Sign in to follow this  
Pardigan

Fatigue system needs to be looked at

I do think it's hard to track macros...like as example the "timestamp" might not help at all if someone is making macros with randomness in them....
macros are also the reason why the rightclick menu items were always changing their positions in the list, to make it more difficult for macro users to find with mousepositions where mouse would need to click....
and then there is fatique....although i have to say that in my opinion sleeping 8 hours a day should be enough time to reset fatique.

If wurm wouldn't be so grindheavy and prone to people using macros(because game is slow and in many ways competitive for some) than macros wouldn't really be a problem, but they ARE a problem, also since some people make rl money with their ingame skills. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pardigan said:

So basically choose a different game?

Ahh, the peculiar and mysterious Fatigue issue. I first really learned a bit about this when Pingpong mentioned the obstruction to his goal of hitting 100.00 mining it had become. A pretty weird concept I had thought, to set some standard whereby the game creator would prevent players from playing the game further, even within the ToS and rules of legal gameplay.

Now after reading some of the responses here it seems that Ping was not so unique after all in his mining obsession leading to this predicament. Myself, I had never run across this issue other than at times seeing a "feeling refreshed" message which somehow related to it. Yet rather than choosing a different game you might take some tips here and just adjust your gameplay to avoid the weird Fatigueness. That's really the best you can do to fight the establishment under this circumstance, since you will otherwise loose out on what can be an enjoyable experience of refreshment.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Some of my posts in this and other topics were censored/or trimmed/ by mods without any indication for that, I do not stand behind the remaining words.
I'll politely ask you to skip this post and not read it, as whatever words and thought have been spared are not what I had to say.

Spoiler
On 11/10/2016 at 5:20 PM, elroth said:

fatigue timer is when you grind fight skill or cooking..

Um.. no:huh:, it's that http://www.wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php/Fatigue :mellow:

Edited by Finnn

Yeah just had it done to me too,what a terrible idea to be forced to take a break  seriously   is this wurm Nazi edition or something ? i have been to the butchers and shops in real life and i still hit cap ,perhaps Rolf can come  feed me  tuck me in to bed and read me a story FFS

And the oh you can do other things whilst you wait ...so i can  still do things  without fatigue limit ?? what about my safety??? i though Rolf cared ...Hypocrisy increased by 0.0106 to 91.1341

Edited by Toecutter

On 10/11/2016 at 5:54 AM, Miretta said:

I do think it's hard to track macros...like as example the "timestamp" might not help at all if someone is making macros with randomness in them....
macros are also the reason why the rightclick menu items were always changing their positions in the list, to make it more difficult for macro users to find with mousepositions where mouse would need to click....
and then there is fatique....although i have to say that in my opinion sleeping 8 hours a day should be enough time to reset fatique.

If wurm wouldn't be so grindheavy and prone to people using macros(because game is slow and in many ways competitive for some) than macros wouldn't really be a problem, but they ARE a problem, also since some people make rl money with their ingame skills. 

I wonder if games like call of duty limit people to  how many people they kill because people cheat with wall hacks and aimbots ..no i don't think they limit their game to effect the majority because of a minority.

• Like 3

Out of curiosity, what specifically are you doing to hit the fatigue limits?  I've never managed to get even close myself, and I'm interested.  You mentioned shipbuilding, are you sitting with a huge stack of parts on hand, with an in-progress ship in the crafting window, and just clicking 'build' continuously for 18 hours straight?

5 hours ago, Wonka said:

Out of curiosity, what specifically are you doing to hit the fatigue limits?  I've never managed to get even close myself, and I'm interested.  You mentioned shipbuilding, are you sitting with a huge stack of parts on hand, with an in-progress ship in the crafting window, and just clicking 'build' continuously for 18 hours straight?

it doesnt matter what you do. thats why the whole system is stupid. i was below 1hr again the other day and it took me one day of mostly sleeping and one day of hunting to get to a point where i could say its ok to grind again without the danger of being completely ***. because no, you can't even push stuff around on your deed when out of fatigue. or repair stuff for general deed maintenance. or butcher corpses while hunting.

as for what i did to get there? hm. grinding lw. Sure, it might have had a bit of an effect that my char got eaten by the void and it took half a day to get him fixed by a dev so i basically went straight from grinding phase to grinding phase without the usual night of fatigue refill. but it was not the first time and will definitely not the last time i will be out of fatigue or very close to that.

what i would at least like to see is a faster refill when logged off. maybe even in a bed only? not the usual 3 hrs refill 1 hr stuff but maybe closer to 1.5 hrs refill 1 hr.

