Sign in to follow this  
Nappy

DesolationV4 - Evolution - Epoch 3

Yeah I don't want a  other full time job, I was looking for fun but instead got a full time job mining rocks, if you want 64k your going to have to give us a better way to transport them instead of pushing a bsb for a hour or 40 rock shards at a time via small cart, Should change it back to 12k the first couple epochs shouldn't be that hard 

Edited by Thunderstruck
  • Like 2

dont all 3 kingdoms have to contribute? At the moment it looks like the biggest kingdom can contribute  faster while the 2 almost non existant ones will ahve a lot of trouble doing their part. Theres also the fact Im not moving to the hota island till theres less of a zerg around so I wont be contributing anything and will probably get bored and stop playing in a couple of days.

• Like 1

While 64k may be a bit overkill tbh, don't just focus on mining rock shards lol your making it into a mining simulator your self its day 2 chill jeez.

On that note maybe let small carts hold more rock shards and have less movement penalty for higher weights because it is a pain to move things as pointed out.

Edited by Darklords

44 minutes ago, Darklords said:

While 64k may be a bit overkill tbh, don't just focus on mining rock shards lol your making it into a mining simulator your self its day 2 chill jeez.

I mean if ur capped on all skills you want your focus is kind of progressing the epoch though

2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I mean if ur capped on all skills you want your focus is kind of progressing the epoch though

I though the focus was pvp at different stages of restrictions not to rush through the objectives as quick as possible. Not that if you don't like that you can't but why not just join a normal WU server if you want to unlock it all asap?

Edited by Darklords
  • Like 1

Guys:

Something to carefully consider. There is a design behind things. The goal is to give you a good experience. There are differences here and you aren't going to experience them if you are unwilling to try things out. 

All of you who played on Des 2 or Des 3 should be well aware that I monitor things, see what works/what doesn't and then make adjustments accordingly.

The goal is to have fun so if a particular number is too high then with time it will likely have an adjustment. 

From a designer viewpoint it's much better to make slower and more well considered decisions which is what I will be doing.

As far as the limited transport choices go, I suspect when you have access to more modern amenities like large carts you will more greatly appreciate them as a result of travelling through the earlier, more prehistoric, epochs. It's actually good that you are complaining a bit about the "bad old days of only having small carts".

Edited by Nappy

@nappy awesome, but transporting 64k with small carts or pushing bsbs I a little beyond silly lol

13 minutes ago, Nappy said:

Guys:

Something to carefully consider. There is a design behind things. The goal is to give you a good experience. There are differences here and you aren't going to experience them if you are unwilling to try things out. 

All of you who played on Des 2 or Des 3 should be well aware that I monitor things, see what works/what doesn't and then make adjustments accordingly.

The goal is to have fun so if a particular number is too high then with time it will likely have an adjustment. 

From a designer viewpoint it's much better to make slower and more well considered decisions which is what I will be doing.

As far as the limited transport choices go, I suspect when you have access to more modern amenities like large carts you will more greatly appreciate them as a result of travelling through the earlier, more prehistoric, epochs. It's actually good that you are complaining a bit about the "bad old days of only having small carts".

Its good to have the game progress semi-slow and the Epoch system idea is a good one just needs to be tweaked so its not forcing the player base to get burnt out and end up quitting because they have already maxed things they want to do and PvP with 5 shield skill and 20 in most others (10 in shield bashing) is just about as pointless and running around naked holding a fish in your hand.  As for the carts im fine with only having the small carts for the early stages most of the people complaining about the carts havent been around long enough to even remember the time before horses and large carts of Gold 2.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Claytonic said:

Its good to have the game progress semi-slow and the Epoch system idea is a good one just needs to be tweaked so its not forcing the player base to get burnt out and end up quitting because they have already maxed things they want to do and PvP with 5 shield skill and 20 in most others (10 in shield bashing) is just about as pointless and running around naked holding a fish in your hand.  As for the carts im fine with only having the small carts for the early stages most of the people complaining about the carts havent been around long enough to even remember the time before horses and large carts of Gold 2.

You might want to investigate other types of shields, you might find a surprise there (see what I mean about digging deeper into the skills to find out what hidden gems there are in a epoch)? We spent some time thinking about traditional "meta" to find ways to let people try other things. If you stay traditional on Des4 it will eventually hurt.

