Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #47 1.3 Follow up!

header.png

Foggy sun, by wilczan

Hi everyone!

A huge week this week with the release of 1.3! I've taken a break from the oven (okay, okay, maybe I was outside hunting bees) to fill you in on all the post 1.3 news, so here we go!

Recipes sharing
As some of you may have noticed, I spoke about the cataloguing of recipes on the forum or ingame recently. For the moment, we'd like to avoid having any openly public collection of recipes being shared. The reason for this is that many do wish to spend time exploring this system for their own, and we'd like to give them the opportunity to do so.

If you wish to use sites such as Reddit to collect and discuss you are more than welcome to do so, but please do avoid sharing it in public chats and the forum until it comes to Wurm Unlimited.

To clarify, if someone asks how to make a certain meal, giving info on that is fine, but collections and spreadsheets of recipes are best to keep it to PM.

Public sharing of lists or collections of recipes can and will result in moderation actions being taken, so please be sensible and considerate. Once it comes to Wurm Unlimited we will allow the postings as long as spoiler tags are used.

Shield training
The shield training change came along with this update, and we've had mixed reports over how it has gone. In order to give the best feedback, please include some important things:
Combat log - This tells us how often you parry with your shield as well as what you fight
Skill log - This allows us to see the tick rate, and tick size, as well as the skill levels of the shield skills you're training.
Shield quality - This helps us see what equipment you're using and if you're doing it right.
Stance - This tells us how effective each stance is at skill gain.

Of course there will be adjustment with how you skill with this system, fighting weaker mobs will not give as much skill, but stronger mobs will, aggressive stance does not block so often, so you will receive less opportunities to gain skill so keep that in mind!

Wurm Unlimited
I know for a fact that our Wurm Unlimited cousins are champing at the bit for this update.

With this in mind, we'll be working on a beta release within the next few weeks, with the info about how it works for server admins to create and populate their recipe list. Wurm Unlimited is currently on sale so if you're keen on getting in early, grab a copy! We'll be giving away some copies of Wurm Unlimited to celebrate this update when it launches too, so make sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

Steam Awards

Steam also has their award season on this week, and we all know what Wurm qualifies for! The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award is definitely our pick!

With that all done, we want to hear your feedback on everything! what's your favourite part of 1.3, and what can't you wait to get your hands on? Let us know!

Community Content

This weeks Community Content is from us! The map dumps taken on the 1st of November have proven extremely popular, and I know I've spent hours pouring over them, wondering what each little dip looks like ingame. We'll be working on an automated delayed system and a pan and scan version up soon!

Check them out here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6J_aGQ6URL8UURFN2VadWxtSWs

That's all for this week folks, we'll continue to monitor all changes and take feedback on how they feel to you, this includes both good and bad! If you feel that something does not work as effectively, or that something is perhaps TOO effective, please do raise it, including as much information as you can. The reasons for this is to ensure that any changes we need to make can be done early on, and allow us to avoid hassle in the future.

Until then though, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 12

Shields seem to take a ton of damage now that we can skill with them faster, any chance that could be lowered? It's probably due to the increased skill gain/and more registered ticks, repairing quite a lot, nearly lost a supreme shield due to not repairing after every troll encounter. 

Using a 70ql Supreme Large Shield, Oak.

Thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niki said:

Shields seem to take a ton of damage now that we can skill with them faster, any chance that could be lowered? It's probably due to the increased skill gain/and more registered ticks, repairing quite a lot, nearly lost a supreme shield due to not repairing after every troll encounter. 

Thanks.

That is the very basis of shield training. If you use a troll for shield training, you will get one of the highest skill gains because of the high amount of dmg it deals compared to other mobs. I am assuming they increased the dmg it took in general -> hence higher skill gain.

So, probably they took this approach rather than changing anything in the code. I kinda like it, there is no issues due to this change, just a bit more repairing to do.

Edited by Hashirama
  • Like 1

Oh! It's Friday already. The update threw off my internal Wurm clock.

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

With that all done, we want to hear your feedback on everything! what's your favourite part of 1.3

One thing I was concerned about was being stung by those bees while wandering the forests picking sprouts. No worries though because they won't sting unless their hives are messed with or the tree they are on is chopped down. The Smoker is not hard to construct and prevents stings even then. Once it is lit in inventory no further action is required. As a result I was surprised to find that I like this beekeeping thing. Still waiting for them to migrate to a hive I built next to a wild hive. Moving time unknown.

I like all the new vegetables added too with their new appearances. Just planting all the varieties that I found to see what visual effect I like best. Not much interested in cooking with them as of yet. Also want to plant some of new trees to find out how they will look around the deed too. Very cool stuff!

