Sign in to follow this  
Tristanc

Rock Paper Shotgun's article on update 1.3

I got as far as " There ar e500 recipes"  and " Lastly there are Jacak runes" and stopped reading based on how clearly professional this is

• Like 6

I had some nasty remarks to say as well but I took a moment to actually read this to see his PoV. I think the article is fair and it actually he brings up solid evidence how terrible the game interface is to a casual player, not using keybinds. To us veteran players it's fairly trivial once you understand the system. Keybinding really makes the game fun, without them I'd of probably left years ago myself.

It sounds like he is complaining because of the interface which is actually pretty bad! The drop down menus and UI are a leading cause that makes people leave Wurm Online. I know players that play, WU or even some new WO players click the "action bar" for things, that is also fairly bad and I see it all the time when watching people play this game. Clicking buttons to do things on your interface is generally bad in any game, this system is dated and really needs a overhaul or changes.

I think people want to play Wurm like Minecraft or Rust, where you can mousewheel scroll a tool to activate it and proceed to left click or right click to victory. I personally think that would fix so many interface issues new players deal with. If you can do that and keep the old system for players that prefer it, this game could easily become a lot better.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 4

Those guys didn't do much if any research on that article I feel like, they didn't even mention long time owner and founder Rolf stepped down and passed the reins on recently or in any past article I can find on Wurm there.

Edited by Darklords

The new update is a turnoff for new players, but good for old established and experienced ones. Could have been both.

A new UI wont bring on some sort of revival, because it doesn't address Wurms core cultural problems.

Wurm is Wurm. You love it and stay or you hate it and stay. Sometimes you love to hate it. Other times you hate to love it. Sometimes you praise it. Sometimes you curse it. You usually do both while grinding out some skill. 

Generally, you play it or you don't. You come, stay, and play for years or you come, play and leave in hours. It doesn't offer much of a middle ground from my experience and I am quite okay with that. Sure, it might take years for a casual to hit "level cap" on a single "level" instead of burning through the only new content you get this year in 2 days but if you want two day end-game, there are other games for that. 

Me? I love to hate Wurm. That's what I am here. I'll beat this damn thing one day! *shakes fist*

• Like 2

Such award-whining writing; a real masterpiece of editorial excretion.  I bet the Peabody is in the mail.

The name of Wurm has been unduly impugned by...what appears to be a 14 year old inner city kid that is unaware of spell check and who is too lazy to play a game that takes a little work and did not bother to try.  Yes, i see him moving to such heights as Dan Rather's current position.

• Like 1

Given that UI rework is being planned for the near future, in hindsight I'm not surprised that the cooking update got basically no attention in that department, as it's all going to be looked at soon regardless. At least, I should hope that's the reason.

Reading the article, it seems fairly poorly-researched. We need to sleep to survive in Wurm? Since when? He also doesn't seem to be aware that keybinds or the select bar exist, and refers multiple times to their other recent Wurm-related article, using it to further the narrative that Wurm is dying based on the impression of the most dead part of it, Epic.

It's kind of sad when all their recent coverage is pretty much exclusively based on misinformation. I'll give him that Wurm Online is a massive timesink and that the UI needs work, but this is just awful.

Its sad that it has become a ghost town not many people play this anymore. when i first started i couldnt even place a deed anywhere lol, now....

Edited by paulski

On 11/30/2016 at 2:51 PM, Retrograde said:

This would be why the UI is the next major focus

Excellent, Smithers...

Game is not dead. Do not worry.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:30 PM, Niki said:

I had some nasty remarks to say as well but I took a moment to actually read this to see his PoV. I think the article is fair and it actually he brings up solid evidence how terrible the game interface is to a casual player, not using keybinds. To us veteran players it's fairly trivial once you understand the system. Keybinding really makes the game fun, without them I'd of probably left years ago myself.

It sounds like he is complaining because of the interface which is actually pretty bad! The drop down menus and UI are a leading cause that makes people leave Wurm Online. I know players that play, WU or even some new WO players click the "action bar" for things, that is also fairly bad and I see it all the time when watching people play this game. Clicking buttons to do things on your interface is generally bad in any game, this system is dated and really needs a overhaul or changes.

I think people want to play Wurm like Minecraft or Rust, where you can mousewheel scroll a tool to activate it and proceed to left click or right click to victory. I personally think that would fix so many interface issues new players deal with. If you can do that and keep the old system for players that prefer it, this game could easily become a lot better.

In my tutorials I address that you can use keybinds but I also show how to do actions via the interface. I do it this way because there are some players that do not understand keybindings.

• Like 1

Terrible article. Not professional at all. Perhaps I expected too much.

Wurm is an aquired taste, perhaps, and not everyone is up for this type of play, but it doesn't deserve this. Of course, I am a fan so I am biased, but I am a fan because I like the game. And yes, an interface update will do us well. If it's anything like the last patch, it will be great.

"smelt the metal into screws " - wow, new crops, furniture, runes, recipes, herbs, trees, beekeeping and now SCREWS too!  That you "smelt" from metal!

Yeah, well done article.  

It is true that alot of the time spent in Wurm is not fun.  I imped my chainmail set for over an hour today and didn't enjoy a single minute of it.   The basic grindy operations need to become more gamey so that doing them is entertaining in themselves.  It needn't be much either; people play a simple card game like blackjack for hours on end.  Some  elements of choice, risk/reward, and strategy incorporated into crafting in even a small way would make a huge difference.

Edited by Gaffer
Fix funky highlit text
  • Like 2

As goofy as it was, i liked smithing on games like fable 3. You had ths

At little meter and had to catch it at the proper time for success.

Minigames can be a lot of fun.

