Sign in to follow this  
GenSekiel

[RELEASED] Accelerated Forestry & Gardening (& Farming) 1.2

Thanks for finding this. Due to a mistaken assumption on my end, maple, walnut, and chestnut are excluded at the moment. That was not intended, so you'll get your sap. I have fixed it and will release a new version after some testing at the end of next week. If you want it now, I could build an untested intermediate version that should work.

Removed double post - forum was acting up.

Edited by GenSekiel

That's good to hear my friend, I will have to go get more maples, I may have cultivated an entire forest of willows in a day. Any way of accelerating the sprouting process?  I am using a test world to test the compatibility of the server mods I am using, though I will likely play the test world for some time, I plan to move this over into the map I am building. I will love seeing this in action.

• Like 1

The sprouting is just a growth stage. So repeatedly harvesting the sprout and making the tree grow again is all there is to it. You can reduce the time for tree growth in the properties file to accelerate the process.

I have an interesting question, could you make it so you can use salt to salt the earth, preventing or at least slow grass growth on a tile and if applied to plants or trees it shrivels them? It would be an interesting way of damaging the land instead of growing it. And yeah, found that out, heh.

Shriveling trees would be easy and preventing grass growth (or even spreading to certain tiles) would be possible, I think, at least for a while. But why would you want that?

Preventing grass from spreading into the farm fields.

Preventing tree/bush sprouts from killing flower fields.

In both these cases I'd prefer a zone influence thing over having to individually change tiles. For this mod the general idea is players do something to a tile to temporarily change it. For stopping grass or sprouts planting themselves it needs to be more permanent.

True. It should not be too difficult to maintain a list of protected rectangular zones, where certain parts of the polling mechanism would be blocked. There could be size dependent cost and a time limitation, even.

Updated to 0.9.9a, fixing maple, chestnut, and walnut trees not being fertilizable.

@NappyI tried reproducing what you described with CropMod and HarvestHelper, but so far everything seems to work as it should. Do you have any additional information on the issue?

Maybe, I'll look into it. Might be trickier, so it may take a while.

Thanks for taking a stab at it. I created a vineyard of grape trellises and a row of hops only to realize I didn't check to see if they could be fertilized. It is only me playing solo for now, and I can't leave Wurm running in the background most of the time, for various reasons, so waiting for trellises to be in season really isn't workable (the whole reason this mod is so awesome in the first place).

• Like 1

+1   for being able to fertilize trellises (grape, hop and rose).  Also could you add Pine (pine nuts) and Oak (acorns) to the fertilize table please?

Awesome mod.  Thank you very much for this.

56 minutes ago, Merendi said:

+1   for being able to fertilize trellises (grape, hop and rose).  Also could you add Pine (pine nuts) and Oak (acorns) to the fertilize table please?

A really nice QoL mod thank you - and yes +1 on the trellises and additions too!

3 hours ago, Merendi said:

+1 and thanks a lot for the mod!

I hear you. Here's the update for WU 1.3.1.3, adding fertilization of oaks and pines (oranges and hazelnut did work already), fertilization of trellises, and growth and fertilization of herb planters, which have to reach a certain age to be fertilizable.

Luckily, almost nothing was broken by the update and tracking items was easier than I initially thought.

Also, the Steam update messed up my WU installation... O_o

On 1/19/2017 at 3:46 PM, GenSekiel said:

Updated to 0.9.9a, fixing maple, chestnut, and walnut trees not being fertilizable.

@NappyI tried reproducing what you described with CropMod and HarvestHelper, but so far everything seems to work as it should. Do you have any additional information on the issue?

Sorry just saw this now. I currently have no servers running so unable to check again. May have been a conflict pre 1.3 with one of the approximately 59 mods that were running at the time.

People have been having some issues with watering on my server. I have seen it happen on my own deed and others have as well. 

Spoiler

[23:55:45] <Anastacia> Well, I had one plant that wasn't growing after I watered it and  for several days it was telling me it was recently watered
[23:56:11] <Anastacia> Then it started growing again and the lawn I kept cutting around it finally took
[23:56:28] <Anastacia> After that I tried to water another plant and nothing I tried would let me water it
[23:56:52] <Anastacia> I've watered several trees. All but one grew without issues and even let me water them again after a period.

Will update with more info as soon as I get it.

What does Anastacia mean by plant? A bush? If you are trying to grow a tree/bush and the grass around it on the same tile at the same time, that does not work currently; only one task per tile. As an experiment, you can set CheckIfPolled to false in the .properties file. That allows overwriting tasks, new tasks simply replace the old ones for a tile with new timestamp. With CheckIfPolled set to false a tree growing task will overwrite a tree-grass growing task or a fertilizing task for the tree or the ground and vice versa. With CheckIfPolled set to true you get the message telling you what other task is blocking the tile. Since it says "watered recently" that means the tree/bush has a watering task pending. If it says "ground was watered recently", however, that means watering of the ground around a tree blocked watering of the tree itself. I'll see if I change this behavior in a future release.

Otherwise it sounds like tasks get stuck in the poller (they shouldn't unless the timestamps are messed up). If you enable debug mode, examining a tile will give you information about the timestamps and the polling times if there is a task listed for this tile (StatusOnExamine has to be set to true, but that's the default). That should show if there is something messed up. Negative times for remaining task time are okay though, the poll might occur long after the task time is up. If your server was shut down in between, there might be an issue with the timestamps when loading the task list. I can separate the extended examine info from the rest of the debug mode if you don't want to enable full debug on your server (there's some cheaty stuff in there to ease debugging).

You can also try radically decreasing PollInterval and BaseTaskTime for rapid growth and see if you can reproduce the issue. It might have to do with multiple people placing tasks though. I assume there should be nothing worth noting in the log file, but have a look anyway, just to be sure.

Did this occur also with earlier versions or does it only happen with the latest?

Thanks for gathering more info on this.

For some reason, my properties file was missing from the mods folder. I added it back in and will see what happens in the next day or two. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for letting me know, I'm not really up to date lately. I'll get an update out. Please let me know if anything else needs updating.

Update to WU 1.4.0.1 and Ago's Mod Launcher 0.26.3.

• Watering trellises makes them age.
  • Fertilizing trellises is only possible when matured.

There does not seem to be a visual age indicator for trellises, watering them four times should bring them to fertilizable age. Ivy trellises can be watered although they can not be fertilized.

Does this mod also allow you to slow down the tree growth/spread rate?

Currently not, but it is technically possible to prevent growth and its side effects. This mod can prevent server triggered growth for the duration of a task, but only does so for tiles which have been watered or fertilized and if the corresponding option is activated. As has been mentioned previously there might be some benefit in applying this to larger areas. If you want to prevent growth for few single tiles, I might add a task to salt the earth which could prevent growth for some time. If you are trying to prevent growth in larger areas, it would be more efficient to handle the regions differently. Also, with the current mechanic this would not stop the spreading of grass or trees from nearby tiles into the protected tiles. That would require more modifications to the server code. All in all that might be a job for a separate mod.