Sign in to follow this  
Bigsmith

Bees

30 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

queen will move from one domestic hive to another of higher ql

Is there any chance that those hives that are turning out empty on arrival, after transport by cart or wagon, had actually migrated (ie, highjacked by accident or purpose)  to some empty player hive that they passed along the route? Or would text event messages say if that was the  issue and say that the queen was migrating? 

good point, be bad timing to go past a high ql empty hive and the server tic at that very moment decided that the bee's you were waiting days to migrate to your hive move out ;)

Hives don't HAVE to be on deeds, especially on freedom servers. Plant and slap a padlock on, call it good.

Granted pvp servers are a whole nother matter.

34 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Is there any chance that those hives that are turning out empty on arrival, after transport by cart or wagon, had actually migrated (ie, highjacked by accident or purpose)  to some empty player hive that they passed along the route? Or would text event messages say if that was the  issue and say that the queen was migrating? 

At least in my case not possible. My bees disappeared at the last few tiles of the way. They were still there when I loaded the hive into wagon. That last stretch took less than 2 minutes inside my own deed. And I have only 2 neighbors, not close and they don't have any hives. (And just in case, not even possible to have migrated anywhere along the way and game just not telling me that before unloading last time. Because whole trip was wilderness, not anywhere close to any deeds or hives at any point of trip.)

46 minutes ago, Klaa said:

Hives don't HAVE to be on deeds, especially on freedom servers. Plant and slap a padlock on, call it good.

Granted pvp servers are a whole nother matter.

Keeping your hives off deed opens them up to theft of the queen, I don't think it is such a good idea.

Maybe doable if you imp them to 99ql, but still opens them to theft. 8)

• Like 1

I thought when they were talking about Queen migration it was only the second Queen that would migrate not the original Queen in the domestic hive.

Ah but if the queen moves on her own is it really theft? :D

Planting your hive off deed is not sufficient for security, make sure to attach a pad lock as well, or you may find your hive bashed away.

Somebody in this thread suggested that tree spreading should be reigned in and I am very much in favor of that. Way before the bees happened, I tried to cover my deed in blue flowers. This went pretty well, until some update/bug occured that made trees explode all over the place, and I just couldn't keep up with finding enough blue flowers to replant them.

Would it be possible to at least stop tree spreading on deeds? Being able to cultivate flowers would also be a nice option; have them grow in pots and harvest the seeds would be fine as well.

Apart from this: this cooking update rocks, as far as I am concerned. The whole overhaul is very clever; suddenly I need to care about all sorts of skills that never interested me before. So well done devs: you poked my brain in all the right places, very cunning.

On 12/6/2016 at 2:14 PM, Pandalet said:

Some specific detail on hives in the spoiler.

Hide contents

Regarding the area a beehive will look at, it depends on the QL of the hive. 

A rough guide:

1ql - 2 tile radius

10ql - 4 tile radius

25ql - 6 tile radius

50ql - 8 tile radius

75ql - 10 tile radius

90ql - 10 tile radius

95ql - 11 tile radius

Obviously, the larger the area that a hive can gather from, the more honey and wax it will produce.  A hive will max out at 20 wax - no more is produced until the hive holds less than 20.  Wax production depends on there being enough 'good' tiles in the hives area, and isn't regular - it will come at somewhat random intervals.

The best tiles for honey production are grass with flowers.  Crops between growing and (second) ripe will also produce some honey, as will plain grass and steppe during summer and spring.  Trees are best at very old, and quite variable with season - spring is best, followed by summer.

Hive areas can overlap, but a given tile only contributes to 1 hive.  This is similar to how alter domains work, in that tiles closer to hive A than hive B are more likely to belong to hive A, and higher ql hives will tend to win out over lower ql ones.  See numbers above for the 'influence' areas of different ql hives.

To illustrate the overlap, I knocked up this graphic:

68f1a7661554325ad8abd214b1fd1a40.png

The document will be updated to include this info in due course.

I have question, not sure if someone already mentioned it. What about buildings, roads and fences within bee hive radius, do they blocking somehow honey/wax production or have any other negative effect on it?

Correct me if I am wrong but as I understood, in order to have some honey/wax production going we can't have row of bee hives at same location and instead we need to spread all our domestic bee hives around our deeds with 1 bee hive in middle within its ql radius and if fences,buildings etc have effect on honey production then we just need to have whole deed dedicated to few bee hives?Or Its simply crazy or I am missing something here :huh:

7 hours ago, Rhea said:

I have question, not sure if someone already mentioned it. What about buildings, roads and fences within bee hive radius, do they blocking somehow honey/wax production or have any other negative effect on it?

Correct me if I am wrong but as I understood, in order to have some honey/wax production going we can't have row of bee hives at same location and instead we need to spread all our domestic bee hives around our deeds with 1 bee hive in middle within its ql radius and if fences,buildings etc have effect on honey production then we just need to have whole deed dedicated to few bee hives?Or Its simply crazy or I am missing something here :huh:

I imagine roads/buildings/enchanted tiles all detract from the bee hive production. Would like to get a confirmation on the enchanted tiles though, also is lawn considered the same as pavement?

