Sign in to follow this  
Miretta

Change Player gods, to be personalized

I'm a bit sad, that player gods were seemingly chosen so randomly what skills and abilities their followers could have. When the player god system was introduced, I thought devs would contact each uprising player and make up skillset (and maybe name) together with the player, to balance it with other gods AND make it fitting to the players playstyle, so that god players are recognizably representing their players.

So my suggestion is, that instead of randomizing player gods, how about basing it off of their highest skills or actually sit together with devs to try to figure out good god or both?

This would open up so many possibilities and opportunities for players to integrate themselves in a way that makes it feel like it actually matters.

Just as a few examples: i have a friend who was very renown compass maker, now he is very good Blacksmith aswell, in general he is very focused on everything related to crafting and he is good at bringing his skills up. He is persistent and patient player and he crafts alot in alot of different skills.

So, based on his skills and his "behavior" I would assume that if someone would make a god of him he would be like a male vynora version, concentrating on knowledge and a thrive to craft, so his priests could be allowed to as example mine and woodcut, to gather resources for smithing, which would be his main focus, so spells would be based on creating enchantments and crafting related skills.

or another friend who has trouble staying in one place and has no real skill focus: he could be god of adventuring, his motto being restless wanderer, his skills could be based on slightly combat, then maybe lighttoken, finding corpse etc. restrictions could be, his followers can pave and maybe dig. Digging for "treasures" and paving to allow to make his own path through the world (more symbolical) 

or myself, I could see myself as a god strongly related to terraforming and ambition, because of the kind of projects I chose and mining and digging being my highest skills. So that's where my focus would be on and everyone who knows me could relate and understand how such a god would "fit".

I know this is a rather risky suggestion, considering the issues with currently rising player gods, but I do think it would be in interest of all players and devs alike, to be able to balance the player gods actively and give them some more personality and background to make their existance in the wurm world meaningful...

when I chose magranon as "my god" I chose him, because of what he represents, not because of his skills and abilities. I chose him, because I liked that he represented similar values to my own. 
And with alot of the old gods I was seeing players choosing them for what they represent and it usually was fitting with the set of skills they got from them. 
So in my opinion, this would be great for player gods, to make their existance have meaning, a purpose, strengthening them as part of this world.

sincerely 

Farelle

Edited by Miretta
  • Like 6

This. So much.

When the first player god emerged from the mortals, it was pretty cool. Finally someone reached that status! Now it's just like "oh... another one made it..."

No longer is there uniquness to the "old" gods that had a focus and a kingdom they belonged to.

While, at the same time, the new gods don't have any uniquness to them at all - it's just another name in the mission list.

Yay, lets all forget about Vynora and Fo and switch to that new player god, because he has all their enchants combined!
Is that really what the god and player god system in Wurm was supposed to be?

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Cayce said:

This. So much.

When the first player god emerged from the mortals, it was pretty cool. Finally someone reached that status! Now it's just like "oh... another one made it..."

No longer is there uniquness to the "old" gods that had a focus and a kingdom they belonged to.

While, at the same time, the new gods don't have any uniquness to them at all - it's just another name in the mission list.

Yay, lets all forget about Vynora and Fo and switch to that new player god, because he has all their enchants combined!

yeah :) currently it feels like just getting an assortment of spells and abilities, it doesn't feel like having a god. And the old gods images are suffering under it also, because it makes "religion" less like religion and about faith and stuff, but more about skills and numbers...you wouldn't need to ask about what skills a god has, if their skills/spells etc. would be matching with what they represent.

Edited by Miretta
  • Like 1

good luck trying to get anything balanced anymore

people are going to scream that they have invested in it and spent so long grinding it etc

then there's the fact that trying to balance so many gods so they work with eachother is going to be impossible

• Like 3

Personally I think (and I do think about this) player gods need rethinking.

Unique spells and abilities for each one is a lot of dev work, but on the other hand player gods are pretty broken.

I'd lean towards shifting player gods to "angel" or true "demigod" status; allow each follower of the parent god to choose one demigod who grants a small (3?) set of bonuses/spells (one aimed at followers, the rest aimed at priests) on top of the bonuses/spells of the parent god.  This removes broken player gods and also allows for some solid personalisation to take place without too much dev workload per player god.

