Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

hotfix: 1/11/16

• Fountain pan timers have been extended to accommodate time for switching to other storage option in next update.
  • Restart to correct kingdom influence bug on Chaos

I may have missed the specifics, while I was away... what is the "other storage option"?  This has me very interested.

The ability to store liquids decay free, and the removal of on deed decay for decoration items on deeds with over 30 days upkeep will be coming in the next update

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

decoration items

Does that include BSB's and FSB's?

I'm just curious what the no decay on decorations has to do with fountain containers considering decorations are displayed not stored?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MrGARY said:

I'm just curious what the no decay on decorations has to do with fountain containers considering decorations are displayed not stored?

I was under the impression that the new runes covered the 'other storage' bit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrGARY said:

The removal of decay on decorations, ability to store liquids decay free, and the new runes are what's going to replace those god awful fountain pans.

Edited by Budzilla

3 hours ago, Budzilla said:

The removal of decay on decorations, ability to store liquids decay free, and the new runes are what's going to replace those god awful fountain pans.

decorations don't get stored like I just said so again just wondering what they have to do with fountains

• Like 1

It's possible the definition of "decorations" here is broad enough to include some things you can pick up and place in a container, like large anvils. The rule of thumb Retrograde gave originally was "things that don't form a pile on the ground", but also said that's subject to change and the exact details will be posted later.

Edited by Ostentatio

Rare/supreme tools, valuable armor, enchanted mats (e.g. stuff with CoC or WoA casts), eggs, pelts, better storage options for high ql ores/logs/dye making mats, glimmer, serryl and adamantine (afik putting these in bsb has an unfixed bug where the ore goes in at a certain weight and when you remove it, it comes out with a lower weight), stuff you don't want to average out in bsbs (like ores with incremental changes, flowers, etc.)  I really hope these things will get some attention regarding storage and decay.  

Just now, Fairyshine said:

Rare/supreme tools, valuable armor, enchanted mats (e.g. stuff with CoC or WoA casts), eggs, pelts, better storage options for high ql ores/logs/dye making mats, glimmer, serryl and adamantine (afik putting these in bsb has an unfixed bug where the ore goes in at a certain weight and when you remove it, it comes out with a lower weight), stuff you don't want to average out in bsbs (like ores with incremental changes, flowers, etc.)  I really hope these things will get some attention regarding storage and decay.  

That's what a large magic chest and bulk storage bins are for. QL averaging is the payoff for no decay no volume loss storage.

I don't think I will be buying any large magical chests any time soon.  I was under the impression that things were going to be provided to players that would not cost money, but instead could be crafted or created by everyone, to replace the functionality of the fountain pans.  It is true liquid storing has now been addressed.  However, most other things have not been addressed, namely:  Storing rare and supreme tools without decay, storing valuable armor, storing enchanted materials (mats with woa or coc), storing valuable ores like serryl, ada and glimmer, storing high ql stuff you don't want averaged out in bsbs, storing special items like items no longer available in game...none of these things have been addressed.  Suggesting people just go purchase an item for 50 silver is not addressing the issue. 

Lastly, I don't know how no volume loss inside bsb's relate to QL averaging, as QL has always been averaged for years before the no volume loss came into effect.

3 minutes ago, Fairyshine said:

I don't think I will be buying any large magical chests any time soon.  I was under the impression that things were going to be provided to players that would not cost money, but instead could be crafted or created by everyone, to replace the functionality of the fountain pans.  It is true liquid storing has now been addressed.  However, most other things have not been addressed, namely:  Storing rare and supreme tools without decay, storing valuable armor, storing enchanted materials (mats with woa or coc), storing valuable ores like serryl, ada and glimmer, storing high ql stuff you don't want averaged out in bsbs, storing special items like items no longer available in game...none of these things have been addressed.  Suggesting people just go purchase an item for 50 silver is not addressing the issue. 

Lastly, I don't know how no volume loss inside bsb's relate to QL averaging, as QL has always been averaged for years before the no volume loss came into effect.

It's been mentioned numerous times by staff that there was not an intention to replace the "store tons of gigantic things inside of a tiny container" "functionality" of fountain pans. If you thought this was going to happen, that is entirely on you at this point.

I apologize that you don't get a free alternative to an expensive bugged item.

Seriously though, most of the stuff you mentioned, like enchanted lumps and rare tools, already fit pretty well into a large magical chest, and even with a fountain pan still required a large magical chest to be stored decay-free. Lumps are pretty tiny, for example, as are most enchanted materials, and the chests fit a fair number of tools in them. Just not as many as a freaking fountain.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

It's been mentioned numerous times by staff that there was not an intention to replace the "store tons of gigantic things inside of a tiny container" "functionality" of fountain pans. If you thought this was going to happen, that is entirely on you at this point.

I apologize that you don't get a free alternative to an expensive bugged item.

Seriously though, most of the stuff you mentioned, like enchanted lumps and rare tools, already fit pretty well into a large magical chest, and even with a fountain pan still required a large magical chest to be stored decay-free. Lumps are pretty tiny, for example, as are most enchanted materials, and the chests fit a fair number of tools in them. Just not as many as a freaking fountain.

