Sign in to follow this  
Nadroj

Rifts - Does the score even do anything past 60?

Wanted to crowdsource opinions on this one or hope for a dev answer because i got nerd-ragey at the rift today :P At 60 points you hit "phenominal" which is the "max particpation rank" and from what i can tell the game just doesn't bother to RNG diceroll your end prize chances past that. Today i scored between my two accounts at Exodus over 500 points and walked away with 1 lump each and 1 shoulder pad. Previous 3-4 rifts i've always walked away with more because....it seems like all you gotta do really is hit 60 then chill out because your efforts are pointless the rest is just waiting for the rift to be over and RNG.

If my presumption is wrong....well damn the numbers sure don't feel like it. Rifts are long winded, dangerous and often tedious and it just sorta feels like a giant slap when you get 395 participation points and get far less of a prize than the previous week when you scored 90 and got 4 items + a lump.

Plus...shouldn't someone who gets that 60 point max out be guaranteed at least one item?

tl;dr - Do you think its coded so 60 points maxes out your prize chance at the end?

score increases your chances, i recall someone posting a 104 score being told they had 3 rolls for loot because of that. Will nag budda tomorrow about actual details.

TL;DR it doesn't max it out at 60

• Like 1

Nice to know, goddamn my luck sucks the big one then. I scored 395 on Yomo and 110 on Nad and just got Seryll lumps and one pad between the two >.<.

What about the feeling you get from knowing you have helped your fellow commrads?! Isn't that better than any prize you could hope for? Hmm???

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Manik said:

What about the feeling you get from knowing you have helped your fellow commrads?! Isn't that better than any prize you could hope for? Hmm???

I literally lead rift creatures towards you and then run away!

• Like 6

New strategy, use a grooming brush on rift creatures

Domesticate them.

Fatten them up and then eat them.

• Like 1

Each level of participation (60 being the highest level) gives you an extra loot roll. Going over 60 increases your chance on each roll to get something.

problem i have is it seems the higher your participation number is the more likely you are to get lower weight lumps

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nadroj said:

I literally lead rift creatures towards you and then run away!

I knew that was you!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrGARY said:

problem i have is it seems the higher your participation number is the more likely you are to get lower weight lumps

395 score and 110 score i got a 0.26 lump and a 0.25 lump. So yeah.

Got to rift late and scored below a 60. Got .20 lump and a shoulder pad.

Edited by Manik

1 hour ago, Psalamon said:

By God you just proved Nadroj's point relevant....?!?!?!

I'm scared too.

• Like 2

Took several weeks off rifts after the dissapointment in my OP here hit me. Today i went back and did one, this time with 3 accounts so i was "sure" to get something nice right?

Shellbee - 445 points - Just a lump

Yomo - 314 - Lump and 2 shoulder pads.
Nadroj - 119 - Just a lump

over 800 points, two items. *sigh*

What the hell are the chances for this!? goddamn!

Edited by Nadroj

I scored over 200 once, won nothing apart from a little metal. 
the next time i scored 80 and won 2 items and the little metal.

This pleased me because it encourages teamwork.
which, considering how challenging rifts can be, is more important than personal gain

Whilst thinking about it and attending rifts,  I kept being pleased by how i thought the system worked, until the non-fighting exploiters of rift mats came to threaten the positivity of this experience.

On 16/12/2016 at 0:03 AM, Budda said:

Going over 60 increases your chance on each roll to get something.

I wish that were untrue. 
If someone asks how the loot works at an event, i won't lie to them, but i can't see myself volunteering that information very readily.

5 minutes ago, Steveleeb said:

I scored over 200 once, won nothing apart from a little metal. 
the next time i scored 80 and won 2 items and the little metal.

This pleased me because it encourages teamwork.
which, considering how challenging rifts can be, is more important than personal gain

Whilst thinking about it and attending rifts,  I kept being pleased by how i thought the system worked, until the non-fighting exploiters of rift mats came to threaten the positivity of this experience.

I wish that were untrue. 
If someone asks how the loot works at an event, i won't lie to them, but i can't see myself volunteering that information very readily.

