Sign in to follow this  
Alendhor

[Fixed] Active Beehive Empty After Transport

you might need at least 0.10kg of honey / sugar to make the trip safely on long distance. the cook book indicate bees eat 10g of sugar once in a while but i'm thiking while reading that thread it might be 100g (0.10kg instead).

[13:15:55] <xxx> wow they eat sugar fast in the cart

That's the observation from a pal imping his active hives in cart. And that might be the cause of the dissapearing hives.

I moved them with wagons and carts and knarr, no problems, have not been using sugar yet, just been leaving the honey in the hive for the trip.

Maybe a good idea to load them up with sugar to be on the safe side, or just might of been a random die off, anyone knows if that is a thing?

I had mine loaded in a large cart, as well. They didn't appear to eat any of the honey in the hive, however.

Edited by Alendhor
Add additional comment.

This happened to me.

The wild hive was on the side of a steep hill and I had to climb out over to it and place the hive in the first place. Then when the hive became active I had to push the whole thing back a long was, just to get home amd unload and lose the queen all together.

Seriously a lot of work for once hive just to get this. Not happy, Jan,

On 04/12/2016 at 5:18 AM, Alectrys said:

Does anyone else recall if their active hive was the result of a second queen or a migrated hive?

I transported 2 domestic hives last night to my deed (after adding sugar to both).  Both survived the trip.  The were both from second queens as the wild hives are still on the trees.

My hive was 2nd queen. Unloaded and poof

Although this is not happening to everyone or all the time, I've added it to the bug list.  I've not lost any of mine during transport, but I always add 5 sugars to the hive and I don't travel very far.  5 hives have been transported successfully - no trip was more than 15 minutes long and all 5 hives had 5 sugar added.

33 minutes ago, Alectrys said:

Although this is not happening to everyone or all the time, I've added it to the bug list.  I've not lost any of mine during transport, but I always add 5 sugars to the hive and I don't travel very far.  5 hives have been transported successfully - no trip was more than 15 minutes long and all 5 hives had 5 sugar added.

Will test tonight with added sugar and short trip and no peaking during travel in a wagon.

I transported a hive today.

Large Cart

A migrated 1st queen.

5 sugar in hive.

Hive was 61 ql unlocked.

For the sake of science I peeked while transporting.

Trip was short less then 10 minutes.

Hive transported with out loss of queen.

My bees are gone. 

A migrated 2nd queen.
Nothing in hive. (If there needs to be sugar/honey inside to transport it, I didn't see that anywhere when reading about bees).
Hive was 38ql. Wild hive that gave the queen was 53ql.

I had active smoker and loaded the hive. I don't think I moved my wagon, but I'm not sure. I stood there for a while imping another hive to try to get the last queen out of that wild hive.

I can't be sure if I moved the wagon or not, but when I checked the wagon it said empty. I unloaded it to see if anything changed, but it was still empty.

The hive is made of pinewood.
[22:46:50] You start to load the active bee hive.
[22:46:54] You finish loading the active bee hive.

When I review the event window it looks like I hadn't mounted the wagon again after loading until later, after I noticed it was empty.

Yekrut in game

If there is no honey or sugar in a hive loaded into a vehicle your bee's have a very good chance to die off, and if left for an extended period of time you better have it loaded with sugar

I have successfully migrated 3 domestic hives from the wild. All were transported in a wagon, opened and looked inside on the way. 2 I put sugar in. The last one I forgot to bring sugar... it had .01 kg of honey when I first loaded it. When I got to deed it said there was honey in the hive but read as 0.0 kg. Bees still survived. Traveled a short distance, less than 10 minutes each time.