Sign in to follow this  
Grath

Starting up a Wurm Server please help

I'm relatively new to running any type of server, I'm looking to really get my moneys worth with purchasing a monthly plan on a reliable server/host. I was wondering if anyone in the community would have any idormation on which servers they use, the pros and cons of such servers please.

I've looked through multiple Google searches on servers and all of them boast mostly the same offerings. I don't want to buy a server and then come to find out their customer service is junk, or their hosting is less than suitable.

I'm looking to have 100 available slots on the server, a big map, no TeamSpeak (since discord is available.) a smooth running server, that I can upgrade if needed.

Thank you so much for any input on this subject.

Grath.

Don't use citadel there service blows. I would recommend a dedicated server if you want reliability and performance, most gsp's oversell and are on vps's (virtual private servers). But as you stated you are new to these type of things, so if you have an old computer laying around i recommend you play with that as a hombrew server to figure things out, and to train yourself on.

As far as an all in one server with a control panel for ease of use I have no suggestions on that as i have never purchased one for WU.

Edited by ausimus

Thanks for the feedback, I've heard some about citadel, enough to warrant that I do not want to use them.

I do have a laptop that might be a viable option, ill look into what I could use to turn it into a server, Thanks!

Grath.

Been with citadel for a while, had no issues. Guess it's who you ask, and how you rub them...

With that said, the best support and control comes from running your own, on a vps if you want to buy the confidence of players. Maybe harder, but you get to learn on the journey. 

DigitalOcean is a good bet for VPS. (I am running some Sir! servers that way etc)

Good luck on this endeavour.