It also, as a side effect, gives players an investment in PvP since they will want their god to be the one to get the new demigods....

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Worksock said:

good luck trying to get anything balanced anymore

people are going to scream that they have invested in it and spent so long grinding it etc

then there's the fact that trying to balance so many gods so they work with eachother is going to be impossible

it wouldn't be first time to get free transfers to other deities, not to mention that since it's already kind of broken, it might be worth considering a more drastic approach to be able to balance it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Miretta said:

it wouldn't be first time to get free transfers to other deities, not to mention that since it's already kind of broken, it might be worth considering a more drastic approach to be able to balance it.

Meditation rework has been asked for years, nothing has been ever done

There are only 5 paths and it still hasn't been balanced or anything still

We currently have 9-10 gods, which require a ton more work to balance due to passives, actions allowed, whole bunch of spells and the shitshow that is trying to make a god not absolutely inferior to another god

I have absolutely zero faith in the dev team being able to balance something like this

• Like 1

Just now, Worksock said:

Meditation rework has been asked for years, nothing has been ever done

There are only 5 paths and it still hasn't been balanced or anything still

We currently have 9-10 gods, which require a ton more work to balance due to passives, actions allowed, whole bunch of spells and the shitshow that is trying to make a god not absolutely inferior to another god

I have absolutely zero faith in the dev team being able to balance something like this

are you saying I should not have made a suggestion, because it's useless to ask anyway?:P

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Miretta said:

are you saying I should not have made a suggestion, because it's useless to ask anyway?:P

nah m8 nothing wrong with making a suggestion

it's just so depressing seeing them because they would be absolutely great/needed to have but the chances of them ever happening is so incredibly low

i'd love to see the gods balanced, but I have absolutely zero faith in that it'll happen anytime within the next few years, if ever

Edited by Worksock

7 minutes ago, Worksock said:

nah m8 nothing wrong with making a suggestion

it's just so depressing seeing them because they would be absolutely great/needed to have but the chances of them ever happening is so incredibly low

i'd love to see the gods balanced, but I have absolutely zero faith in that it'll happen anytime within the next few years, if ever

lack of faith :) that almost sounds like a pun related to topic :P

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Unique spells and abilities for each one is a lot of dev work, but on the other hand player gods are pretty broken.

Even renaming some of the existing spells when they get carried over to a new god would be a huge step in the right direction, in my opinion, and much less work than thinking of new spells.

That wouldn't address the fact that they are broken though.

Great post great suggestions! The more we surface the issue the sooner we might get an answer. This needs to be worked upon and cant be left unlooked by the devs, I want some kind of fix or new approach.

I do like the idea that etherdrifter suggested " I'd lean towards shifting player gods to "angel" or true "demigod" status "  .

Player gods seemed like a good idea at the time but it wasn't nearly thought out thoroughly enough before it got introduced into wurm online, such as that after the end of 2017 we will probably have 12-13 gods in total by this rate.

We all know that champion players is/was really broken but it was instead balanced by the fact that u could and would eventually lose the title (champion points), How about demigods being done in a similiar way?

When a demigod ascend under an original god like magranon, they get 3 new spells (over what magranon already posses) 1 extra enchant 1 offensive spell and maybe 1 more action for the priests (allowing cutting or something) this will only be applied to every priest following magranon in the SAME kingdom.

Then they get to die a maximum of 3 times from an enemy player after dying 3 times they lose their status forever and the followers go back to being magranon followers, this will give players on pvp servers a reason to strike when their rival kingdom have to many demigods under a certain god/gods making that godand its followers really powerful, thus giving ppl a reason to fight knowing that if they defeat the demigods they will lose their advantage.

sweat

Wurm pvpwise have always been breaking sweats and tears for something like a fort but knowing that nothing lasts foreve if it isnt defended, should be the same for gods, some thrill and fear is needed even among the strongest to feel engaged :P

P.S (I miss old wurm where ppl was almost as devoted to their 4 gods as their kingdom and their cause, like the old anthem, but old wurm isnt coming back so lets make this work.)

Edited by Nocturnes
  • Like 1

We are in the process of looking over this and will be addressing it, nothing is set in stone as of yet but it is in the works.

• Like 8

Good luck.    Knowing players I predict folks will look at the system for about an hour and come up with optimal path.  IE, follow god A until X skill, then god B until Y, then god C until Z.

