Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

W.S.A. – Exploitables (or the fluffy stuff in the middle that needs more tweaking)

WSA.png

We are well aware that we have a lot of very creative individuals among us, and sometimes something interesting is discovered that needs to be fixed right away.  Unfortunately, some people think it is okay not to report these anomalous situations that can be exploited for their own gains.  [Read More…]

I appreciate the clamp down on stuff like this, but almost died a little inside to this excuse I caught in the middle of that.

"Mechanics abuse means we spend more time running around after abusers like babysitting toddlers rather than devoting our time to PVP improvements."

It makes me boil inside for you to pretend the few exploits(no matter how bad they turn out to be) that had to be dealt with caused the complete and total lack of balance on PVP servers you guys have displayed over the last 2 years or the continued lack of any support beyond moderation for us we see to this day.

Most times these exploits are reported and stay in the game for so long people don't even realize it's not a feature anymore... Only to be fixed when enough people are abusing it to cause you guys to be forced to fix it.

You would think when our server went from hundreds of players at off times, to less than 100 at peak hours it might actually make you guys realize you need to do something and stop sitting back ignoring the problem pretending it will go away on its own...  But no here we are a year later and nothing but a few minor changes that took months to be put live that didn't do much and nothing since not even in the roadmap put forward we didn't even manage a mention thanks.

Edited by Darklords
  • Like 5

eventually with game breaking mechanics the only way to get them fixed is to abuse it, sadly

takes many months, sometimes years to get even the smallest ones looked at and by then a lot of people consider them features only to have newer players get it ripped out from under them.

that comment about fixing pvp really triggered me too.

nobody cared about fixing pvp when dozens of people exploited to 90 fightskill

nobody cared about fixing pvp when dozens of people were exploiting their butchering

nobody cared about fixing pvp when dozens of people were exploiting their meditating

nobody cared about fixing pvp when two or three people were exploiting body control (resulting in a blanket nerf on EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the server who had above x amount of BC and christ that made so many people drop wurm entirely)

nobody cared about fixing pvp when people were building their deeds with duplicated materials

nobody cared about fixing pvp when people were blatantly abusing influence bugs to drop deeds in land they shouldnt have been able to drop deeds in

i could go on with this for hours, the best part is 99% of the time there is no punishment when skills are involved, and most of the time there is no reward regardless of what you report if you don't go out of your way to get it (as in asking many people, constantly bringing it up, basically begging for it.)

inconsistent rewards + screwed players = players who will exploit non gamebreaking bugs before they report it as their own reward.

Is it a problem? Yes

Could it be easily fixed? Yes

How would i fix it? Clearly advertise the rewards for reporting each tier of bug, and clearly state the process for reward retrieval.

Give it a few bugs and a lot of people would change their tune quickly. I know for a fact, speaking as a person who already has that shady reputation, i would move mountains to report bugs and test stuff and clearly document what i find if i knew there was a reward for doing so, doesn't even have to be anything special, just something, like even general acknowledgement so you can say "yeah i helped fix that" would go a long way.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 3

A lot of time is spend addressing bugs and exploits that could be spent working on improvements.

Also, major improvements and changes have to take into account how they could be abused, so this does actually slow development.

Our goal at the moment is to address bugs and mechanics issues before taking major steps forward, I know it's not glamorous and doesn't bring players in by the hundreds, but it does mean that we can ensure that we're building on a better foundation than the one that's been there in the past.

11 minutes ago, Propheteer said:

Is it a problem? Yes

Could it be easily fixed? Yes

How would i fix it? Clearly advertise the rewards for reporting each tier of bug, and clearly state the process for reward retrieval.

Give it a few bugs and a lot of people would change their tune quickly.

That's currently in the plans, I'm working on an updated and more meaningful reward system to be publicly available.

Along with that will be a system where we can provide rewards for reporting bugs that can be reproduced that aren't exploits, yet impact gameplay.

• Like 2