Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Weekly News #43 Treats, no Tricks

header.png

Hi Everyone!

And what a week! Testing our new cooking update has been super productive, with bugs, text errors and all sorts of fixes being addressed, we're really thankful for all your hard work and feedback. Based off that, we have a few changes we'll be doing:

Complexity and effort
It's been pointed out a fair bit that the system might be a little too easy to gain the best benefit, while we do wish to make this system as simple as possible it is true that there should be more reward for performing more complex meals. As such we'll be scaling the CCFP gains and affinities to work with the complexity of a finished meal. It will take into account amount of ingredients, actions needed to be performed, and difficulty to provide a greater boost to those high end meals.

Our main focus will be ensuring that high end meals provide greater reason to create them, and encourage exploration in meals as well as sharing recipes found. Quick and easy meals will still fill nutrition and provide basic sustenance, but will provide minimal boosts to CCFP or temporary affinity timer.

With over 500 recipes multiplied by different methods of cooking and optional ingredients, there's enough of a range of options to get the affinity you are looking for in a high end meal (around the vicinity of 10,000 possible combinations).

As is current with the affinity system temporary affinities will only show if you are a premium player, non premium players will not see any temporary affinities.

Redesigning the cookbook

Currently the cookbook design has been focused on functionality, in order to ensure that the system worked, we'll be looking at taking feedback and ideas on the setup of the cookbook with a focus on improving it for usability. With that in mind though, due to the nature of the system not all suggestions will be feasible, though we are looking at moving it to a client sided system which would allow it to remain open with other windows, and give it a place on the quickbar. We'll keep you updated on how that goes.

This system will be ongoing over the next week or so, the test server will remain open this time as updates roll out, so be sure to jump on and try it out!

The winners!
Even though the current test window will be extended, we'll be announcing the winners of the prizes today! The winners of 10 sleep powders are:

• Garit
  • Ecrir
  • Rheascope
  • Greyfox
  • Lianya

The winner of the supreme steel frying pan is... Hickory!

We'll arrange delivery of the prizes over the weekend, if you have any concerns about being on to receive them, please send me a PM

I'd like to congratulate the winners as well as thank everyone for taking part, your testing means a smoother launch, which benefits everyone!

The test server will remain open over the next week, with focus on being adding those updates as they go in.

Rift materials
As teased last week, the uses for the strange materials harvested from the rifts that have been appearing. When combined with a metal, they can be forged into strange little runes, which will provide bonuses to equipment, vehicles and containers. Bonuses from these items will depend on the metal used when forging, as well as other factors, and provide a range of bonuses, including:

• Increased volume capacity
  • Lower weight
  • Less damage taken
  • Higher shatter resistance
  • Resetting the mailing limit
  • Reducing decay of the contents of a container

Some will be one use only, but others will attach to the target to provide a continual boost. Only one rune that provides an ongoing effect can be attached to a tool, excepting the single use ones such as mail reset limits.

This is a huge new system coming in, with almost 200 possible combinations, not all effects are currently outlined, but as this system is worked on we will bring you all the information about them in time for 1.3!

Extension on source rifts
As asked in last weeks news unstable source rifts will have their date extended by a few weeks, to allow for a decent length of crossover time to allow people to properly set up their new system with the new storage options for liquids and the removal of decay on decorations.

Wurm Unlimited
The next Wurm Unlimited update will go live on the 31st of October, some time in the US morning. We will provide an exact time closer to the date on IRC and Twitter/Facebook.

Community Content
Desolation v4!
Today marks the launch of Desolation version 4, a heavily modified PvP server project being run by Nappy (and I believe others!) I'm quite keen to see how this goes, and might even jump on myself!

That's it from us for this week, as you can see, 1.3 is shaping up to be more than just a nice big meal, we still have more in store and will be going into detail with those in the following weeks, in the meantime though, have a happy Halloween!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 13

What is this 1.3?

I run experimental, it says 3.99ze

Edited by Cecci

The next big update to Wurm.

Unrelated to client version.

More items to buff????

Ohhhh boy am I excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XD

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Complexity and effort

It's been pointed out a fair bit that the system might be a little too easy to gain the best benefit, while we do wish to make this system as simple as possible it is true that there should be more reward for performing more complex meals. As such we'll be scaling the CCFP gains and affinities to work with the complexity of a finished meal. It will take into account amount of ingredients, actions needed to be performed, and difficulty to provide a greater boost to those high end meals.

Our main focus will be ensuring that high end meals provide greater reason to create them, and encourage exploration in meals as well as sharing recipes found. Quick and easy meals will still fill nutrition and provide basic sustenance, but will provide minimal boosts to CCFP or temporary affinity timer.

I really appreciate the responsiveness of the team to concerns like this, and really like how things are shaping up with this update!

Cool. Thanks for the source rift extensions.

But reducing weight is going to be OP. Increasing volume capacity as well.
I can already see 1kg total weight PvPer with a max volume BoK. But I'm sure you guys will work out a good balance. 