Maybe an option where you can play/ skip minigames whilst crafting, grabting the choice between pressing 1234imp/rep keybinds and some other function.

Being said, i do alright with our current system. Lets me binge watch my serieses's.

Vikings and game if thrones are so good, paired with wurm.

" a game where walking up a hill tires your character out so you need to take rests, and in which you need to sleep"

he just speculated a bunch of shite, writing up whatever sounded most logical to him. .

Apparently you can review a game after playing 10 minutes, wow!!

Edited by Firecat
  • Like 2

Thats the thing lately. First looks. Were gon play disgaem fer 10to20minutes and see what its all about.

Ive seej games get blasted and all they saw was level 1. No progression no nothing .

I saw mortal online get a good rating from some of those dumb ######s.

Dont place a lot of faith in their reviews, sadly, the idiots we populate the world with, do.

So we jeed to come up with a way to both improve the initial reactions, and not send reveiwers to epic wtf, slap whoever suggested they go there.

Edited by Makarus
not ######ing with spellcheck. am aware that the above is moderately painful
  • Like 1

On 30/11/2016 at 9:45 PM, MrGARY said:

I got as far as " There ar e500 recipes"  and " Lastly there are Jacak runes" and stopped reading based on how clearly professional this is

get this.. from Brenden's blog. (the reviewer)

` I have a BA in Journalism, which is useful for writing words and a MA in English Literature, which is useful for reading them `

Good god anyone can get a Masters thesedays can't they, funding is all it takes. 
  `a MA` .. skipped the n. and didn't proofread his own article and if he did, why the hell has he masters in literature if he misses these mistakes. 
not impressed, at all.

you may notice i edit my posts alot. aside from the difference between `post` and `publish`.. it's because i care to be understood by the entire audience i am attending to. That takes work. 
Brenden clearly doesn't give a toss, about his work so i wouldn't rate his opinion on ours.
(course it's not work because we love it, yay)

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steveleeb said:

get this.. from Brenden's blog. (the reviewer)

` I have a BA in Journalism, which is useful for writing words and a MA in English Literature, which is useful for reading them `

Good god anyone can get a Masters thesedays can't they, funding is all it takes. 

you may notice i edit my posts alot. aside from the difference between `post` and `publish`.. it's because i care to be understood by the entire audience i am attending to. That takes work. 
Brenden clearly doesn't give a toss, about his work so i wouldn't rate his opinion on ours.
(course it's not work because we love it, yay)

Suffice to say, i replied to the article.

Thanks for the reply, he deserves some scathing reviews. holy ######, batman.

I've got my own love/hate thing going with Wurm, but it is mine, and mine alone.

(also, whomever I share with. it's a socially transmitted dissuasion.)

Anyways, I would like to see a review done primarily on Freedom, maybe a collaboration between Milo and someone else. Video and Journalism, together at last.

Finally: " sorry for being offensive, but i am rather offended. "

+1

• Like 1

That is a pretty sad article - Wurm has some issues (and what game doesn't), but that 'review' was basically someone making stuff up.  Almost makes me want to go write a proper review somewhere.

I feel offended by this article... o.o
So many spelling errors... although I'm not sure "Jacak" is even one of those lol That's pretty sad.

If he writes about something, he should have taken a real look at the game as it is now. He writes he played it in 2010, but it's hardly the same game anymore. A lot has been changed since then and he doesn't even mention that.

It also does not feel very informative, should have included a good example on what can be done with the cooking system now, like a recipe maybe? More like a repost of some small parts of the Wurm news now... "oh, look, I found news on this game I played 6 years ago. Won't return though because it was aweful back then!" yeah, sure. Nice review. -.-

Almost feel tempted to log in on that site just to comment...

The article about epic was a lot better, even though it did not mention the population on the pve-side either.

Still looking forward to some interface changes though ;P

Edited by Cayce
  • Like 1

On it’s last legs? ...

... in it’s own way

but dude. proofread

Ahem,

I don't need to be perfect. I don't have a Ba in anything and was never taught about nouns, pronouns, adjectives or verbs.
I edited it twice then ran out of time. (the page has a countdown on edits)
so i added a couple of apostrophes that didn't belong. 
Punctuation isn't something he slipped up on so im hardly a hypocrite.
there was no time, to proofread. He, had hours to get it done, typed up, presented and published. 
still, you'll be happy to know i did kick myself when i realised what you mean.

I'd just like to note that Graham Smith wrote this article about the 1.3 update, not Brendan Caldwell (who'd written the Ridealong: The Last King Of Wurm Online article.)

My suggestion would be to offer gaming sites writers opportunities for a guided tour of those areas of Wurm Online that are still active and specifically demonstrating the new functions and mechanics offered in new patches rather than expecting them to pop in with a new char for the very limited time most gaming websites (and print media) give their writers a chance to experience a game (or featured patch) before writing about it.

Perhaps someone could actually offer help and demonstrate what's new.  After all, as far as I know there are no entries in the official wiki about the new cooking tools, recipes, etc, so other than expecting a writer to enjoy a grinding 'exploration and discovery' over a long period of time, the actual in-game implementation of the new features could be demonstrated to a writer along with the results.  No using special GM tools, but actual premium game characters in Wurm Online using the new features.

Let authors of articles have guides so their articles will be based upon the newest info and illustrate the positives of Wurm Online to any readers.

I'm one that still remembers the very positive influence the writers from PC Gamer magazine had describing their PC Gamer Village gameplay in articles back, and a few of them are connected with Rock Paper Shotgun, too, nowadays.  PC Gamer Village's site still exists on Independance, now, established after their move to the Freedom Isles from Golden Valley.  The GV site's likely decayed to nothing but empty roads now, but the impressions they left me are part of the reason I first started a character on Wurm Online.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 3