Sign in to follow this  
The Moidart

Windows 10

I am using Win 7 and am pretty happy with it. I tried Windows 8 and did not find the UI very user friendly at all. I am, and have always been reluctant to upgrade to newer versions, but have heard that 10 offers some performance improvements over 7. Anyone find this to be the case?

I'd still be using 98SE if I could!

Windows 10 is an upgrade from 8, 8.1 and 7. If you're able to upgrade I'd suggest you do, simply because of the better support. I'm a very versatile guy, I play many kind of games including many emulators. I use recording software and many other very random things, I've yet to find some sort of limitation. Windows 10 has felt like an upgrade for me and it has not stopped me from doing anything I did in previous windows. So if the upgrade is free, take it.

• Like 1

I bought a second computer not long ago that came with Windows10. Their browser called Edge does not accept Java, meaning that you can't even download Java unless you install another browser like IE and then set it as your main browser. After doing that and downloading Java and then Wurm, Java would keep crashing on me and giving an error message. After some time of reclogging into Wurm it would stay up for a while and then gradually these continual crashes would go away.

Then there is the problem with ground textures all loading on top of each other and flashing from one to the next as I move along through the game. My main computer is Windows7 HP and has none of these issues. So not too pleased with W10 and would much prefer that my newer computer never had it without any choice to reject the upgrade, as I did on my older one.

=Ayes=

You can install Java from Microsoft Edge easily. I use www.ninite.com usually, regardless of browser, but running a Java installer should work just fine.

That said, Edge is still a pile of trash that breaks at a moment's notice.

Your problem with ground textures sounds more like a common issue with Intel graphics chipsets, but it could have other causes.

56 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Your problem with ground textures sounds more like a common issue with Intel graphics chipsets, but it could have other causes.

Mostly with Win10 intel drivers maybe; I am pretty sure that Win7 drivers used to have this issue then fixed it years ago. Win8 maybe fixed theirs (I am not sure?? Maybe they all just migrated to W10) and now anytime I hear about "ground terrain keeps shifting"  it is due to Win10 intel graphics drivers.  If you have 'switchable graphics" then it sounds like it is not using the gaming graphics, search these forums for the word "switchable" and a walkthrough of a fix should come up. 

I have never heard of any other causes, though reenabling GLSL shaders might solve it. 

I'm using windows 7. Upgraded to windows 10 for a bit but it crashed all the time, would not properly install new updates and didn't detect SLI, so back to 7 I went.

My sister uses windows 10, it randomly consumes a lot of bandwith, resulting in 600+ pings in games like league of legends. Her pc never had windows 7, else she'd downgrade immediatly.

So my experience with it has been terrible. My friends on the other hand have no issues whatsoever... If you have no reason to upgrade than I'd just stick to 7 unless you can get 10 for free and try it out. If it doesn't work out then you can downgrade within a month (or make a backup first and downgrade manually).

2 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Mostly with Win10 intel drivers maybe; I am pretty sure that Win7 drivers used to have this issue then fixed it years ago. Win8 maybe fixed theirs (I am not sure?? Maybe they all just migrated to W10) and now anytime I hear about "ground terrain keeps shifting"  it is due to Win10 intel graphics drivers.  If you have 'switchable graphics" then it sounds like it is not using the gaming graphics, search these forums for the word "switchable" and a walkthrough of a fix should come up. 

I have never heard of any other causes, though reenabling GLSL shaders might solve it. 

Intel graphics chipsets only barely support OpenGL, and what it does support, it does poorly. That's about the extent of my knowledge on the matter.

2 hours ago, Ecrir said:

My sister uses windows 10, it randomly consumes a lot of bandwith

This might not be the problem, but I suggest going into your Windows Update settings and making sure it's not set to download/upload updates to/from other computers on the LAN or internet. That's a fun little curveball they're throwing at us.

Good to read some replies on these Win10 issues but am not one to spend frustrating hours attempting to resolve problems that I know little about. Buy a computer and play your games on it is close to about what I can accomplish. I have had a very hard time finding out how to adjust basic settings in Win10 that I am familiar with and easily accomplish on my main computer with Win7HP. Always the new complexities with new Windows "improved" editions, it seems to me.

=Ayes=

My windows upgrades have for the most part been regrettable experiences, beginning with 98SE to windows ME. 