42 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Rift materials
 Bonuses from these items will depend on the metal used when forging, as well as other factors, and provide a range of bonuses, including:

• Resetting the mailing limit

Can we also have a mailing limit increased to something somewhat decent, like 20 or 50.Unless that rune is easily accessible it might keep mailing items a luxury, which is no longer the way the game is played.

• Like 2

Hey I won something, that's awesome, I never win anything.

• Like 12

Grats to the winners!

I'm really excited how will the buffs from rift stuff work out, it is a real good idea.

Ship/cart speed boost maybe? :)

Dagwood sandwiches can have so many different things in them that you could probably get every possible temporary affinity from making and eating various dagwoods.

I, for one, am looking forward to the new dagwood-based economy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Banzai said:

Cool. Thanks for the source rift extensions.

But reducing weight is going to be OP. Increasing volume capacity as well.
I can already see 1kg total weight PvPer with a max volume BoK. But I'm sure you guys will work out a good balance.

I doubt it would be that extreme or it would be way OP per rune, but personally I think it could just be denied working on armor/weapon/shield/boks/mboks, so it works on all the tools and stuff that people don't really bring to pvp anyway, so it's still a minor plus for both pvp/pve

There's also considering if it makes a 5+kg breastplate 4.8kg instead or something, there's not a whole lot of use in totally saving a total weight % of your plate set amounting to like 2-3kg unless it's a beginner player that has barely enough body strength to walk with plate.  Edit:  ofc if it's 100% permanent there's no reason not to

Hopefully we find all the bonuses out before they're released and we can point out balance issues

Edited by MrGARY

Resetting mail limits requires something from a rift.  That is beyond silly.  It should be lifted.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Rift materials

As teased last week, the uses for the strange materials harvested from the rifts that have been appearing. When combined with a metal, they can be forged into strange little runes, which will provide bonuses to equipment, vehicles and containers. Bonuses from these items will depend on the metal used when forging, as well as other factors, and provide a range of bonuses, including:

• Lower weight

Uh...

This doesn't affect movement speed of armours, right...?

edit: and for the love of god make BOK's non-expandable.

Edited by Zekezor

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Extension on source rifts

As asked in last weeks news unstable source rifts will have their date extended by a few weeks, to allow for a decent length of crossover time to allow people to properly set up their new system with the new storage options for liquids and the removal of decay on decorations.

And that is the end of the fountains, and nothing else will me done to help store large amounts of stuff with no decay? is that understood right?

1 minute ago, Mith said:

And that is the end of the fountains, and nothing else will me done to help store large amounts of stuff with no decay? is that understood right?

... He says, in response to the news post that explicitly mentions an upcoming ability to enchant items for higher storage capacity.

so umm, does this mean accounts that manage to get the "good" affinities in higher complex recipes, are gonna be at an advantage over longterm? I mean something can only be "so" difficult, like once all the prep work is done are they gonna have a bonus over those who got selected with easier recipes? That seems a little imbalanced.

I feel like, all this fancy new stuff is gonna take away from the core aspects of the game, who knows we'll see...

Edited by TradingAlt

7 minutes ago, TradingAlt said:

so umm, does this mean accounts that manage to get the "good" affinities in higher complex recipes, are gonna be at an advantage over longterm? I mean something can only be "so" difficult, like once all the prep work is done are they gonna have a bonus over those who got selected with easier recipes? That seems a little imbalanced.

I feel like, all this fancy new stuff is gonna take away from the core aspects of the game, who knows we'll see...

It will take away from what is NOW the core aspects of the game because the game is changing and it's core is changing. Again. You can rebel against it and play the game the way you prefer to but be prepared for the ingame economic and social consequences of taking your own path. You will discover who saw you as a friend and who saw you just as a means to an economic end. Enough Said.

Edited by geode

Why do I get the feeling that my meditation/channeling giving foods are either going to be really low tier, or require dragon meat?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pashka said:

Resetting mail limits requires something from a rift.  That is beyond silly.  It should be lifted.

THIS.  

By god this should be done with the next update and not require anything from the players. Beyond silly? Pashka is being to kind.

Perodin/Ratheden

• Like 7

after 1.3 there will be no decay on decorations insite of deed with 30days+*?  confirm pls

When rebalancing nerfing the food, I'd really like to urge you to consider that on the test server, a huge range of ingredients were freely provided in large quantities. As such, perception surely will differ from when the system goes live. Few people play Wurm to its extremes and amass similar amounts for themselves.

Edited by Ulviirala
  • Like 5

HOLY COOKING SYSTEM BATMAN..... i won something !!!

That's not right.... IRL i never win anything... wow very cool ...happy day.

Thanks guys. ;)

• Like 3

I hope the halloween stuff is in game now? I'm not home yet--someone please tell me that my pigs are pumpkins right now. 

• Like 2