=Ayes=

I love the bees too... but I've noticed people can loot the wild hives even on deed.  I was hoping that this is a bug and will be fixed soon.

The honey needs to build up over time to make a 2nd queen bee to migrate.

Edited by DoctorAngus
  • Like 2

+1 no sharing

Epic will still need a stamina fix;
Shield training isn't what it was promised to be; a faster more intereactive way of training

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mclovin said:

Epic will still need a stamina fix;
Shield training isn't what it was promised to be; a faster more intereactive way of training

The stamina thing has been passed to the devs, there's some ideas, we'll continue to discuss it though and I'll let everyone know whats happening.

The shield training thing requires feedback on what gives what when, obviously you block less than you attack in most cases, so less opportunity to defend.

• Like 2

It just doesn't feel less grindy than before, it feels almost worse and alot more required in regaurds gain and effort;

It needs to be feedbacked more than what I type here I understand, but I was throwing out a general opinion of it to sum up how I feel. 
I am going to be training my small shield for the next 10 hours later so i'll have juicy logs/data to share against various creatures

Edited by Mclovin

2 hours ago, DoctorAngus said:

I love the bees too... but I've noticed people can loot the wild hives even on deed.  I was hoping that this is a bug and will be fixed soon.

If you mean that players are able to remove the honey and wax from wild bee hives on deed, yea good point, they should not be able to "pickup" these items from even wild hives on deeds.

Someone too might be able to place a crafted bee hive on a deed perimeter of high quality and have the wild bees on deed migrate over to it. Maybe if you even have a crafted bee hive on deed close to the perimeter someone could put a crafted one there of higher quality and have your bees migrate into it. Bee thieves! And wild hive looters! The new Wurm opportunist thieves, heh.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
added stuff
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Ayes said:

Still waiting for them to migrate to a hive I built next to a wild hive. Moving time unknown.

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

Bee thieves! And wild hive looters! The new Wurm opportunist thieves, heh.

This and that. I wish the mechanism for the bees moving are explained before all the wild hives die off in winter (or are looted and unable to make new queens)... Specially seeing we are already in summer and they are said to start disappearing in autumn.

I'm fine with discovering mechanisms... ramming down our throat months of delay by withholding information is nowhere from cool though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Niki said:

Thanks.

This, my steel shield went from 65ql to 49 ql with just a few fights.   At that rate I'll need to take extra shields to Rifts as I'll have to be switching them out. 

• Like 1

I also *feel* shields take much more damage now - and although I parry a lot with shields there is almost no skillgain ticks even against trolls. I'll set up a test session later if I find the time (too much to do now :) )

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Wurm Unlimited
I know for a fact that our Wurm Unlimited cousins are champing at the bit for this update.

With this in mind, we'll be working on a beta release within the next few weeks, with the info about how it works for server admins to create and populate their recipe list. Wurm Unlimited is currently on sale so if you're keen on getting in early, grab a copy! We'll be giving away some copies of Wurm Unlimited to celebrate this update when it launches too, so make sure to follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

How about holding off on that.   As soon you release it to WU the script kiddies will look up all the recipes and ruin the fun for all of us who like to play games to learn stuff.   They've already ruined a good chunk of Wurm already.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

How about holding off on that.   As soon you release it to WU the script kiddies will look up all the recipes and ruin the fun for all of us who like to play games to learn stuff.   They've already ruined a good chunk of Wurm already.

Yeah, figuring out how stuff works sure did ruin it for everybody!

As probably one of the people Greyfox is calling silly names, I would actually agree with him, but I'm pretty sure Wurm Unlimited won't have the same recipe list as Wurm Online, so it shouldn't really be an issue.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The stamina thing has been passed to the devs, there's some ideas, we'll continue to discuss it though and I'll let everyone know whats happening.

Thanks bruh

25 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Yeah, figuring out how stuff works sure did ruin it for everybody!

As probably one of the people Greyfox is calling silly names, I would actually agree with him, but I'm pretty sure Wurm Unlimited won't have the same recipe list as Wurm Online, so it shouldn't really be an issue.

Pretty sure people were able to figure out how to play Wurm before being afforded the ability to read the code ;)

Mind you, I think reading the code sounds like a really fun and interesting thing to do!

Question, how many people who like to dive under hood do you think read and understood that part about using Spoiler Tags?

This is probably the most helpful and conscientious community I've have ever found in any game over decades of gaming.  I'm pretty sure we can find a way to help each other enjoy the game as we each prefer to.

