Sign in to follow this  
Nyalee

Cooking update - Skill gain for new players??

Not usually one to moan but, as a returning player starting from scratch after a long break,  I'm becoming incredibly frustrated by the excruciatingly slow skill gain for  new HFC  system at low levels - It's almost impossible to progress to a stage where I am actually able to feed my toon anything other than  pumpkin (which is currently the only thing that fills my food bar, with an acceptable ratio of effort/resource, but obviously gives little/no skillgain), never mind improve my skills in HFC (which I would clearly love to do)

Have spent the past week since returning ( due to personal circumstances have lots of free time at the moment = 8 hrs+ per day) happilly levelling all other core skills e.g. mining (15), digging (22), foraging,  botanizing, carpentry etc. all  at an acceptable rate, but seem to be failling entirely to  make any impact on HFC (currently  2.69!) despite having slaved over a hot stove for what seems like hours, with various combinations of meats and veggies in the available cooking containers..... Hundreds of  "Breakfasts"  made and consumed (each giving less than  1% food (less than raw pumpkin, so little point,really), meaning I'd have to consume 50+ at one sitting to maintain  my food bar, at  least half way - all you high level players would not even feed these to your dogs! -  all with virtually no skill gain.

If my memory still serves me ,  I dont remember cooking skillgain being so slow at low levels before?. Or, am I missing something? It's not clear from other posts on the forums if there is currently a bug, does anyone have any clue?. Also, lord help me when the 99% nutrition bug is fixed!

In comparison to  potential skillgain for the other skills at low levels,  all I see is that HFC seems to be painfully slow with similar time/resource committed. It looks like I will have to spend the next month eating  hundreds of pumpkins and doing nothing but foraging and cooking, just to get to a level where I am able to adequately feed myself!(never mind take advantage of  CCFP)

Or perhaps the Dev's are actively trying to encourage new players to quit? (particularly those who are unable to commit the hours neccessary, as I am currently able to)  - not  the best introduction to an otherwise fantastic game to find you must grind cooking  to the exclusion of almost all else if you wish to advance at all. Some balance is needed as HFC as  learning to feed yourself at low levels is clearly important

I wont quit as, as  other than the pain that is currently HFC, Im having a blast...  Im happy to put the time/effort in and am not expecting insta levelling, but It would simply be nice to see  HFC skills levelling at a siilar rate as other  core skills, at low levels.

:blink:

• Like 2

HFC skill gain is currently slightly broken, the ticks are insignificant to be honest. Not sure when it'll be fixed but your not alone, pretty sure the DEVs are aware of it.

From the news item:

"The reduction in skillgain from HFC is also being looked at, and as soon as the issue is isolated it will be fixed. "

• Like 1

Thank you both - good to know I wasnt mistakaen and this is being looked at.

I would do some meals to get your nut fill and food bar. Since the hfc gains are out of whack the skill requires versus the low ql of them won't matter. That way you got a full food bar and some better nut. ANd can still cook away at the new stuff.