Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Epic Skill Merge

It's just a thought but currently if I go to epic I'd be starting over with nothing.   If I like epic but want to retire to PvE (or go to chaos) I'd be starting over with nothing.  Thats a pretty high deterrant for a game where timesinking is the main purpose.

Why not just let skills carry over to and from epic (existing characters with two skillsets get the highest value in each)?

The thinking behind this is that it allows folks to switch between chaos and epic as well as letting freedomers get their PvP feet wet without the need to grind for weeks and/or risk their items and/or risk being trapped.

I will openly confess that I have not considered potential balance issues here, but to be quite frank I can't really see any obvious ones.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

It's just a thought but currently if I go to epic I'd be starting over with nothing.   If I like epic but want to retire to PvE (or go to chaos) I'd be starting over with nothing.  Thats a pretty high deterrant for a game where timesinking is the main purpose.

Why not just let skills carry over to and from epic (existing characters with two skillsets get the highest value in each)?

The thinking behind this is that it allows folks to switch between chaos and epic as well as letting freedomers get their PvP feet wet without the need to grind for weeks and/or risk their items and/or risk being trapped.

I will openly confess that I have not considered potential balance issues here, but to be quite frank I can't really see any obvious ones.

maurizio suggested an idea quite similar to this, and its literally so simple but genius at the same time. the problem is most people haven't played dual cluster and picture epic to be some sort of 100x gain challenge server and imagine that everyone on epic is 100 in everything or something

I can't remember if the devs replied with a 'no' or not, but this change would be so good for both sides as long as epic skill gain sub 70 is slowed down a bit. It would basically feel like the same skill gain on each cluster, the only difference is on Epic you'd benefit from the curve. I'd love to bring my main over and play with some bros on chaos and then be able to jump right back home. edit: and if skill gain was precisely the same from 1 to 100, you could benefit from playing both clusters at the same time without feeling like yer wasting time

Edited by platinumteef

I'd support a one time transfer of your freedom skills over to Epic to have as your starting skills on Epic, and have that vice versa for Epic to Freedom.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Firestarter said:

I'd support a one time transfer of your freedom skills over to Epic to have as your starting skills on Epic, and have that vice versa for Epic to Freedom.

+1

14 minutes ago, Firestarter said:

yea but why not go above and beyond such a simple transfer mechanic

why not allow complete seamless game play between both clusters simultaenously, where grinding on one is the same as grinding on the other

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

yea but why not go above and beyond such a simple transfer mechanic

why not allow complete seamless game play between both clusters simultaenously, where grinding on one is the same as grinding on the other

I'd even support that right now.

• Like 3

I don't want the epic cluster to be shutdown but I think it would be nice to have a universal system for skills that allows you to work on either cluster and still gain skill.

Something like convert the skill into a base xp system that is used cross cluster, then on each server the xp is converted back into the skill value. So if you were 50 something on chaos you could go to epic and have 70 or something. This way you could combine the skills from epic and freedom and freely move between the servers.

I don't think there would be too much of a problem with the freedom accounts as epic has been out for a long time and the devs implemented a curve for damage. It might even help to revive the epic server as some people from freedom might want to try the curve but don't want to make a new account. The same could also be said about epic players who want to try freedom but don't want to spend years grinding another account.

Edited by blayze
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, MisterTeddy said:

Filling in for Lorena

31/1600

merge pls

I never said i want a merge buddy lol, u are right that the low epic playercounts make me very sad tho. 

I'm not part of the merge fanboy club, I just want epic to be unique and cool again. 

Merging for me would be just as the ele reset, fun for a while but after a few months we have same problems ;)

12 minutes ago, LorenaMontana said:

I never said i want a merge buddy lol, u are right that the low epic playercounts make me very sad tho. 

I'm not part of the merge fanboy club, I just want epic to be unique and cool again. 

Merging for me would be just as the ele reset, fun for a while but after a few months we have same problems ;)

wouldn't be as bad as the reset, especially if we get a good map and issues aren't ignored

if it drops off then atleast players have the option of retiring on one of the freedom servers instead of quitting the game

12 minutes ago, Worksock said:

wouldn't be as bad as the reset, especially if we get a good map and issues aren't ignored

if it drops off then atleast players have the option of retiring on one of the freedom servers instead of quitting the game

Yeah true, something needs to happen i agree but a flat out merge wouldnt help, as u say: issues shouldnt be ignored in the first place for example lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, platinumteef said:

maurizio suggested an idea quite similar to this, and its literally so simple but genius at the same time. the problem is most people haven't played dual cluster and picture epic to be some sort of 100x gain challenge server and imagine that everyone on epic is 100 in everything or something

This has been suggested by me behind the scenes and spoken about alot by Darklords behind the scenes; This is the main idea behind the "merge to epic" - along with a portal CD removal.