I did not say replacing tons of storage.  I said: Storage options for items like these.  

Edit:    I would like to see storage options that is available to every player to create them, not to a few who can go purchase this item.

Edited by Fairyshine

I'm not really sure what you mean. You say you don't mean replacing tons of storage, but "tons of storage" is the one and only purpose of fountain pans.

Except for magical chests, is there any other storage method (except logging an army of alts every time you want to do something) for enchanted materials?  For rare weapons?  For special pieces or armor and armor sets?  For rare tools?  For flowers someone gave you and you want to keep names and separate from the rest of the tens of thousands of flowers in your bsbs?  For incremental ores?  For glimmer or addy or serryll lumps?  I was under the impression players would get different ways to store said items which can be crafted/created in game, not be told to go buy magical chests.  Our banks have a very limited amount of spots, we can't wrap stuff, and there are no items we can create to store all of these items safely.  As you can see, tons of storage is not the only purpose of fountain pans.

Edited by Fairyshine

I really don't understand what you're saying. Fountain pans, by themselves, do not prevent decay on items. The only way they help prevent decay on items is by storing them on an alt (which would be weight-limited) or inside a magical chest, both of which are still options. The only thing you lose is the TARDIS-like spatial expansion that the fountain pan gives you... but you're saying it's not about expanded capacity?

For very small items like flowers or lumps, I would suggest using small containers within wherever you're currently using to prevent decay.

Edited by Ostentatio

Uh, storing rares has always been available via merchants/alts/lmc's/smc's for damage avoidance, fountain pans never prevented decay in the slightest.

• Like 3

If you want to store items but accept decay, GET A  WOODEN CHEST. armor? ARMOR STAND. weapons? WEAPON STAND. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Retrograde said:

That's what a large magic chest and bulk storage bins are for. QL averaging is the payoff for no decay no volume loss storage.

That's what a large magic chest ( payout) and bulk storage bins are for. QL averaging and loss of weight is the payoff for no decay no volume loss storage.

37.5s or 10s for a merchant, after all the years of being nickled and dimed, ( deed upkeep, premium, storage ) I'm not sure I see the value thesedays, I'm guessing the solution is we all empty our wallets.

What's fair is fair I guess, we had a free lunch and it's over, but moving forward and adding a ###### ton of recipes and a continual cycle of new items to create that clog the data base ( so we need decay and bsb's ) but for a fee we can protect items.

I still think the million dollar question is why Deed upkeep does nothing more than reserve tiles and prevent fence and structure decay.

FIFY

7 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

I really don't understand what you're saying. Fountain pans, by themselves, do not prevent decay on items. The only way they help prevent decay on items is by storing them on an alt (which would be weight-limited) or inside a magical chest, both of which are still options. The only thing you lose is the TARDIS-like spatial expansion that the fountain pan gives you... but you're saying it's not about expanded capacity?

For very small items like flowers or lumps, I would suggest using small containers within wherever you're currently using to prevent decay.

Yes, I agree with this, pans themselves don't stop decay.  However, what I am trying to say is that with one fountain pan in one magical chest you could store stuff we wanted to keep out of the decay cycle or out of the current averaging ql (and previous continual volume loss) cycles. Yes, we can build and plant ten bsbs to keep the ores separate, then open them one by one to get the right ores, so several mouse clicks further every time.  Yes, we can have ten or fifty fsbs to keep different ql meats and corn and whatever else separated.  Yes, we can buy a merchant or ten or prem up some alts and store stuff in them, so mouse click trade click and drag, click into accept box, and if you use an alt, click over to your main and click in accept box again, and at the end when you are done with said items repeat mouse clicks drag mouse clicks process again...these are all work-arounds which can be used to store the stuff in the pans, so yes, I agree with what you are saying.  There are other ways of storing stuff.  These ways are just a pita to use, and in most cases, won't at all make the data bases smaller, in fact, it will increase the amounts of data to be kept as more storage containers/merchants/alts now have to be tracked as well.  It will also increase mouse click activity and lessen fun factor for players.

The question is why we should make the ten bsbs and ten fsbs to clutter our houses, or buy several merchants or create several once premmed alts?  As rightly pointed out several times now, the huge amount of stuff currently stored in fountain pans will still  be taking up memory in the system in some capacity, if we move these items to other storage units like ten different bsbs or ten fsbs, or ten containers for liquid, or ten merchants.  Not to mention, using merchants (and alts, for that matter) to store a lot of items is essentially also a glitch, just like the magical chests were.  Especially merchants - as these were created to SELL stuff, not stand around being a storage cupboard for a player.   Will these also be changed some time in the future as they are not being used "as intended"?  

These matters are open for discussion as always, and people can say "Yes but you can use this work around or that one or just accept decay and be done with it."  By the same token, someone can say "Please consider creating ways for players to have no decay on these items currently stored in the fountain pans, which will be accessible to all players, not just those who can afford magical chests, merchants or premmed alts."  This last part is what I thought was what the devs said, that there would be free and player created options for the stuff currently stored inside the chests and pans.  Suggesting players go buy more chests or merchants only brings back the same problems, as those who can afford it, will do so, and have more than those who can't afford it, bringing resentment and division.

Sign in to follow this