• Don't tell people the results of a football game unless they ask.
  • Don't tell people how the movie ends if they haven't seen it.
  • Don't tell people who won the election if they're still in blissful ignorance.
  •  
  • AND... don't put the recipes up in front of someone's face when they'd rather have fun experimenting.
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

script kiddies

script kiddie
noun
informalderogatory
noun: script kiddie; plural noun: script kiddies; noun: script kiddy
  1. a person who uses existing computer scripts or codes to hack into computers, lacking the expertise to write their own.

very confused right now, who's hacking into what using wurm code?

34 minutes ago, Stanlee said:

script kiddie
noun
informalderogatory
noun: script kiddie; plural noun: script kiddies; noun: script kiddy
  1. a person who uses existing computer scripts or codes to hack into computers, lacking the expertise to write their own.

very confused right now, who's hacking into what using wurm code?

Greyfox is mad at people trying to help the community by figuring out what does what.

This is exactly the same as using boilerplate scripts to DoS someone's Minecraft server.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Greyfox is mad at people trying to help the community by figuring out what does what.

Could be.  Though again, I think it's more people who just don't, or can't, respect other people's desire to enjoy the exploration and discovery inherent in the process.

Totally cool if you're not into that.  By all means, read the code, or better yet, get the cliff notes.  Have fun.

Should be totally cool if I'm not into that though too, right?  Just as real life, I enjoy tossing things in a pan to see what happens.  That's part of the fun for me, a lot of fun.

Is it a problem for you not shoving information in front of people who never asked you and, in fact, asked you the exact opposite?

It really just comes down to that.  Nobody cares what you do if you're having fun.  We just ask you let us have fun too.

Does that make sense?

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

• Don't tell people the results of a football game unless they ask.
  • Don't tell people how the movie ends if they haven't seen it.
  • Don't tell people who won the election if they're still in blissful ignorance.
  •  
  • AND... don't put the recipes up in front of someone's face when they'd rather have fun experimenting.

If i'm talking about foot ball and you havent' seen the game, then goto a different channel

They all died at the Alamo, the Titanic sunk and the Matrix was a computer generated reality.  Get over it.

If you don't know who won the electing it's not bliss, it's just ignorance.

and finally, if you don't want to read a section that says 'Spoiler' recipes, then don't be a tard and read it anyways.

Edited by Stormblade
  • Like 10

Yeah...I have never had a problem with "spoilers" in Wurm - the vast majority of "help" comes only when you ask for it...

"Public sharing of lists or collections of recipes can and will result in moderation actions being taken, so please be sensible and considerate. Once it comes to Wurm Unlimited we will allow the postings as long as spoiler tags are used."

This seems stupidly harsh and I don't appreciate it.  #wurmisnotmydaddy

-.-

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Mandi said:

"Public sharing of lists or collections of recipes can and will result in moderation actions being taken, so please be sensible and considerate. Once it comes to Wurm Unlimited we will allow the postings as long as spoiler tags are used."

This seems stupidly harsh and I don't appreciate it.

-.-

That pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter.

Fun new hint : Do not use PoL refresh on your priests.  I won't relase the reason why for now but I am certain that anyone with basic numeracy can figure it out.

Edit : Inserted the PoL for clarity

Edited by Etherdrifter

2 hours ago, Stormblade said:

If i'm talking about foot ball and you havent' seen the game, then goto a different channel

They all died at the Alamo, the Titanic sunk and the Matrix was a computer generated reality.  Get over it.

If you don't know who won the electing it's not bliss, it's just ignorance.

and finally, if you don't want to read a section that says 'Spoiler' recipes, then don't be a tard and read it anyways.

Obviously if spoiler tags are used, then I just thank you for being considerate and using them.  I will also have you know that I have always been more akin to pudding than custard, so, you know, there's that.

If you don't understand the concept of blissful ignorance, congratulations!  You're a living example.

If you are on a public channel and cannot control yourself enough to not spoil parts of the game for others, seek immediate medical attention.  Is it really that difficult? 

Why not create an IRC "Cooking Channel?"

1 hour ago, Mandi said:

Yeah...I have never had a problem with "spoilers" in Wurm - the vast majority of "help" comes only when you ask for it...

This seems stupidly harsh and I don't appreciate it.  #wurmisnotmydaddy

-.-

Look at the quote below.  Help comes when you ask for it is exactly what they are asking for.

It's wonderful that you are able to do that without needing any kind of moderation.  We need more people like you!  Unfortunately, there are also people like @Stormbladeup there who apparently will not be able to handle this without moderation.  It's unfortunate, we all worry for the lad.

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

To clarify, if someone asks how to make a certain meal, giving info on that is fine, but collections and spreadsheets of recipes are best to keep it to PM.

• Like 2

<shrug> Nothing to see here.

Edited by Stormblade
Just not worth it.