The one problem we have tho is having high stamina accounts come over, right now epics average is probably around 30, compared to the average freedom of 45, that goes a long way in terms of fights, + other body stats; we were thinking a -10 on body stats when you cross over to epic but skills on freedom are frozen; if they grind on epic it only goes up on epic, if they go back, they go back to what they left. 

The main benefits to this is a complete split of mechanics; we can go wild with epic mechanics and make it the main pvp-focus, Chaos is held back because mechanics are linked to freedom, so they can't go as wild. 

Edited by Mclovin

The problem is I feel the devs don't want to deal with the freedom cluster complaining about epic skills transferring without a conversion to what they would be on freedom and the epic cluster will complain about the diluted returns above the 70 skill mark. 

The best way to squash this is for the devs to spend a little bit of time which in all reality wouldn't be much and take exactly what calculations they have in the code that changes epic skill and create an algorithm or heck all they need to do is give us players the correct info and we would do the testing For them and get to the real bottom line as to what the major difference is. I'm fairly sure the diminished returns per milestone 70 80 90 would create its own % difference and that could be used to convert Every epic account (sorry guys but that's where the fix would have to happen For this to work its just the reality of it) and then adjust the curve to make up the difference for epic. You now have every single account in game on the same level and now its extremely simple to create a portal players can take back and forth between clusters. Epic will continue to have a the new adjusted skill curve so the older epic players don't feel a thing in terms of being nerfed. 

Making skills the same again between the clusters opens up a world of possibilities to making epic fun and giving MANY epic players who have outright quit the game a chance to come back and partake in freedom cluster as well. Best thing about This is all items will remain seperate not affecting then other cluster (sorry this also means if items remain seperate that sorcery items eatten also remain seperate) and both clusters can greatly benefit from this.

The proof is in the pudding, when challenge server came out many many freedom players tried it out. One major draw what the extreme skill gains but think about it if a freedomer can take over their already trained skills don't you think they would?

I'm going to answer one concern that will be brought up right now. "What about accounts that have skills on both servers."  Very simple solution no one in the game that plays would complain if you came out with a skill conversion and just took the higher of the skill, so if the epic skill is higher then the freedom skill after conversion well just adjust it... That only means That the player actually spent twice the amount of time skilling that skill twice so give him/her the higher of the 2. 

Edited by RandomHero

Should cut their skills in half, and then let them join freedom, starting from zero can be heartbreaking.

38 minutes ago, Rathgar said:

Should cut their skills in half, and then let them join freedom, starting from zero can be heartbreaking.

Because losing a lot of your skills isn't? 

Absolutely not to this one. How would you like it if all your skills were sliced in half and you were dumped onto Epic?

43 minutes ago, Rathgar said:

Also let us be cut in half, so we can be new dwarf race, humble servants of freedom master race.

Couse everyone knew, that we pay for wurm in potatoes, not in euros like master race.

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 2

I find it highly amusing both sides want to posture as the "more difficult" of the 2 clusters to play on.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

I find it highly amusing both sides want to posture as the "more difficult" of the 2 clusters to play on.

666.jpg

Coincidence? I don't think so.

\ o /

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pingpong said:

That's why the disaster is already written into the hypothetical merge. No matter which cluster is easier/harder to skill on, one of them will start complaining about things being unfair.

3 hours ago, rixk said:

That's why the disaster is already written into the hypothetical merge. No matter which cluster is easier/harder to skill on, one of them will start complaining about things being unfair.

And then under the skill merge they could switch clusters to the one they think is "easier"

The point here was to offer players the choice on how they play, let them spend a week PvPing and then go for a week PvEing while still feeling their character (their investment in the game) is growing.

People like Ruthgar just can't understand how a curve works so probably shouldn't comment on anything curve related, until they understand.

5 hours ago, Pingpong said:

To be expected when peoples months of work are at stake, such as an individuals 99 lockpicking or 99 weaponsmithing or 100 farming or whatever.

At this point i'm done trying to push these suggestions though. Most of the playerbase would rather be selfish and keep their own account values temporarily high and are perfectly content with letting the other cluster just die off.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bix said:

bump for one-time transfer option.

NO for the love of GOD a 1 time transfer is not a good option!

The clusters need to be pulled together as much as possible a 1 time transfer basically says by epic we will see what happens when you only have 20 people playing and the wurm team sees its not paying for itself anymore. 

Epic has its purpose its great mix that is needed to be revived... Look at how many people play on different WU servers and what do they all have in common with Epic? They all have some type of modifier to skills or timers epic could be revived once again by adding a few of these mods to EPIC only making it a place people want to try. 

Now before Epic gets these additions a full MAIN skill transfer is needed make all of wurm have the exact same REAL skill value and adjust the skill curve to keep Epic to its roots. Now you don't need this 1 time option, you now have multi options which allows you to take your skills to freedom with no curve or epic with a curve.

• Like 1