Sign in to follow this  
Amory

Looking for a horse breeder in north Xanadu.

As the title states, I'm looking for an experienced horse breeder in north Xanadu. I am first and foremost interested in purchasing some horses but I also have a few questions about animal husbandry, specifically horse breeding. Just reply here or drop me a tell in game if you prefer, main is named Amory :) 

You can buy 4 and 5 speed horses cheep at glasshollow market also can pm rockybalboa for more info.

You also might ask your horse breeding questions in Town Square or Community Assistance, for this reason:  Not all veteran horse breeders agree on everything.  If you listen to one person, and years later say "Well that's what i was always told," it may simply mean you have been following bad advice for years. Although since not everyone agrees on everything, it's not always clear what constitutes 'good advice". But at least you can pick and choose which potentially bad advice, sounds rather suspiciously like "good advice'.

Some things even veteran horse breeders disagree on:

1) Is it critical to be a Fo Priest (for genesis/humid drizzle) or can you get by without that?

2) Is enchanted grass in 2x1 pens the best way to keep horses, or is it ok to just let them roam over a fenced farming area? Or use 1x1 pens inside an "indoors" barn? How much of that is practicality vs aesthetics?

3) Is it better to stop raising Animal Husbandry skill at 50 or should you work to get it as high as possible? Should you groom   horses every day? Twice a day? Once a week? Never unless they get diseased?

4) Do you keep offspring that have "neutral traits" such as Keen, Tough, Fierce? Or do you cull them? If you keep them, do you mention the other traits to buyers or only tell them about speed traits?

5) What about the longevity and disease resistant traits (Spark in Eyes/Strong & Healthy)

6) How serious a risk is inbreeding a brother & sister, or mother & son?

7) Does killing off the parents (erasing the names from the family tree) also eliminate inbreeding? 

8) Should you keep horses paired off in permanent breeding pairs, one male and one female, or just randomly swap them around? If you "mass swap" them what is a good ratio of females to males?

9) How helpful are programs such as Granger? What exactly do these programs do?

10) How do you know a fair price to ask for  horses? Is a horse with 9 traits worth more than one with 5 traits?

11) What do saddles, bridles and horse shoes actually do?  Do most horse sellers offer these along with the horse?

12) Why is my horse "Not in the mood"? He never seems to be in the mood! Is there anything I can do to get him in the mood? (ok that one might end up going weird places...)

13) How long can a horse go without food? How serious is disease? Do animals die of starvation or disease very often?

14) Is there an ideal age to sell horses?Is it ok/best to sell them as Foals? Aged? Veteran?

15) Is there a difference in prices for different colors, such as Bloodbay, Gray, Ebony Black? Are some types faster or better in any way?

16) How do hell horses compare to regular horses for a horse breeder? Do they require different strategies because of their aggression? What prices do they get?

17) A buyer said I was asking the wrong prices for my horses! Were they lying just to get a better price?

18) Is there any risk in using a pregnant horse to pull a cart? How do miscarriages happen and how can i prevent them?

19) Should I tame horses? Is that risky in any way? What about branding? What is the difference between those? What does "Caring For" do?

20) What exactly happens if you try to cross server lines leading a horse by boat? Can you go back and get it later, or is it deleted?

(I probably forgot some questions too)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

But at least you can pick and choose which potentially bad advice, sounds rather suspiciously like "good advice'.

Nice to see you posting on the forums again Brash. Your insights and helpful comments have been missed, even if as here they are mostly questions.

=Ayes=

All your advise is good advise Brash.

Amory if you are in the northwest Glasshollow.  If you are in the northeast try the NEXA they have a lot of breeders. 

Thanks for the replies guys. Im not too far from glasshollow, will make a visit! Thanks for your insight Brash, there is certainly more to think about when breeding than it appears! 

• Like 1

Nah is easy  female 5speed on male 5speed... and trying to avoid taboo activity

There is a good color-mix of young horses currently, mostly males:

Check back sometime soon for the new colors, which are now mature and breeding.  And take a look at our new bulk market while you're here! ;)