Sign in to follow this  
Bigsmith

Bees

2kgs of honey isnt required for bees to go from a wild hive to a domestic hive.

2kgs of honey is required to produce a second queen in a domestic hive to allow migration to another domestic hive.

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

2kgs of honey isnt required for bees to go from a wild hive to a domestic hive.

2kgs of honey is required to produce a second queen in a domestic hive to allow migration to another domestic hive.

Yes that is in the google doc's.

The google doc's also say you can put honey or sugar in the domestic hive to keep the bee's happy, we are still waiting on sugar crops and you can not put honey in the hive, have not had any sugar to try yet, but I would like to top off my domestic hives to 2kg's of honey to help them along.

The google doc's say flowers are best, and young tree's, crops, steppe and grass helping as well.

The doc's do not mention how big a radius they use to decide on how much honey they will produce. Is it tied into the range of the bee emote's? They also do not mention if having multiple hives in the same area affect honey production, it seems to though so they should tell us how far apart we need to keep these hives. I would really prefer to keep all my hives in the same location, I plan to have a lot of them and would rather not have them spread from one end of my deed to the other.

I know Tich would like to keep us guessing at all the mysteries of this feature, but I see it as pointless as when its released to wu all the mystery will be reveled anyways.

• Like 2

In real life you would leave them (their own) honey for the winter or add sugar.

Never add honey.

Also I noticed today my domestic hive is busy, first time that happened the bee's moved to the new hive right away, this time they just sitting there for the last 3 hours, being busy. I have replanted the hive and will see if that helps, and before someone ask's, yes the secondary hive is of higher ql.

not getting any bees still, why do they hate me :(

• Like 1

My hive produced a second Queen with only 1.2kgs of honey so I disagree with the 2kg minimum. Also will note that multiple hives produced a second Queen about the same time. Are we sure it's not just a time of year that instigates new queens?

Another question Retro, do queen bee's fly over fences to occupy a domestic hive?

• Like 1

I don't think they path and consider fences, as they dont actually exist as creatures

11 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I don't think they path and consider fences, as they dont actually exist as creatures

Can you get more specific than 'I think' ;)

I am testing this in 2 places atm, so maybe will have my answer soon, been 2 days so far.

With my own fences, keeping the bears away from ma honey!

Edited by JakeRivers

I'm seriously getting extremely disappointed and frustrated here, the lack of information doesn't help things. Players saying one thing, guide says another, no one wants to be honest. The struggle is real.

WHY DO THESE BEES NOT MIGRATE!

Sugar in domestic hive since day 1 of update, not one of my hives has become active...migration is still incredibly broken or it has parameters in place that are unrealistic, wax is still broken as well. I mean cmon bees are suspose to be a highlight of this patch and your keeping them from us.

I have a ton of honey though, about 10 wild hives near me, nothing works! Domestic Hives are above the QL of the wild also.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Another question Retro, do queen bee's fly over fences to occupy a domestic hive?

yes they will fly over fences and keep in mind they will migrate farther the higher ql of the hive.

1 hour ago, Niki said:

I'm seriously getting extremely disappointed and frustrated here, the lack of information doesn't help things. Players saying one thing, guide says another, no one wants to be honest. The struggle is real.

Sugar in domestic hive since day 1 of update, not one of my hives has become active...migration is still incredibly broken or it has parameters in place that are unrealistic, wax is still broken as well. I mean cmon bees are suspose to be a highlight of this patch and your keeping them from us.

I have a ton of honey though, about 10 wild hives near me, nothing works! Domestic Hives are above the QL of the wild also.

i would suggest dropping lower ql hives as well to get the second queen. Ive also found that the older hives are still not migrating as often and the newer ones migrated within a few hours of placing hives near them.

Side note, if you have a domesticated hive that has split to a new hive you will need to move it away from the other hive. not exactly sure how many tiles but 10 seems to be good. will test it closer over the weekend to see the exact number.

Edited by JudusX

I've had 3 wild hives swap to my domestic hives that I placed by them. My hives were 65ish QL, with no sugar or anything in them.

The wild hives were 63 QL (This one moved to my hive and disappeared.) 41 QL (Spawned a second queen in mine, it was still there when I checked and found my active hive. It did not even have 2kg of honey in it. Had only 1.07 weight of honey when I checked.) and 53 QL (This one moved into my hive also and disappeared. Then as I was transporting it home it got hit by the transport bug  and it turned empty inside my cart.)

I had heard that if you steal their honey, they won't move, so I left their honey alone for the most part. (The 53 QL actually had an overabundance of honey...it was at 3.07 weight of honey at one point...so I had actually used the measuring jug to take some out and lower it to the 1.99 weight to test if you could trigger a second queen spawn, and the next day is when it had moved over.)

When they become active, you can no longer 'take' (Pickup off the ground), and they give you an error message saying you can only load them. Also, they changed the 'plant' feature for them, but it's currently wonky and the active hives have to be unloaded then right click - 'secure' option appears to 'plant' them, but the empty hives can be in inventory, and you can use the right click - plant, but it stays in your inventory, and you have to drop it and then it's planted. (They are supposedly working on a fix for this.)

If you're looking for data, that's the best I can provide.

• Like 1

TIck reported in the server bugs that the new spawn amount of a second queen is 1kg, I have trapped 4 queens so far out of quite a few wild hives I have a domestic hive sitting next to waiting for something to happen.

