Sign in to follow this  
Zekezor

Meditation Rework

1 hour ago, Quicktor said:

why give someone PvE bonuses, when they aren't interested in PvE?

ye right, cause why not....look, if both sides have PvE and PvP bonuses there is a bigger portion of people that would be happy :)

you don't have to use the PvP abilities just as I don't have to use the PvE abilities if I don't want to, the big word here is CHOICES though

can't pvp in wurm without pve first. Gear doesn't just spawn out of thin air.

3 hours ago, TradingAlt said:

can't pvp in wurm without pve first. Gear doesn't just spawn out of thin air.

why restrict abilities to one side though? why not have a little bit of both?

i mean i dont actually know what you want to say with your post, but it seems like you agree with "rixk"?

Edited by Quicktor

+1 fsirly balanced suggestion, and I would support most if not all implimentation of this idea.

Would need to read more thoroughly to come up with solid no'z.

Mr gary, i see your point (only read page one.) But i love making path tiles with the restrictions. I work them in to designs for roadways and structure/greenspace planning. While sich a change would not impact my designs, it would make them redundant.

Why not a better means of creating them within the same restrictikns, as an alternative such as filling requirements and then denoting said tile as path tile?

I place rug, rclick > declare as path.

Simple requirement check, pass/fail, if fail, spit reason.

Why would an entire system be scrapped now after all these years of being told this was all intended?

there are obvious issues with the balance with meditation paths compared to path of insanity in terms of pvp. But why would the dev team want to scrap the system for one that would kill what this game is about? 

If the the wurm team feels because they don't know how to balance sotg vs all other paths that changes need to be made well then making the system like a WOW or LIF system is not the way to go. It would be nice to "unlock" abilities or the affectivness per level but this suggestion which it seems some devs find interesting where players will be able to customize their path take away so much of what this game has been about. At that point you might as well just add hit points being deducted from players as they get hit and quests to kill 500 tigers everyday. 

Currently paths have a uniqueness to them that they are all different and they all add something or else there would not be players in all different paths running around freedom. Perhaps on pvp servers that might be a different story but why would the dev team not work on seeing where the issue lies with what they currently have instead of brainstorming another half year project? 

There re have been many great ideas in this thread but the greatest one is the concept and not the actual ideas from my point of view. The concept which is start the abilities early on the paths and with each level reach new potencies of your ability and as you get higher in levels new abilities open with again the chance to increase the potency by continuing to level up in paths. This could also help and give a reason to reach beyond level 11. 

21 minutes ago, Spook said:

At that point you might as well just add hit points being deducted from players as they get hit

We got that.

21 minutes ago, Spook said:

and quests to kill 500 tigers everyday.

Thats known as valrei missions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spook said:

If the the wurm team feels because they don't know how to balance sotg vs all other paths that changes need to be made well then making the system like a WOW or LIF system is not the way to go. It would be nice to "unlock" abilities or the affectivness per level but this suggestion which it seems some devs find interesting where players will be able to customize their path take away so much of what this game has been about

The game where you are not locked into any set path, can generally pick and choose what skills you train at any time, and can go any do any task you want? Adding more choices to each meditation path in that game is bad?

• Like 8

i personally dont understand why you would say a larger variety of choices would be bad, its not taking any depth from the game at all it just makes it more appealing....

i have met so many people who never even thought of starting to meditate or even some who didnt know it existed, that in my opinion i would love to get a more in-depth like mechanic, hell even adding an interface for it so people would stumble upon it in the game itself and dont have to look into the wiki.

12 hours ago, Budda said:

The game where you are not locked into any set path, can generally pick and choose what skills you train at any time, and can go any do any task you want? Adding more choices to each meditation path in that game is bad?

So you think options within a path gives a better choice that adds to the system? Can I ask what is the difference between meditation and paths then at that point? How I see it is if you go this route you kill what paths have always been about, you remove a real choice and replace it with multi meditation choices that are no longer really affected as to which path but now by which ability, it would probably be easier to remove paths altogether if the multi choice idea comes into play because essentially that what multi choices does. 

When players choose a path currently they are making many choices already, where there med spot will be, which abilities they will unlock at certain level, they already make choices based on the paths abilities. Are you are trying to achieve the possibility of differences based on multi choices which are unlocked at levels to add variation per path per players choices? Will the new extra abilities coincide with what each path currently is about just a few extra options? And how will you handle balance between the paths in terms of pvp where there is no replacement for damage reduction? 

When will we see some more detailed comments made by the dev team about the direction rather then many of the vague comments currently made? With these changes will RNG be looked into and code in a failsafe default skill increase for the many RNG failures? And lastly will these changes take care of one of the biggest issues with Meditation which happens to be it takes to long to get any useable benefits unless you sink min 6 months up to 1 year into skilling before any noticeable difference?

@Spooki read your post and did go over the suggested change again....

this doesnt make sense at all, i mean your arguments.....the abilities you choose from are still unique in their path, you realized that yeah?

apart from that, its a meditation overhaul as it was named by retro in the last news, so i am pretty certain you will see things more fleshed out once its done.

Edited by Quicktor

I like the idea of these tweaks. It seems imbalanced at 1st but it's more role oriented.

My only objection would be to balanced similarly comparable paths (for example Power having greater bonuses than Insanity, when none is really a homestead's style).

If you consider them really, they give a sense of:

Hate, Power are combat paths

Insanity, Knowledge are all-around (PvP+PvE) utility paths

Love is a Homestead's utility path.

If these roles could also swap a bit so none seems too restricting and balance the benefits among them, I'd love to see this system in play.

Nice necro hehehehe......... 

I'll refrain from commenting on the other paths as I don't really know them but.... 

YUUUUUGE +1 on the triple harvest from enchanted trees and bushes.  Really goes in hand with 1.3 imho

I think the meditation action timer should be reduced to 1 minute. 1.5 - 2 minutes is a bit long to be waiting for an action to end that is only being performed to grind up.

Also, I personally think after a failed meditate action (no skill tick) you should be able to immediately meditate again and the cooldown timer should not kick in until a skill tick happens.

Was the original list edited at some point? I have a few questions I'll bring up when I reread through it all again. For the most part it looks pretty sound. I like the fact it stays with each paths roots that is what I have aimed for in every suggestion for meditation.. Looks like most good abilities are enhanced a bit and cool downs drastically dropped and that's a good thing. Possible few tweaks and most important part asking nicely for the devs to get it going. It doesn't look like there is a huge change for the devs part not as big as they make it out to be with the wording of meditation overhaul. This isn't much of a overhaul but more of simply moving the same abilities around allowing to be unlocked at lower obtainable levels and tweaking making some abilities actually useful all while making each path stay their course. 

Bump for that described in the OP with some tweaks. I don't see how turning meditation perks into a whole RPG skilltree system would help anything, especially since it's uneasy to design well. To give people more choice and less 'locked in' feeling, just make switching paths quick and easy.