On 12/20/2016 at 1:52 PM, Ayes said:

Good to read some replies on these Win10 issues but am not one to spend frustrating hours attempting to resolve problems that I know little about. Buy a computer and play your games on it is close to about what I can accomplish. I have had a very hard time finding out how to adjust basic settings in Win10 that I am familiar with and easily accomplish on my main computer with Win7HP. Always the new complexities with new Windows "improved" editions, it seems to me.

=Ayes=

Stock browsers are the worse, Edge is just Explorer with a new look, both horrible, I don't think there is a single good stock browser out there worth using.

As for Windows 10, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that has no issues, and for the conspiracy theorist, I have nothing to hide. In the end everybody will be forced to upgrade or stay in the dark with an outdated OS meaning everything will eventually become incompatible for you.. so you can hold on as long as you want but you will make the jump eventually :3

Windows 8/81 was an abomination though. Windows XP was my favorite, but due to gaming I had to upgrade to 7 eventually.

Edited by Legios

I've been using Windows 10 almost since the release and it's always been fine. And it's really much faster than Win7.

• Like 2

Just now, Samool said:

I've been using Windows 10 almost since the release and it's always been fine. And it's really much faster than Win7.

It is, even faster is you put it on a SSD.

I've found Windows 10 much more convenient to use than Windows 7.  I like Win7 a lot, stayed far away from Win8 and 8.1.

Decided to give Windows 10 a shot when I saw we can finally resize cmd.exe  To me, that was an indication IT was back in charge of development instead of a money manager that thought technology was "magic."

I also installed Win10 on my mac using Apple's boot-thing.  Honestly the mac looks and functions better with Win10.  Go figure.  I do have graphical glitches playing Wurm on that laptop though on account of the intel graphics chip.  Not at all the main purpose of that computer though.

The edge browser is continually getting upgrades and is not the only one I use.  The main thing I like about it, and even more so when initially released, is it's meant to have a light footprint.  Chrome, Firefox, IE are great, and I use Firefox a lot these days, but they're heavier.

I believe Edge is also meant to serve as a vessel for other apps, such as the Netflix and Hulu apps.  It simplifies the process of coding for phone, tablet, pc, laptop, etc.  Could be wrong, but fairly certain that plays a role in how Edge is developed.  It's meant to be stripped down to the canvas so devs can use it as a foundation to build up their own content/needs and plug right in without having to get into the guts of it all.

Far as the bandwidth consumption... there's a lot of dynamic content and informational updates automatically turned on in Win10.  They can be disabled if your bandwidth suffers too much.  Things like live tiles for example.  I like the weather app to be live, but don't need a news app refreshing headlines and pics.

Using the 950XL as my phone and must say, being immersed in Microsoft's eco-system has been really convenient, and dependable.  All platforms with have issues.  This latest round of Microsoft's developments have actually been really solid and promising for the future.

No, I do not work for Microsoft nor receive any compensation for singing their praise.

I upgraded to W10 th same day it was available to me. No regrets here.

I tried win10 for a time but it kept deactivating certan software, and yes they were legal, so i booted it and went back to 8.1 my surface pro has wn10 on it, laptop has 8.1

i was considering upgrading again to 10 so i can buy n download forza horizon 3, but decided to go with the xb1 version instead.

conclusion, dont get win10 unless you are a sucker for punishment lol

6 hours ago, ozmods said:

I tried win10 for a time but it kept deactivating certan software, and yes they were legal, so i booted it and went back to 8.1 my surface pro has wn10 on it, laptop has 8.1

i was considering upgrading again to 10 so i can buy n download forza horizon 3, but decided to go with the xb1 version instead.

Just curious, what do you mean by deactivating, and what type of software was it affecting?

33 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

Just curious, what do you mean by deactivating, and what type of software was it affecting?

meaning every time I went to use it, it would throw the reactivation screen at me, I was using a very expensive 3d application, that I have been using for some years, never had a problem with other versions of winblows just winblows 10

17 hours ago, ozmods said:

Well if you bought digital you still get the pc version :3

retail version, finally got it working, stupid thing wouldn't install without updating a 7gb update,

win 10 here since 10 release, been without a hitch outside of the standard default windows drivers for graphics being crap and having to reinstall nvidia drivers, which is np

dunno why people hate it (i havent clicked the links) outside of bad experiences updating os but who can expect all updates of this capacity to go flawlessly for everyone?  the windows update changes that kinda mostly force it on you sucks, but the os is really much smoother and faster than 7.  if i had to decide going back to 7 or sticking with 10, i wouldn't ever go back to 7 and i thought 7 was great