How does it encourage teamwork if i don't feel like there's any point in going because i'll get nothing but the warm fuzzy feeling that me and my "team" won the rift?
I used 10 90QL gems today helping out my "team" with casts and my conclusion at the end was that i definitely won't bother next time because thats twice in a row i put in lots of effort for minimal reward in a system that is supposed to use the participation points to determine that i deserved a good reward.

If 60 is the max number of rolls and anything higher is supposed to increase the chance of those rolls how the hell did getting 445 fail all of them!? Not for the first time either. One measly bit (seriously they're not even 1kg) of lump is just silly as a reward for the risk and effort put in.

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

How does it encourage teamwork if i don't feel like there's any point in going because i'll get nothing but the warm fuzzy feeling that me and my "team" won the rift?

random isn't nothing.
random is only nothing when you have misaligned expectations. 
Course you know this better than me, you've played for a long time.

I've accepted that we don't attend rifts for reward, we attend it for mats. 
unfortunately, you don't need points to qualify for the mats.. which has put me off rifts in a big way. 

I think you expect too much is all.
The system fails to reward based upon effort applied.
I entirely agree with that, all I'm saying is, when selfish effort is removed from the formulae, teamwork improves. 

Priests need more love, they put more into events than fighters. (assuming no one dies)
Unfortunately i don't play one so im having a hard time with empathy. 

I still believe that the problem here, is expectation. We don't know what to expect so we hope for the wrong things.

I agree that it needs more tinkering, especially concerning who qualifies to harvest the endgame resources. 
But i've stopped expecting anything from rifts, aside from hoping for a little adamantine. 
Hit-switching for a high score is fine on the first wave but beyond that, it's a little selfish. thus.. not doing it is good teamwork.
Heavy wave?.. Kill the caster before you switch, etc. 

In what universe does removing rewards from doing something improve the teamwork? If there were less rewards there'd just be less people there or it wouldn't get done at all. You're making really weird assumptions about the correlation between rewards and teamwork. How does removing my two priests from healing everyone (because im selfish and won't bring them if i don't expect a reward, according to your logic) improve the teamwork?

How does more people showing up and helping complete the rift (because they expect rewards) somehow instantly destroy teamwork?

Why is the bloody teamwork the priority here? If that was seriously the most important thing then by all means remove all rewards entirely and watch how there's no team to do the work ever.

I'm talking about the perspective of a fighter not a priest.
I have no more energy for this debate.
sorry.

I'm so confused what point you were even trying to make. There should be a fair reward system for effort put in. We have a participation points system for this but it seems like those points are completely arbitrary after 60 because you can totally get 445 and win nothing.

My main complaint here (regardless of weird priest vs fighter argument i'm confused about) is that if there is a point system in place it should feel like it's actually used to reward people based on those points. How it is at the moment doesn't feel that way.

35 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

My main complaint here  is that if there is a point system in place it should feel like it's actually used to reward people based on those points. How it is at the moment doesn't feel that way.

this may help..
if you're busy trying to get points, you won't be fighting like a team player.
was all i was trying to say.

-
edit;
Maybe the points should simply stop at 60.
but Buddha has indicated that higher than 60 does yield a potential result... even though i too, have seen no indication of this.

Edited by Steveleeb

Bet a donut this is another example of intent and reality being in 2 different places.   Intent is more than 60 = better chance, reality is logical flip and more than 60 = effecitively less chance.

Wouldn't be the first (2nd, 3rd, 10th etc) time this kind of thing happened, it's an easy mistake, particularly when mucking about with pools and weird logic for cut offs and weighting.

Edited by belthize

I didn't put hardly any effort in last night, scored lower end of the pack and received a seryl lump, broken bracelet and a shoulder pad at the end.

You trying to hard Nad!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

I didn't put hardly any effort in last night, scored lower end of the pack and received a seryl lump, broken bracelet and a shoulder pad at the end.

You trying to hard Nad!

Yeah i should just be a lazy ass and get the bare minimum every time then bugger off. I'm clearly doing something wrong by running 2 accounts casting heals to keep everyone alive. Next time screw em they can all die!

After month of rifts with relatively high scores (top 10), i have nothing but lumps, so meh, rift need to be rebalanced / rethinked. At that point (and with the late behavior of snatch everything of value) they are not worth the time spent at all.

• Like 3