those have been some quiet 3 weeks since the last update, not much has happened. Yet another 170 crates of dirt has been dropped for the next dirt island, it is now about 1/3 done.

Big Cheers go out to Siluroo and Nempis who both donated a lot of dirt! :)

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:03 PM, Shmeric said:

In my initial topic, which has got somewhat lost in history, I've explained it a little more in detail. I haven't updated it with progress anymore.

In short, here's the bridge plan, highway in Newspring island will most probably go straight west, over the mountains (currently in works).

6W9Na1G.png

Why not dogleg that one spot that looks wide and make it cut the corner to the main land? Seems it would save you some dirt.

Like this;

b601a2ae623c53f8872acd8a8f6ff4e8.png

2 minutes ago, Talohan said:

Why not dogleg that one spot that looks wide and make it cut the corner to the main land? Seems it would save you some dirt.

Like this;

b601a2ae623c53f8872acd8a8f6ff4e8.png

Lol, and how do you build diagonal bridges? :)