Unless some significant penalty is put in place for changing religion like changing clothes then any fundamental differences will just be exploited (see Nahjo).

The idea of making semigods sounds reasonable and combines a lot of god possibilities. Shouldn´t be able to change it easily. Best make a bigger afford until you get the additional boni, etc. So it wont be constant changing....

The idea to make (then maybe semi-)godness endable would limitate the number of gods, give us a thrill and a goal (defend the god player / kill him). I like it therefor very much. Best is it wouldnt really harm Freedom (not doing pvp, not dying -> no change at all), while balancing Chaos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

We are in the process of looking over this and will be addressing it, nothing is set in stone as of yet but it is in the works.

You have no idea Retrograde how smoothing and nice those words was to read. Even though its not written in stone, this gives me hope to continue playing my favorite game through out 2017 :) Thank you (is it maybe to much to ask if the devs also look into libilas 20% dmg code not yet working properly) No but really thanks Retro :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

c4jt321.png

2 hours ago, Andruil said:

Best is it wouldnt really harm Freedom (not doing pvp, not dying -> no change at all), while balancing Chaos.

When a god disappears, what happens to priests?

9 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Their character is deleted and a trojan in the client is triggered that wipes their computers.  I think there was a poll some years back and that was the favored solution, Protunia even gave it a big red +1.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, zigozag said:

Lets asume that the suggestion of Etherdrifter using semi- or subgods is used. Then you keep your faith to your god, just loose the additional spells your angel/demigood gave you. You can look for anther subgod and start over again. Ok its a loose, but you can play on without brutal changes. It also gives you a reason, why you should be interested in the health / wealth / secure of your subgod (what every faithfull follower of a religion is...) and help him. Means that could be a gamemechanic to strength the community between subgod and follower.

Just 2 cents... there could be other solutions as well...

• Like 1

+1 to Etherdrifter's suggestion in general.  I never understood the bringing of full fledged Player Gods into the system, destroying the lore and balance.  In my readings of mythology and religion Gods don't welcome new Gods with open arms and give away their power's willy-nilly to anyone who comes along.  I have long thought similar to Ether's suggestion is that player gods should have been minor ancillary gods that received a couple of powers. A priest of one of the main gods could also choose to be a priest of one or two (at most) other gods to help fill out the powers available to him.  I would love to have humid drizzle or genesis available to my lib priest.

These minor gods would not participate in Valrei games (except as possible weaker helpers) to the main gods.  As it stands now it won't be long until their won't be any room left on the game board to place the players to start the game.

Even though I say above that I'd love some WL spells on my lib priest, I think that a hard look needs to be taken at the benefits and detriments to the game and game lore to determine if mixing is beneficial overall to the game or if this mixing of spells should be left to the domain of alt renegade priests living on enemy servers as it was in the beginning.  However, if you don't have mixing of spells, what is the point of player gods anyway?  Which is actually the question that needs to be answered.  If the point is just another achievement give them a title, special robes, make them pulsate with light and then send them back to the lands of wurm to live out their lives.

Grumpy

P.S. Yes, I'm old enough to use willy-nilly in a sentence.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, belthize said:

Their character is deleted and a trojan in the client is triggered that wipes their computers.  I think there was a poll some years back and that was the favored solution, Protunia even gave it a big red +1.

haha yes

ill say this for the 100th time, use what we've learned from player gods to balance the base gods.  like for the most part, eliminating the necessity to proxy up alts to get enchant access. the whole woodcutting/mining/digging thing is another story but eh.  i could go into a huge post about balancing base gods but also eh.

then remove player god religion.  let ascending be just going for your 5 minutes of fame on the valrei board until some way to get removed from the board.  or remove from the board too upon full god and figure out some other bonus

• Like 3

On 03/12/2016 at 7:04 AM, Cayce said:

This. So much.

My friend reached around 60 in faith following vynora and we recently went to Paaweelr because of this :). rather than coc and woa we have BoTD, all the other good vynora enchants, all the good Fo enchants, and Scorn of libila to abuse participation points by healing people in groups for easy shoulderpads... i use utilize, not abuse... The only original priest i feel is kinda okay to have right now is my current Fo one to take care of animals.