Sign in to follow this  
Emoo

Why I quit Wurm PvP

[11:30:22] The settlement of Kratos has just been disbanded by Borislavic.

[11:38:41] The settlement of Hades Wall has just been disbanded by Fobagel.

To all Wurmians:

So today I present to you all abit of a rant/ramble about why I'm quiting the Wurm PvP servers alone with 30 odd active members of Empire of Mol Rehan.  I've been lucky enough to be a part of MR from the very start and I am always going to grateful for being able to forge relationships that have lasted not only for years but have also given me the opportunity to travel around the world. From Woodscove, Rivendell, HoM and Kratos all have given me many fond memories but now it's time to close the book on this all and start another one. 

The good news is atleast I am not (as of right now) entirely quit Wurm, I am going to wait and see if my motivation to play on Freedom returns, if it does I will continue with my Fosters Brewery series. To all those people who have supported me and my endevours over the years both on Chaos and off I extend my deepest thanks. I also would like to extend a big thankyou to Enki and anyone else involved in the recent account thefts, your swift action and help is one of the reasons I have not entirely given up on this game. 

To any forum moderators:  

I took careful note of the forum rules to ensure I did not violate any forum rules when recording this video (no names or even affiliations mentioned etc) If there is any problems with this video please PM me and advise me as to any modifications that need to be made and they will be done. I would like to keep this open as I feel it is topical and helps voice the frustrations of a large group of players right now and also servers as a warning to future players. 

To any interested in sources:

Fake EMR host forum being used as a phishing website:

The bannings:

Edited by Emoo
  • Like 12

nice

never really took you as a liar though in terms of the "phishing website"

Edited by Soil

Well said... especially the work to not point fingers persay, and reflects my own views on meta-gaming. Doubt I could say the same without delving into darker areas.

Metagaming at such levels in Wurm is simply abhorrent.

All these years... Never thought I would be washing my hands of Chaos in disgust and moving to a Freedom server. :(

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 6

This is sad. Its a game and ppl invest in it. But comon, Nice job you jk nabs that did this. Poor

• Like 3

Just now, elroth said:

time for a chaos reset ;)

maybe merge it to epic heehe

Wheres a Dislike when you need one? :P

Nay, despite what has happened to tarnish it. Chaos still has a lot of history on it, good or bad depending on one's viewpoint.

Besides... Resets and Merges will fix nothing. Unfortunately in this context, its the human players.

• Like 6

Merge it to epic so chaos gets more and more toxic players... yeah great idea.

• Like 2

yea kinda saddening that youre making mr kingdom saints when theres identical cases of account theft, popping longhouses to raid deeds easyer and stuff, you think that didnt burn your enemies out?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Klaa said:

Wheres a Dislike when you need one? :P

Nay, despite what has happened to tarnish it. Chaos still has a lot of history on it, good or bad depending on one's viewpoint.

Besides... Resets and Merges will fix nothing. Unfortunately in this context, its the human players.

i totally agree, was joking, resets seem to be the "go to" fix that is yelled when things are bad

My part in this conversation will be on the issue of "How did we end up here".

I took the time to watch your complete video and even take notes before attempting to reply as this is a very sensitive matter. First of all, I have to say that I feel for you. Sailing in a boat, fleeing from a server while thinking back on all the memories and moments while recording it is heartbreaking and a tough thing to do for anyone. This might be new to you, but for the rest of us it's something we've done a coupe of times when you and your friendly kingdom decided that Chaos had no room for anyone but those that would bend their knee to your kingdom. Now, you too understand how it feels to be booted out of your lands and have all your belonging stolen.

Who do I refer to when I say the rest of us though ? I mean those of us that paid for your 1500 euro worth of gear that you lost and so dramatically mourn for. Those of us who's gear you people have been stealing and looting for over four years now. Those of us whose deeds you've been draining all those years. Those of us who your kingdom has been mocking all those years with impolite and completelly off the political correctness map attitudes. Well, to you, "all of us", now welcome you. Congratulations, you're officially one of us now. One of us, one of us !