Also would we be better in ripping out floors, planting grass inside a building, then rebuilding the floor to gain the extra bit of production grass would provide? There is only so much area on a normal deed that is grass/crops/tree's, rest is paving and buildings, so this does not leave much for honey production on the average deed. Also new construction should be started with flowers in place. ;)

Edited by JakeRivers

On 07/12/2016 at 6:57 PM, JakeRivers said:

Can we have a dev confirm it's an intended mechanism?

3 hours ago, Odynn said:

No need, My hives did it on my deed. I had 1 active, 1 empty. My buddy had his hive active hive over the fence, his migrated 6 tiles to my empty higher QL hive.

the fact it happens doesn't confirm it's intended / not a bug. Specially seeing that you can steal swarms that way... hence why an official word is needed on that.

Edited by Odynn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Odynn said:

the fact it happens doesn't confirm it's intended / not a bug. Specially seeing that you can steal swarms that way... hence why an official word is needed on that.

Not everyone can imp there hive to 90+ ql so may be an intended feature to allow people without the fc skill to upgrade there hives with new ones they pick up.

If you have hives on your deed, keep your eyes open for poachers. ;)

12 hours ago, Odynn said:

I believe that Retro already stated that it is "intended" that bees in a domestic hive will migrate into one of a higher QL. I even had this happen on my deed when I dropped a higher QL hive (of about 3 QL higher) next to my other hive. The intended purpose was to get more bees into it from the tree but they just migrated from one hive to the other instead. Finally I got the clue to move the occupied one to another spot on the deed much further away.

Probably the best solution to perimeter bee-napping is to make sure hives are further away from it, as well as improving them to the highest QL possible per player skill. Still, I am not envisioning this to really be much of a problem. Soon most who want to keep bees will have enough hives of their own on their deeds to support this *rash* habit.

=Ayes=

I am not sure how much of an issue the migration will be other than people just being underhanded.  I have had 3 migrations from wild hives, that has since turned into 8 hives.  I think i there is not enough flowers now, but i am confident if i move four of those hives away i would fill more hives in short order.   Once you have an established hive or two it is just about waiting.  

Once i have a better setup i may just start letting people know they can place a hive near a certain spot to capture a busy queen.  Or maybe i will put a low ql hive next to my hives to capture the queen then put that near my perimeter.  I think the days of people trying to sell hives just for queens are numbered.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2016 at 8:14 AM, Rhea said:

Fences (and other border stuff) should not affect bees.  Paving (and anything that alters a tile) will, as the tile no longer contributes to the hive production - see my post above for a list of tile types that contribute to hive production.  To get better honey and wax production, you should spread your hives out a bit, but some overlap is fine (unless you can't live without absolute maximum yields).

20 hours ago, Odynn said:

intended.

Remember, it also works like altars, the further away it is, the lower effective ql it will be(e).

Planting a 90ql hive next to a 40ql hive will take the queen, but planting it ten tiles away will likely not.

That's how it is at this point anyways, though I have already raised allowing locks to prevent this.

• Like 1

do flower planters and flower beds actually add to the honey a hive/queen yields (i susprect they dont) ? if not, why ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pandalet said:

Fences (and other border stuff) should not affect bees.  Paving (and anything that alters a tile) will, as the tile no longer contributes to the hive production - see my post above for a list of tile types that contribute to hive production.  To get better honey and wax production, you should spread your hives out a bit, but some overlap is fine (unless you can't live without absolute maximum yields).

Any comment on this? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q_KTdf2Oc_HiMtPobQhfn5fJorkP9BdY0ekLq2AyROY/edit#gid=0

Flowers are absolute crap for honey production when they're supposed to be the best thing in the game.

Am I the only one noticing the big pink elephant in the room?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alyeska said:

Any comment on this? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q_KTdf2Oc_HiMtPobQhfn5fJorkP9BdY0ekLq2AyROY/edit#gid=0

Flowers are absolute crap for honey production when they're supposed to be the best thing in the game.

That does seem a little odd - please make a post in server bugs with that info, including exact layout of tiles and hives involved.  A high ql hive surrounded by flowers, with no other hives overlapping its area should give really good production.

2 hours ago, Zekezor said:

Am I the only one noticing the big pink elephant in the room?

no, and they seem to have no distant animation "lod" disable like other things do, so they are animating in your local 24/7 contributing to leak

I have also noticed over  the past few days all my bee hives which were yielding .5kgs a day dropped dramatically to at most .02 a day and those are in large flower fields. Seems like it might have something to do with the last update.

10 hours ago, Pandalet said:

Thank you for info Pandalet!

I am experimenting atm to see where is honey/wax production is the best. But I noticed that no matter where is bee hive located we do not see any wax production, just honey. I tried crops, flowers, all kind of trees and no results. If its bug? Also can you please tell us if enchanted grass tiles considering as paved, same question about lawn??