Sign in to follow this  
Bigsmith

Bees

16 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Remember, it also works like altars, the further away it is, the lower effective ql it will be(e).

Planting a 90ql hive next to a 40ql hive will take the queen, but planting it ten tiles away will likely not.

That's how it is at this point anyways, though I have already raised allowing locks to prevent this.

Altars cannot be stolen, nor dispelled and only pushed since a few. Their total lack of value is not the same as a hive.

With the insane range requirement, many of us have their hives on the deeds borders, that system make it easy for any wanabe griefers to take the queens freely.

Yes please, make locked hives protected. The whole deed it or lose it is already broken, give us a way to prevent hives thievery.

• Like 6

I have found a wild hive with QL57 but can only make QL 30ish hives. A second queen has spawned in the wild hive 6 days ago. I had put an empty QL32 hive next to it on the same day. No migration of the 2nd queen for 4 days. I put sugar into the first domestic hive and a second (empty) 30 QL hive next to it for good measure (two hives, twice the chance?).

No migration still as of last night. Does it really have to take this long?

1 hour ago, Eltaran said:

I have found a wild hive with QL57 but can only make QL 30ish hives. A second queen has spawned in the wild hive 6 days ago. I had put an empty QL32 hive next to it on the same day. No migration of the 2nd queen for 4 days. I put sugar into the first domestic hive and a second (empty) 30 QL hive next to it for good measure (two hives, twice the chance?).

No migration still as of last night. Does it really have to take this long?

It is pure RNG. I have 2 hives of better quality next to a wild hive for weeks now and no migration, no split, no anything. Well it is almost autumn now, so better luck next year I guess. It is just funny to watch other people worry that they may lose one of their many hives to a thief :)

5 minutes ago, Erlindur said:

It is pure RNG. I have 2 hives of better quality next to a wild hive for weeks now and no migration, no split, no anything. Well it is almost autumn now, so better luck next year I guess. It is just funny to watch other people worry that they may lose one of their many hives to a thief :)

Besides the hive needing to be higher ql than the wild hive, you need to leave the honey in it alone.  They won't move or  develop a 2nd queen if you keep taking the honey.  A hive of higher ql DOES make it happen faster, the higher the better.  And have either of you tried to use just 1 hive to attract the bees?  Two hives may be causing a conflict so they choose neither.

6 minutes ago, Vroomfondel said:

Besides the hive needing to be higher ql than the wild hive, you need to leave the honey in it alone.  They won't move or  develop a 2nd queen if you keep taking the honey.  A hive of higher ql DOES make it happen faster, the higher the better.  And have either of you tried to use just 1 hive to attract the bees?  Two hives may be causing a conflict so they choose neither.

I'm checking the honey and it is steadily over 2k in it. I only started to take some honey from it the last couple of days, so that i can have some for cooking but I take it with the measuring jar and always leave more than 2k in. As for the second hive, I've only put it there after more than a week of no action with my first one. So, I guess I have just bad luck.

Edited by Erlindur

4 hours ago, Vroomfondel said:

I thought maybe the delay in a second queen migrating recently might have been related to me taking a bit of honey out every time I went and checked. But then it did eventually migrate, so not sure that's necessarily a concern.

#Erlindur Have you tried to shove the hive(s) partly across the border on to the same tile the wild hive is (until you get a message it won't go any further onto that tile)? I had the same as you, then after endless waiting I did that shoving and bingo, half hour later for one and hour later for the second they migrated...  (statistically it could still be coïncidence of course... but it didn't seem to be).

41 minutes ago, Kianga said:

#Erlindur Have you tried to shove the hive(s) partly across the border on to the same tile the wild hive is (until you get a message it won't go any further onto that tile)? I had the same as you, then after endless waiting I did that shoving and bingo, half hour later for one and hour later for the second they migrated...  (statistically it could still be coïncidence of course... but it didn't seem to be).

Well, one of my hives is actually on the same tile as the wild hive. If you are not allowed to place a hive in the same tile, then I'm sitting on a bug. It is still there, any dev can go and check it out.

The only warning I got was about placing a second domestic on the same tile.

Edited by Erlindur

My rare 92ql sat next to a wild hive for more than 2 weeks before migration happened. 

I think it is just horrible RNG, another hive was 18 days.

15 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

My rare 92ql sat next to a wild hive for more than 2 weeks before migration happened. 

I think it is just horrible RNG, another hive was 18 days.

My thought as well. Just bad RNG. Right now, my biggest RNG frustration is my meditation question pop up, not the hives. Bee keeping is just another mini game. After a few months, people will sit on so much honey and wax that they will abandon most of their hives.  As for me, I really don't have anything to wax seal in yet and I only need honey for a couple of cooking lore requests. No big deal. If there is a bug with my hives though, I would be glad to help.

Edited by Erlindur

Best way i have found is to stick one higher quality hive and 2 lower quality  hives near the wild one. Ive had good success  with that strategy. Remember the second queen will randomly select the  hive, quality has not been a factor from my experience so far.

Edited by JudusX

I am not taking honey, It is above 2kg and the 2nd queen still refuses to move. Let us just hope that we see a few more hives in spring...

On 12/11/2016 at 11:47 AM, Galadhel said:

do flower planters and flower beds actually add to the honey a hive/queen yields (i susprect they dont) ? if not, why ?