So before you rush to call me an emotionless pig full of empathy, think back, how many people your kingdom has made suffer and then come to realization, that all this that happened upon your kingdom, was simply the rage of monsters you yourselves created. When you push people so much, sometimes they lash out in unpredictable ways. And thats what happened here. The MRvJKvBL ear of Chaos is over. It ended in a way, I must say was unethical and unfair. But it was an end much needed. If I may say, this was actually the "reset" Chaos needed but didn't deserve. 

On the matter of "protesting against Chaos" let me assure you that nobody is going to miss your kingdom nor will the server die due to your absence. Quite the contrary, ever since your kingdom left, the server is blooming with TONS of new individuals coming from kingdom and setting up new PMKs. You see, sandbox games, suck or shine based on the individuals that play in them. And I may say that the new players that joined in, might not be the super warriors you and your guys used to be, but they have a very nice attitude which in turn attracts even more people in the server. Something your barbaric kingdom never done, never actually wanted, never actually planned to do.

Now as for the rant on how staff members took 8 months to handle your case. I'm only going to say that they went off the rulebook to punish those that hurt you even after you had already quit. Yet you had the audacity to rant about staff members not doing their job. If I were you I'd stay silent. After all, no game mechanic was in fault for what happened to your kingdom. It was simply you not taking care about your own forums security.

Sorry that I say those things, but knowing you people for many years, I might say that I don't feel bad about what happened to your kingdom. That's my feelings and I am entitled to them.

Peace.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Electionem said:

My part in this conversation will be on the issue of "How did we end up here".

I took the time to watch your complete video and even take notes before attempting to reply as this is a very sensitive matter. First of all, I have to say that I feel for you. Sailing in a boat, fleeing from a server while thinking back on all the memories and moments while recording it is heartbreaking and a tough thing to do for anyone. This might be new to you, but for the rest of us it's something we've done a coupe of times when you and your friendly kingdom decided that Chaos had no room for anyone but those that would bend their knee to your kingdom. Now, you too understand how it feels to be booted out of your lands and have all your belonging stolen.

Who do I refer to when I say the rest of us though ? I mean those of us that paid for your 1500 euro worth of gear that you lost and so dramatically mourn for. Those of us who's gear you people have been stealing and looting for over four years now. Those of us whose deeds you've been draining all those years. Those of us who your kingdom has been mocking all those years with impolite and completelly off the political correctness map attitudes. Well, to you, "all of us", now welcome you. Congratulations, you're officially one of us now. One of us, one of us !

So before you rush to call me an emotionless pig full of empathy, think back, how many people your kingdom has made suffer and then come to realization, that all this that happened upon your kingdom, was simply the rage of monsters you yourselves created. When you push people so much, sometimes they lash out in unpredictable ways. And thats what happened here. The MRvJKvBL ear of Chaos is over. It ended in a way, I must say was unethical and unfair. But it was an end much needed. If I may say, this was actually the "reset" Chaos needed but didn't deserve. 

On the matter of "protesting against Chaos" let me assure you that nobody is going to miss your kingdom nor will the server die due to your absence. Quite the contrary, ever since your kingdom left, the server is blooming with TONS of new individuals coming from kingdom and setting up new PMKs. You see, sandbox games, suck or shine based on the individuals that play in them. And I may say that the new players that joined in, might not be the super warriors you and your guys used to be, but they have a very nice attitude which in turn attracts even more people in the server. Something your barbaric kingdom never done, never actually wanted, never actually planned to do.

Now as for the rant on how staff members took 8 months to handle your case. I'm only going to say that they went off the rulebook to punish those that hurt you even after you had already quit. Yet you had the audacity to rant about staff members not doing their job. If I were you I'd stay silent. After all, no game mechanic was in fault for what happened to your kingdom. It was simply you not taking care about your own forums security.

Sorry that I say those things, but knowing you people for many years, I might say that I don't feel bad about what happened to your kingdom. That's my feelings and I am entitled to them.

Peace.

Like I say in my video what ended up happening was almost inevitable really. We are victims or the monsters we created, ones who could not hurt us ingame but had to do it out of game. I completely agree that yeah we raided peoples stuff and took it but it was all always done ingame not out which to me is the key difference to me. 

• Like 10

Is MR really disbanded?

Anyways I do hope they fix pvp loop holes, it makes me very sad to see the community die even further like this.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Niki said:

Is MR really disbanded?

