Sign in to follow this  
Madt

Happy Halloween

Have a spooktacular Halloween !

Just wanted to share with my fellow Wurmians one of my old art works that I turned into card. Enjoy ! :P

lrO8qPU.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LorenaMontana said:

American nonsense ;)

The roots are celtic (irish).

• Like 1

I learnt in my 20's, when i was learning about such things, that the Day of the Dead (when our two worlds are closest together) used to be in August.
the Chinese (Buddhist and Taoist) have a similar holiday, they call it (hungry) Ghost Festival and it is, most often, also in August.

When the catholic church came to Spain South America, they moved the Aztec Day the of the Dead to conform with the catholic All Saints Day. (nov 1) and so Halloween got its theme. 
unfortunately the date's pagan origin isn't Samhain, if anything it was during Lammas. 
light a candle? you'd need a bonfire.. thankfully Guy Fawkes gave us habitual means to draw our ancestors as effectively as a candle in August. 

the Chinese, still recognize the cosmic origin of this day and haven't changed the date, afterall how could a human control the oscillation of dimensions, how could a human decide when the styx is at its narrowest. such a thing is the height of arrogance. like imagining the earth is the center of the universe..

but it IS just a bit of fun isn't it. 
if i'm horribly wrong on any of these points, please correct me but check yourself first. 

Happy Halloween. 

Edited by Steveleeb
correction - latin america

Weird little factoid: The day of Halloween, Oct 31st, is also the same date as a certain holiday that Nevada on the whole takes seriously. Its even a public holiday. The times it conflicted with Halloween, some municipalities moved the Halloween observances instead...

Its called Nevada Day.

Basically it commemorates when Nevada became a state in 1864 and joined the United States... Indeed, that's some scary stuff. :D

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sirene said:

The roots are celtic (irish).

Lol didnt know this, another thing learned. 

We dont have this in Holland so not familiar at all with it lol

12 hours ago, Klaa said:

Weird little factoid: The day of Halloween, Oct 31st, is also the same date as a certain holiday that Nevada on the whole takes seriously. Its even a public holiday. The times it conflicted with Halloween, some municipalities moved the Halloween observances instead...

Its called Nevada Day.

Basically it commemorates when Nevada became a state in 1864 and joined the United States... Indeed, that's some scary stuff. :D

Tell me about it... LOL Just noticed you are from Vegas too :)

Well, I am originally from Europe and it took me awhile to adapt to all those new to me traditions, holidays and cultural changes, some of them scary indeed... and Halloween one of them which I personally do not celebrate , same as I don't like horror genre but being artist it gave me opportunity to explore my creative spark from decorating my house to creating some interesting art which is quite popular not only in US but all over the world. The result is pretty cool - series of new art works in horror genre which is something that I don't like , I prefer magical realism and conceptual art and I celebrate holidays that celebrate life and not death.