2 domestic hives are noisy, but no luck in migration yet.

I heard noisy wild hives have a good chance of a queen moving over.

13 hours ago, JudusX said:

not exactly sure how many tiles but 10 seems to be good.

This is what I am seeing too, I sure hope it not to be the case, I don't want to cover my deed in bee hives. I really want to keep them in the same general area.

Edited by JakeRivers

Since it seems hives have to be separated by some silly distances, please, @Budda, @Tich, @Retrograde, i present to you a beekeeping farm:

36872224-Beehives-in-bee-farm-Forest-of-

(if the image dies, look it up in google image search)

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 3

The 2kg honey requirement to  spawn a second queen has been reduced to 1kg.  You do not need any honey in either hive for migration.  Migration of a single queen from a wild hive to a domestic one requires the domestic hive to be higher ql than the wild one.  Walling off a wild hive makes no difference - bee migration ignores walls.  Migration of a single queen is not guaranteed and relies on a RNG roll (although this chance has been recently increased).

20 hours ago, Niki said:

The document is the authoritative source.  If you have evidence that something works in a way that is different to the document, then please post it as a bug.  Note that the doc doesn't always catch up with tweaks immediately (e.g. the 2kg/1kg honey thing).  At the end of the day, if you choose not to believe that the official documentation is honest, then I'm not sure what to say. 

Bee hives will produce honey and wax over time, during spring, summer and autumn, with the amount produced depending on what tile types are nearby.  Crops, flowers and trees will all increase yields - flowers are best, but trees (at certain ages) and crops (at certain maturities) also help.  Grass and steppe also add to honey yield.  Hives look at tiles around them, with the radius they will check being dependant on hive quality (higher ql hives will look at a larger area).  The quality of the produced honey and wax will be the same as the hive quality, and depend on the hive having enough space to hold them (i.e. if the hive is full, no new honey or wax will be created).  If the surrounding tiles don’t produce enough nectar to feed the bees, no honey or wax will be produced.

I think most of us have pored over the official google doc, for the most part it is fairly clear. What some of us are trying to figure out is why when we park 2 or more domestic hives next to each other the honey production seems to dramatically drop off on some of the hives. The above information is not clear on how many tiles of radius is needed to keep the bee's happy, and if the same area can be shared by multiple hives. The information being a bit more exact would greatly help us in planning out our on deed honey farms that some of us want to create.

Also how much honey and wax can a hive hold?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PhEhJkjNy-jl3_L5mdaQRVzyfdS7MfAt8_iNwSaHYYE/edit#

Im still wait for a migration from a noisy hive which is mine on deed. Still nothing.

Lost a queen when unloading, it was from a noisy hive in the wild which is still a live and well. 

There is much frustration in this one. hmmm

1 hour ago, Milosanx said:

Im still wait for a migration from a noisy hive which is mine on deed. Still nothing.

Lost a queen when unloading, it was from a noisy hive in the wild which is still a live and well. 

There is much frustration in this one. hmmm

From the google doc:

If a hive has a second queen, loading it onto a vehicle will kill off the extra queen.

Don't move your domestic if it went noisy, you will need to park a higher ql hive next to it and wait till migration happens or as the doc says you loose the second queen.

Does wax stop producing at some point? Been 3 days since I had any wax generate in my 2 domestic hives on deed.

Quality of your hive means nothing for taking a second Queen. I've had 50/50 success with lower quality hives taking the queen even with hives of double quality. Play it safe and place both a low and higher.

Welp, the bees in the tree on my deed migrated into the domestic hive I placed there. Now it is already a "noisy" one with an extra queen.

The other hive in the trees in the wild has also turned noisy but they still haven't migrated into my domestic hive of 20 higher QL that I placed about 7 days before the one on my deed. So I removed that hive and placed a new one there to see if maybe the hive itself is bugged in some way.

Also, just for the heck of it I took that first hive and dropped it onto my deed next to the noisy one to see if anything will happen. Now time will tell of the results.

=Ayes=

Same thing with me Ayes, have had my rare hive that I made on release day parked under the same wild hive since release day, 90ql, and wild is 50+, no luck. The wild hive has gone noisy so I am going to give it another few days to see if my rare is bugged or not.

Has been a long wait.

• Like 1

Well. This wild beehive I found next day after update. Today, the bees had finally moved to my domestic hive (wild hive ql39, domestic ql52). So off to home with it. And this is what happened:

[12:58:35] You ride on the wagon as the driver.

[13:03:03] You finish loading the active bee hive.

[15:10:56] You finish unloading the active bee hive from the wagon.

[15:11:23] You board on the knarr as the captain. (note: no sailing between servers, just short distance inside Xanadu)

[15:11:32] You finish loading the active bee hive.

[15:34:37] You finish unloading the active bee hive from the knarr.

[15:34:41] You start to load the active bee hive. (loading it into my wagon)

[15:34:45] You finish loading the active bee hive. (so it still had bees there when finished loading)

[15:36:41] You start to unload the empty bee hive from the wagon.

[15:36:41] You finish unloading the empty bee hive from the wagon.

I have found 3 other beehives in wild as well, but all of them in awful travel from my place. 2 of the 3 are noisy, so i'm having domestic hives at them now, hoping for 2nd queen migrating, so if this bug hits again, at least wild hive would still be left for another try.

- Nestangol