It clearly matters what you do.  I've spent straight 10-12 hour days, grinding for several days straight and not hit the fatigue timer.  As have others here.  Hence my question about the specifics of what you did to hit it, if for no other reason than I'd like to be able to plan my holiday grinds without tripping over this.

I don't understand how you even get close. If you keep a barrel with food and water to keep replenished, you always have full action timers and never get fatigue. New cooking system even lets you keep bars fuller longer with meals like bangers and mash. Food and water stay full longer and stamina drains slower. I mine or dig or do whatever for hours and never get fatigue. It's a game you have to drink and eat in. If you don't do that then you will have consequences. 

• Like 1

I built 2 rowboats, 2 sailboats, 1 corb, 2 cogs, 3 knarrs, 1 caravel over the life of my character...and I never once hit fatigue cap and I play 'extremely unhealthy amounts of time'. So I don't know what you're doing that I'm not, but I don't see a problem with that system.

• Like 1

Fatigue does seem strange sometimes.

I think it's digging, but there's times when I'm doing something that should normally be back-breaking work and it suddenly says "you now feel rested" (or some such)

Wogic.  I can't really make heads or tails of it.

I've never hit a fatigue wall of any kind.  Wurm has such a crazy variety of things to do in one play session.  I don't have an alt, I just do a lot of different things at a time when I play and it seems to even out.

I also do tend to eat a lot too though.

31 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

Fatigue does seem strange sometimes.

I think it's digging, but there's times when I'm doing something that should normally be back-breaking work and it suddenly says "you now feel rested" (or some such)

Wogic.  I can't really make heads or tails of it.

I've never hit a fatigue wall of any kind.  Wurm has such a crazy variety of things to do in one play session.  I don't have an alt, I just do a lot of different things at a time when I play and it seems to even out.

I also do tend to eat a lot too though.

you get that message every 3 hours no matter what youre doing (wurmpedia says 2? but im pretty sure its 3)

when you get that message you get 1 hour more of fatigue. if you had 10 fatigue then youll have 11 after the

message. Tasks like leveling that take long timers will suck up fatigue like nobodys business, also qeueing

with long timers. using short timers (botd. or woa) will use almost no fatigue. theres activities like fighting that

use no timer and therefore no fatigue.

Also theres a spell that gives you some fatigue time replenishment,but in my experience wasnt worth it because

it gave way too little fatigue for the cost and cooldown, but others may have found more efficient ways of using it.

I never had problems with running out of fatigue, but a few times got low and just did something else.

As i understand theres also another thing called battle fatigue used for some spells, but its totally unrelated

and im not familiar with it. just mention it because one time i remember someone being confused between the 2.

I agree with op and think fatigue system is totally unnecessary. i was polled by gms a very few times for macroing,

and it didnt seem that fatigue was a factor for they polling me. maybe its been a factor for others i dont know, but if you run out

you cant do the activity anyway so. Getting too hungry message to do anything or ammount of actions in a period

of time seem to me better sysems and what i suspect they already use. Also no movement for extended periods while

doing actions could work. 

Fatigue for macroing prevention i think is just an excuse to keep the system.

edit. ive seen many people in twitch build stuff wit no stamina, thats an easy way to run out of fatigue fast.

Edited by Griffith
  • Like 1

It's simply about your effectiveness. If you queue new actions asap, the game punishes you for being a good player.

• Like 1

I hit fatigue once and was not happy. I look back at it now and I realized I probably needed a break. This feature might actually save the life of a irresponsible gamer. Also I'm sure that system is there to prevent botting of any type.

4 hours ago, Griffith said:

you get that message every 3 hours no matter what youre doing (wurmpedia says 2? but im pretty sure its 3)

when you get that message you get 1 hour more of fatigue. if you had 10 fatigue then youll have 11 after the

message. Tasks like leveling that take long timers will suck up fatigue like nobodys business, also qeueing

with long timers. using short timers (botd. or woa) will use almost no fatigue. theres activities like fighting that

use no timer and therefore no fatigue.

Also theres a spell that gives you some fatigue time replenishment,but in my experience wasnt worth it because

it gave way too little fatigue for the cost and cooldown, but others may have found more efficient ways of using it.

I never had problems with running out of fatigue, but a few times got low and just did something else.

As i understand theres also another thing called battle fatigue used for some spells, but its totally unrelated

and im not familiar with it. just mention it because one time i remember someone being confused between the 2.

I agree with op and think fatigue system is totally unnecessary. i was polled by gms a very few times for macroing,

and it didnt seem that fatigue was a factor for they polling me. maybe its been a factor for others i dont know, but if you run out

you cant do the activity anyway so. Getting too hungry message to do anything or ammount of actions in a period

of time seem to me better sysems and what i suspect they already use. Also no movement for extended periods while

doing actions could work. 

