Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

Readable Signs

This may have been requested before (and I know many players are waiting for it) - and it already was present in the unstable client at some time. However it never appeared in the live version of WO, while it is available in WU.

Please make text on signs visible!

It must be possible (and I didn't see any problems so far), as can be seen by these two screenshots from WU:

koG5U9R.jpg    kbmhCHA.jpg

This will add a lot more realism to the game.

• Like 7

I hope we can chose the font type and size. I'm not the biggest fan of what I see on the screenshot.

• Like 6

Still exists on test... and yes selectable font and point size, especially Comic Sans :ph34r:

• Like 2

IMO comic sans should be banned from freedom, but allowed on chaos where there will be incentive to vandalize deeds with such monstrosity!:rolleyes:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bittereinder said:

I hope we can chose the font type and size. I'm not the biggest fan of what I see on the screenshot.

Oh come on. It may not be the font of our dreams but it's still better than what we have now, right? ;)

And: can we please come back to the suggestion and not derail the thread into a discussion about what fonts you like or dislike. Pretty please?

• Like 1

When you make the sign "Fantastic" it glows and you can read it a lot easier. You can see this on my WU server when I open it to the public soon.

Mmm personally what fonts should be visible on the sign is pretty pertinent.

I suppose as a middle ground having it display as whatever the user want as per settings on their own client.

Unfortunately that does kind of take away from whatever design aesthetic the placer might have.

11 minutes ago, Klaa said:

Mmm personally what fonts should be visible on the sign is pretty pertinent.

I suppose as a middle ground having it display as whatever the user want as per settings on their own client.

Unfortunately that does kind of take away from whatever design aesthetic the placer might have.

Do you want Functionality or Aesthetics? If you only want signs to be functional, I would say just make the text Arial or something everybody can agree on like TNR or Georgia.

If you want Aesthetics, you'd have to figure out how you can allow people to select a font (perhaps dropping a desired font file into their game directory?) but then you would also have to figure out how to display it to other people, if it only displayed for the spoken client, and if it does display for other people there is the chance that it might be some strange font that either detracts or adds to the game or cannot be read clearly (like some Cursive font or Ye Olde English). Figuring out how to display someones client based font to others is the tricky part.

Unless its a standardized system font that all computers have, there would have to be some send-receive or streaming of the client font to others.

Edited by Roushi

Its been on test for years now. Curious what's holding it up, if anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klaa said:

Its been on test for years now. Curious what's holding it up, if anything.

Last time when Darkfilo introduced them to the game (around the same time the friends list was removed from the escape menu and we got that dockable one that always derps up) they had texture errors that kept filling up the RAM until clients crashed. I'd guess that's what's what was holding it up, at least initially.

Plus they never figured out how to handle letters that became out of bounds due to size vs. sign QL.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Aeris said:

Last time when Darkfilo introduced them to the game (around the same time the friends list was removed from the escape menu and we got that dockable one that always derps up) they had texture errors that kept filling up the RAM until clients crashed. I'd guess that's what's what was holding it up, at least initially.

Plus they never figured out how to handle letters that became out of bounds due to size vs. sign QL.

So, why does it work in WU then? :o

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yaga said:

So, why does it work in WU then? :o

Who knows? My guesses though are:
a.) Someone else worked on them in WU that had no relation to the WO team,

b.) The reason it's being put on hold for WO has changed from its initial reason,

c.) It's still buggy but not noticable without the server item count of WO, or

d.) They forgot about them

Perhaps a dev will enlighten us about it. :P But last time I saw the signs (which was on the live WO servers) they were nowhere near functional

• Like 1

Ah as I recall it they were only in for a day or two.

+1 to OP suggestion

• Like 2

Unless you can cook it they don't want to know ^_^ Mmmm edible signs...  

f743b1e33d421d20e7d01cad325444a8.jpg

+1 I always preferred being able to read a sign from a distance without having to mouse over it. this would be a decent idea.

+1 it would be so nice, and I agree it adds to a realistic kind of feeling of the game world.

On 11/11/2016 at 6:09 AM, Klaa said:

Still exists on test... and yes selectable font and point size, especially Comic Sans :ph34r:

I seen it on test as well, why can't we have this!