It is in the process of being so as we speak.  Kratos was the last major settlement, the few that remain are minor wardeeds that are either bugged and cannot be disbanded or have inactive players holding them.

If you lose things on Chaos through gameplay, then don't blame others... I'd never taken stuff to that sever I wasn't willing to lose...

However, we got RL data stolen, not through gameplay as intended. This is illegal and hence should be punished by RL prison.

Is this so hard to understand?

• Like 1

The thing I don't really understand is why leave when the GMs solved the case. Yes, your forum got breached, all hashes stored on it exposed (uh, like really, basic security, don't?). Why not stand up, regroup and fight those "monsters" ?

• Like 5

So big bang hapend at last.... emoo you are always welcome at glasshollow if you looking for place and community...   remember me as real rockybalboa

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Odynn said:

The thing I don't really understand is why leave when the GMs solved the case. Yes, your forum got breached, all hashes stored on it exposed (uh, like really, basic security, don't?). Why not stand up, regroup and fight those "monsters" ?

Too much damage, and a freely demonstrated willingness to even go there. Let alone trying to sort matters out while being attacked, just evacuating the deeds the last week has been bad enough.

No guarantee the GMs got all of them. Let alone those willing to do so; however, for whatever reason weren't involved in these incidents to be caught.

EDIT:  "Basic" security existed; however, as any security professional can explain, nothing can be 100% safe and still remain usable. Aside such arguments being similar to blaming the woman for being ###### just because she showed a little ankle...

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

Just now, Odynn said:

Like I say in the video. Our forums have fairly indepth security which we make sure to always work on after each attempted attack. However this direct attack against me and using my admin account to hack the forums and the virus which was deliberately used to infect Redd and attempted against myself and Ammaus (Which allowed the hacker to remotely control Redds PC) are targeted personal attacks not just our forums. Which means to me means it becomes infintely more serious. Because at a point the game no longer becomes worth playing. All of the metagaming taken out against myself and others close to me have just been a long line of escalating events. This time it was just my forum account that got hacked, what could happen next time? Hack my internet banking and steal my money? Access my Facebook account and steal my personal information and use it to potentially harm my friends and family?

After a point this no longer is a game and it jeopardises everything myself and my friends have in our RLs. With someone connected to this already going to the tourble of harrassing our players families it's really not at all worth it and I refuse to play with or against people that think that this kind of behavior is acceptable. 

• Like 10

Sounds like Chaos reset came after all. MR out of the way gives a reason/opportunity for the rest to fight over the rubble of the old empire. :)

• Like 1

You've always been one of the friendlier ones, Emoo. I really think if you just get out and past all of the drama, you'll find plenty of reason to continue playing Wurm.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, williamwierd said:

You've always been one of the friendlier ones, Emoo. I really think if you just get out and past all of the drama, you'll find plenty of reason to continue playing Wurm.

I think that's entirely possible, I'd love to be able to continue with the Fosters Brewery series :) 

Going as far as infecting personal computers with RATs (Remote Administration Tools, that's to say, viruses) over a damned game is just so far beyond acceptable that I sincerely hope that anyone participating in this finds themselves caught by the Authorities and serve time for it. I sincerely hope your lives are ruined by the criminal act that were perpetrated, and that justice will be served.

If you condone this attack with "your forum should have had better security", then I have to question your moral integrity to a severe degree! If you see an unlocked bike leaned against a wall, do you go "lol, you should have worked on your security" and take off with it? What does that make you?

I'm so disgusted by this. Go to jail. Do not pass go.

• Like 21

While I do not condone hacking in any form *read stop*. "ahem" This is the logical next step in the evolution of warfare on chaos, it was bound to happen. Chaos is all about bending the rules to get an advantage and there are very smart people there. When you have a server that looks for advantages by bending the rules, then things get very blurry in the supposed anonymity of the online world. All parties feel wronged and feel they have a "right" to avenge those wrongs by any means at their disposal. I don't for one minute condone what some of the folks in JK did in this hacking incident, nor do I condone some of the things MR has done on wild. Just because you "can" do something doesn't make it a good idea. But on wild, might makes right.

• Like 2