Wondering this myself. It would be great if they counted. Gives another reason to pretty your deed up.

wax production doesn't seem to happen anymore, is this going to be fixed?

Not sure if this helps but, I was lucky enough to have a wild hive (31q) on-deed.

I imped another hive to a higher quality (41q) than the wild and added some sugar to the empty hive. When the wild hive reached 2kg I got a message to the effect that there was some unusual activity in the wild hive.

After two days of this, I found out yesterday that I now have a new domestic hive.

I think in the early days when bees were first introduced into the game that the system of migration connected with the hives placed was bugged. So if any left their original created and placed hives there they were not migrating into them. When I replaced my domestic hive placed on the second day with a newly created one, the next day they migrated into it. So replacing a hive placed a week or two ago with another newly created on might help. Also some improvements to the migrating system have been made along the way which should make migration faster for new domestic hives placed.

=Ayes=

2 hours ago, Ayes said:

I think in the early days when bees were first introduced into the game that the system of migration connected with the hives placed was bugged. So if any left their original created and placed hives there they were not migrating into them. When I replaced my domestic hive placed on the second day with a newly created one, the next day they migrated into it. So replacing a hive placed a week or two ago with another newly created on might help. Also some improvements to the migrating system have been made along the way which should make migration faster for new domestic hives placed.

=Ayes=

Nah, I don't think this is the case. I have another scenario in mind. First of all, the cooking doc states that there is one check every real day for hive migration. So, all those stories about having a hive migrate after a half hour or so, are based on something else. Devs wanted an initial domestic hive population, so for the first few days the system checked every now and then. Once the initial number was reached, the checking switched back to the original planning. So, if you didn't get a hive in the rush, you simply play with the planned rules for now on. One RNG check per RL day. If after some months of play, the number of active hives goes really down, it may change for the better. Or for worse if there are too many hives. 

Anyway, a new domestic right now would be simply a sugar drain hole. There is no way the hive will produce enough honey to feed itself till spring and there is no guarantee that there will be a hive alive by then,  even if you feed it. Another RNG check, one that I expect to be a constant balancing focus for the next few months.

Just an update, as I did previously report my beehive turned out empty when transported to deed.

I did manage to bring 2 beehives successfully to my home(s) yesterday. From same area as unsuccessful attempt earlier. Also my third domestic hive next to busy beehive in the wild had been occupied (could not bring it home yet, as I was just riding past and you need to load active hive, but will try today or tomorrow).

So, a good sign for the update having fixed the issue. Of course I could have just gotten lucky this time, as the problem was not hitting everyone every time before. But anyway thumbs up from me, hopefully the issue is now solved.

wax is broken, honey is broken still, winters coming rip

The wild hives I checked did have small increase in wax and honey. Can't say about domestic hives of course, since they are too new.

If you want to get more honey and wax for the time being you  will need to move domestic hives away from your flower patches and into crop fields or the woods as flowers tiles are still broken and will not yeild wax or honey.

Well, I'm just now reading some of forumthreads I should have read before. So it seems, I cut my honey and wax production by planting flowers close to my beehives... But doesn't matter too much. This was one of those projects that took way too many hours (as there was absolutely no beehives anywhere near me (no, did not climb every mountaintop, some of them could still have hives) and took lot of hiking to find the ones I got) for no gain until yesterday. Right now I'm just happy to have the hives at home and IF they survive winter, will concentrate more on beekeeping next Wurm spring.

But in any case, thanks JudusX for your comment, it did get me to read right stuff, now I know better.

On 13/12/2016 at 10:53 PM, Erlindur said:

Nah, I don't think this is the case. I have another scenario in mind. First of all, the cooking doc states that there is one check every real day for hive migration. So, all those stories about having a hive migrate after a half hour or so, are based on something else. Devs wanted an initial domestic hive population, so for the first few days the system checked every now and then. Once the initial number was reached, the checking switched back to the original planning. So, if you didn't get a hive in the rush, you simply play with the planned rules for now on. One RNG check per RL day. If after some months of play, the number of active hives goes really down, it may change for the better. Or for worse if there are too many hives. 

Anyway, a new domestic right now would be simply a sugar drain hole. There is no way the hive will produce enough honey to feed itself till spring and there is no guarantee that there will be a hive alive by then,  even if you feed it. Another RNG check, one that I expect to be a constant balancing focus for the next few months.

Nope.  There have been tweaks here and there (e.g. migration is now more likely), but the basic mechanic has remained the same from launch.  The approximately-once-per-day check is exactly that, approximate.  And there's still RNG.  And the specific time of day varies from tile to tile.  So you may be lucky and have a check happen right after you plant a hive, and hit the right random number, or you may not.  No complex conspiracy stuff.

Please note, honey in the hive doesn't directly affect migration.  You need at least 1kg of honey in a hive to get a second queen (in the right season), and a second queen has lower requirements to migrate, but you don't need to maintain honey in a wild hive for the wild hive to migrate: you just have to have a (higher ql) empty domestic hive ready and hit the RNG.

I have had 2 hives go wild that had under 1kg of honey and sugar, is the sugar counting towards the 1kg honey?

The 10x10 radius is too massive, the hives I have been overlapping roughly 5x5 do not produce much at all, I think this needs to be addressed.