Fatigue for macroing prevention i think is just an excuse to keep the system.

edit. ive seen many people in twitch build stuff wit no stamina, thats an easy way to run out of fatigue fast.

aah, thank you very much for that explanation!

To me, I do feel fatigue is a small price to pay to avoid a flood of macroers, but that's easier for me to say as I've never been held back by fatigue.

****************************************************************************************************************************

If it is there to force people to take a break, then good lord let people take ownership of their poor health... and give them a Darwin award if they die by computer game.

I don't see how that can be true though since it's entirely possible to keep playing even when fatigued, right?  Just have limitations on what you can do.

Not saying those limitations should be there and aren't annoying, just saying they're not there to make people take a break.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, luvable said:

I don't understand how you even get close. If you keep a barrel with food and water to keep replenished, you always have full action timers and never get fatigue. New cooking system even lets you keep bars fuller longer with meals like bangers and mash. Food and water stay full longer and stamina drains slower. I mine or dig or do whatever for hours and never get fatigue. It's a game you have to drink and eat in. If you don't do that then you will have consequences. 

I think it's easy if you are using a skillers pickaxe when mining i keep hydrated i kept full of food i never waste time on an action because i am too lazy to keep food and water up.

Edited by Toecutter

I hit fatigue  first time when i was mining to 90 at 89.3805 then took a long break with sleep the hit fatigue again at 89.9895 then i waited  over 3 hours again then  got title and 90 mining 4 hits later. that's a pretty  silly system.

19 hours ago, Wonka said:

Mining from 79-90 i did it finally after numerous fatigue stops  but it was over four days.

I'm in the "I have no idea how to run out of fatigue" camp. Back when i was playing WO i grinded to 90 mining while watching GoT and finished the first 2 seasons in a couple of days (so it was easily 12+ hours a day :P) and still didn't run out.

I did run out once on my priest by spamming prayers for hours, but i think that was a but where pray would consume a lot more fatigue time than it's nominal timer, and i think that was fixed at some point. Also people getting macro-checked was pretty common in our sermon group, so that might be related as well.

• Like 1

I used to hit fatigue a lot when I started playing, trying to get to 20 fs on the practice doll.

When I do play, I play a lot as well, because I have the time to do so.

On 11/9/2016 at 0:42 PM, Raybarg said:

- The weird dialog asking "What is wet?" and I had to choose from "Water", "Rock", "Dream" or something like that.

I do also remember quite a long time ago, getting a strange popup dialogue that asked a math question iirc. It was strange, and at the time I did pay it no mind. But I don't think it's automated, so it had to be a GM checking if I was macro'ing or actually playing.

Wurm used to be a game that strongly catered towards making it more difficulty for people who use unfair measures to get ahead, than to people who play the game proper and honest. Quality of life improvements like the plentiful keybinds we have now, or the crafting window, have taken a veeeeeeeeery long time to come around. A shame really.

As for fatigue... really depends on your playstyle. As a hermit, if you have to do everything by yourself, and you do things in moderation, you'll rarely run into fatigue issues. I'm settled for good though, so if you grab a large amphora with water and 2x64 kg of clay, you can burn through fatigue imping pottery easily for example. I know quite a few people who run out of fatigue, but they have other toons. Mining, fishing, imping, if all you do is stay in one place and perform action timers, it'll happen. It's nothing to be proud of tbh, it's the most atrociously dull part of this game. But if you're lucky you have a lot of YouTube videos to catch up on, or follow streamers around the world, or have a job you can queue up 5 mining actions every 2 minutes, or people in voice chat to talk to, or whatever.

I'm not surprised if people on Xanadu never run out of fatigue, because half their time playing, they have to stop doing anything (including moving) to regain stamina, since the tick lag issue was never fixed :rolleyes: (could not resist, also... wet dream, really?)

Edited by Ulviirala
Reason for edit: (salt)
  • Like 1

FYI: I was in a village with Pardigan. He quit long time ago after his fatigue issues and certain game difficulties.

23 hours ago, luvable said:

I take it, you're not familiar with the game mechanic.

Fatigue is an amount of time, that you can perform most of the action timers with. You regain it slower than actual real time passed, so if you do a lot of actions that drain it, you eventually run out. And the mechanic prevents you from performing any actions that drain fatigue. It has nothing to do with food, water, or stamina. It's what the "You feel rested" event message is about, and when you check typing the /fatigue command in chat.

• Like 1