Sign in to follow this  
SinisterPrime

Lag Making The Game Dangerous To Play

After a long break I finally was able to return to Wurm only to discover after re-upping that the game lags so bad at time I am forced to restart the client just so it will update my location. I nearly died to a Troll simply because I could not fight it due to the lag. The cost of dying and dropping my gear is a really high price to pay for lag. I noticed a thread on the topic posted in Sept. but did not see anything hinting at a resolution to the problem, just that a server was likely down.

I understand that the game has suffered a bit of a hit on population, however lag like this will only further the exodus of players. I hate to use the term, but the game is nearly unplayable right now. Here are a few of the key issues the lag is causing to the playability of the game:

• Any vehicle you are on rarely faces the direction you are traveling.
  • Leaving a vehicle when the server is not updating your location often causes the vehicle to appear at one location but to actually be elsewhere. You must relog to see where it actually is located.
  • Fights are tricky when you lose control of the fight and have to hope auto fighting will kill the threat while you wait for the lag to cease.
  • When clicking on an object to access the available actions, you have to repeatedly click to get anything.
  • Gates often appear locked or blocked due to the server not opening them for you. This makes traveling a bit of a pain.

So by now you are thinking, "You are describing lag, we all know what lag is." and you are right. My attempt however is to really show how badly this is affecting the game play and how important it is to fix the issue. I love the game, but I am not a fan of paying for a game that I can not play.

Would love to hear from the devs on this, even if it is just a explanation of the problem and what the plans are to fix them.

Thanks for reading,

Sinister

• Like 1

Are you using the stable or unstable client? Unstable has a different version right now that they're still trying to iron the bugs and lag out of.

I will check on this when I get home, I just loaded up my old client and let it update. Thanks for the info :D

Lag involving vehicles has certainly been pretty bad on Xanadu lately, client issues aside. I've had many, many cases of vehicle orientation not updating for several seconds, a cart not being where the client thinks it is when I disembark, and similar issues.

^^^ Yes and Xanadu lag. If you have a lot of issues with it, lower settings and make sure you're using stable. The unstable is terrible for random disconnections right now.

Very easily. If you open the client it will tell you what you're running. The top of the screen will say unstable. Along with the icon on the desktop usually. And the unstable log in page is all fancy looking and different than the normal one.

Okay. The stable log in screen is just a plain gray log in. Like I said, if you had the unstable it would be all fancy looking and the lower left hand corner it says unstable. So if you have bad lag issues in your stable client, try to lower settings. Also, if possible run java 64 and make sure it's all up to date. It doesn't auto update like normal java so you have to keep going to update it manually.

I'm using the stable client, also my Java is updated, I checked it 3 hours ago. My graphics settings were always the same for the last 3 weeks (low and ugly), and I must say I had 30fps sometimes and the game ran smoothly,

but last 2 to 3 weeks I'm often having from 3 to 6 fps, so it becomes completely unplayable at times, and it freezes (0fps) very often.  Sadly I must totally agree with everything SinisterPrime and Ostentatio wrote, and if SinisterPrime wouldn't post about this huge problem, I certainly would. The game is dangerous to play with such lag, I don't want to lose my skills because of the lag either, and I experienced all the problems they did.

I would also love to hear from the devs on this, even if it is just an explanation of the problem and what the plans are to fix it.

Thank you!

Edited by Tovarishtito

For the last update (cooking) you have to run stable version.

I do experience an unusual amount of lag/freezes on deliverance as of two days ago.

We are not used to this situation on deli and atm it is dangerous to leave deed because if it.

I've had to use lower settings and still get lags/long response time

I never heard of anyone using the unstable client, does anyone even use it, and why would anyone use it?

Today I lost connection 4 times in 30 minutes, while I had a decent (for my personal criteria) 10fps. Luckily I was at a safe location, making bricks. I don't want that to happen to me while encountering monsters, and I don't know how I would deal with that if/when I would try a PVP server. Even if I was only making bricks, it's still very annoying, I had everything set up perfectly, all the windows I needed to work with, and  everytime I lost connection, I had to set it up again, and again, and again, and again.  

Yesterday, I was  sending goods trough the mailbox while I lost connection, so I missed the message that the goods were sent, mailbox was empty when I logged in again, and the recipient didn't get a message that the goods arrived yet.

So I panicked thinking that the stuff dissapeared, and called support, when the recipient told me that the goods arrived. So, nothing horrible (for now), but very unpleasant to experience.

The unstable client usually gets some stuff earlier. like newer models for example. (kind of like a test client) So if you want to see the fancy stuff before it gets to the stable client and without going to the test client, that's the way to go xD

Sad to hear you have lag issues.. I'm surprised I don't have any at the moment.
Did you check if Wurm is running with the x86 or the x64 java version? This helped a lot performance wise for me, especially with getting annoying disconnects. Did not have any since I made sure I only have the x64 one installed.

Sure, I have the x64 version, and only the x64 version. 

But I did notice, that the lag usually starts after many hours of playing for me (but not always).

Then logging out for the /lotime usually helps, (but again not always). I guess it's a Java issue, but I wouldn't  know.

Any explanations of my observations anyone?