Sign in to follow this  
Gaffer

Grand Conjunction of 1601 Dancers III Wurm

Those among us who care about things celestial will be treated to a grand conjunction of Wurm's three largest moons in the near future.  For quite a while now I have been studying the motions of the moons to discover the principles of their motions.  I now have sufficiently accurate estimates of the orbital planes to be able to predict their positions with reasonable accuracy.  So I am pleased to be able to alert sky gazers of an interesting conjunction of the moons in the hours surrounding day of the Wurm in week 3 of the starfall of Dancers in the year 1061, which is coming up in less than one Terrestrial week!  I put together a graphic showing more or less what to expect here on Google Drawings (sharing now enabled).

In Wurm just like in real life all of the really interesting astronomical events happen when the weather is overcast.  So I am making an additional prediction of rain or fog at the same time :-/

Edited by Gaffer
  • Like 9

Looks like your drawing requires access permission, sadly...

This is neat, tho, and I'll definately keep an eye out for it!

Wow! I always wondered if I would ever meet someone who kept up with these things in Wurm. This is awesome.

I will have to be sure to log in... might force a day off. Thanks for the notice!

Can you post a 24hour notice?

Edited by Makarus

Jackal is moving into position nicely.  Things should begin to look interesting in another 12 hours or so.

Jackal and Seris will be very low on the Eastern horizon for this event so you will need a completely unobstructed view toward the East.  Best viewing time will likely be shortly after sunset, say 21:00:00 on day of the Wurm in week 3 of the starfall of Dancers in the year 1061.

Edited by Gaffer
  • Like 1

Valrei is moving closer to Jackal now and will attain a minimum separation of about 25 degrees near midnight of Luck day in week 3 of the starfall of Dancers in the year of 1061. 

• Like 2

Gaffer you're one impressive man!  Nice work! Thanks for the awesome sight =)

81U4P0x.png

Edited by nineol
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, nineol said:

Gaffer you're one impressive man!  Nice work! Thanks for the awesome sight =)

81U4P0x.png

Thanks for the pic. I wound up working through the timeframe this happened at. Might be able to see something when I get on, but doubtful.

Did anyone else snap a shot of this?

Here is one from later on.  Sorry for the big image, does the "Insert other media" tool just flat not work?

kazbFR7.jpg

Edited by Gaffer
  • Like 4

That is pretty cool.

Thank you, and good work with the prediction.

Wow, nice! Have you also observed the stars? Any constellations? Tips for navigating just by the stars etc? :)

During my meditating sessions I have sometimes looked at the sky, the starry sky doesn't seem to be just bitmap on the background. Stars move like the moons.

Very nice - there still seems to be some difference in the position of the moons in the sky between the stable and unstable clients :angry:

There is a thread in the client bugs forum about this...

Edited by Wulfmaer
add link to client bugs thread

Regarding stars and constellations, I haven't given them much attention other than identifying an asterism that marks the location of the Pole. The stars appear to be all the same color and brightness and that dampens my enthusiasm for studying them.

My one remaining ambition is to recover the orbit that Haven had before it started its current habit of thrashing around in the vicinity of Sol which looks to me like a bug.  It clearly used to follow a near polar orbit like Seris and Valrei.   My records alone aren't sufficient though so I am hoping to find old screenshots from other players to help with that.

4 hours ago, Gaffer said:

My one remaining ambition is to recover the orbit that Haven had before it started its current habit of thrashing around in the vicinity of Sol which looks to me like a bug.  It clearly used to follow a near polar orbit like Seris and Valrei.   My records alone aren't sufficient though so I am hoping to find old screenshots from other players to help with that.

Well, it did just appear around March 18th of this year... it's been a little over 5years and 2months in Wurm since then (if my math is even a little accurate..)

I can't imagine much data has been gathered on it, it was tricky enough trying to find out when it appeared as it's not on the wurmpedia.

I saw the 3 moons earlier today didnt think much of it till now, 

If you liked this conjunction, then you will love 1063 Raven III Wrath.  The moons will be bunched significantly closer and the observation window will be longer.

It is 20:00:00 on Wrath day in week 3 of the Raven's starfall in the year of 1063.
Jackal:  alt=+17.7, azm=-92.3
Seris:   alt=+32.2, azm=-74.0
Valrei:  alt=+11.0, azm=-85.9

This event is probably as good as they ever get.   Assuming of course that the new client retains the current moon positions when it is released.  Last time I looked the test client showed the moons in different places than the production client.

FYI the corresponding terrestrial time is approximately 2017-01-23T08:07:13.750-0600.

Edited by Gaffer
  • Like 2