10 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

@nappy awesome, but transporting 64k with small carts or pushing bsbs I a little beyond silly lol

Not disagreeing with your thoughts. What is interesting is we hadn't thought of people pushing a bsb. However here's what's cool about that since Epoch 1 is meant to be about Wurm history:

Says the guy who said he would not help with so many shards, I spent alot of my time doing those shards because i want a cart. you changed our amount from 30% to 5%. It was alot of work to turn those in. As it stands, No reason to steal from other people unless you want to stall an epoch. 

From a game design standpoint, people are always looking to min/max in a competitive environment. It's unavoidable. People will do it subconsciously. By putting the maximum amount of shards at 64k, people are now trying to think of ways to get to that goal as quickly as possible. The gameplay pattern that involves would be to get as many people mining as many shards as possible and transporting them to the location. This was probably expected. The problem with the system is twofold: The epoch system is shared, meaning turning in shards benefits the whole server instead of just your kingdom; and the grind required to complete it seems like an excessive task that is too far off for the player to see as rewarding.

My recommendation is the following:

Limit the input of rock shards per X (amount of time) to Y (amount of rock shards). This puts a hard minimum on the time that you want the next epoch to occur. Then, in the same vein, make it so that the kingdom who turns in the final shard to hit that Y limit gets some kind of reward. This turns the gameplay pattern from mindlessly mining and turning in towards mining X, then transporting all of it so they can turn it in before Y time expires for the reward. It will also give downtime periods where players will mine in preparation for the next Y cycle.

Who knows, maybe it goes against the design, but I just don't know enough about the master plan to know.

• Like 1

@Sindusk - Interesting thoughts. We have a few approaches in mind that will further improve the epoch advancement system. We do have an award system in place however the default rewards were too OP for Epoch 1 so they are turned off currently. I will drop you a PM so we can chat further.

@All - Feedback is interesting and useful. Do consider trying various things on the server and remember a couple of key things:

1) Each epoch is meant to be special and unique in it's own way. This means some things from modern WO will work, others won't 

2) Each epoch will have things both available to it and also not available to it making many current WO metas useless. You will need to carefully investigate and see what works best for each epoch

3) Sticking to modern WO ways of doing things in the earlier epochs will likely put you and your team at a disadvantage

4) The expected timeline of the server is 1 year. This means that unless we plan to have tons and tons of epochs you can expect epoch advancement goals to be tough. The hardest epoch goal to set is Epoch 1 because a reasonable goal for 10 people is not a reasonable goal for 60 (and vice versa)

5) Just as some things are currently unavailable to craft, with time some things may also become obsolete and unavailable to craft from that point forwar

Look forward to more improvements in the epoch advancement system, a few you can expect to see in the near future (Desolation talk for next few days).

• Like 1

I'd like to see templars removed in early Epochs, With Tower Guards being the only defense.

With limited stats templars are crazy strong, pvp options are already pretty limited

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hakameda said:

I'd like to see templars removed in early Epochs, With Tower Guards being the only defense.

With limited stats templars are crazy strong, pvp options are already pretty limited

Currently limited to one per deed maximum. I will consider complete removal although not leaning in that direction currently. Perhaps some changes to how they defend against mobs though.

1 hour ago, Nappy said:

Currently limited to one per deed maximum. I will consider complete removal although not leaning in that direction currently. Perhaps some changes to how they defend against mobs though.

If they are too powerful for early epochs, I believe their FS and stats can be changed on server side making them just as strong as tower guards or slightly stronger, correct?

Someone decided to try to fly today.

[06:30:04 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.LoginHandler: <<<<player_information_withheld>>>>,<<<<player_information_withheld>>>> successfully logged on, id: <<<<player_information_withheld>>>>.
[06:30:18 PM] INFO ModComm: Received client handshake from <<<<player_information_withheld>>>>, 0 channels, protocol version 1
[06:30:18 PM] INFO ModComm: Activating 0 channels for player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>>
[06:37:46 PM] WARNING com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Communicator: <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> last counts=10000
[06:49:46 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.players.Player: Calculating spawn points for <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> took 0ms
[06:51:13 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.players.Player: Calculating spawn points for <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> took 0ms
[06:51:18 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:19 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:21 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:22 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:24 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:25 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:27 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:28 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:30 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:31 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:33 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:34 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:36 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:37 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:39 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:40 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:51:42 PM] WARNING desomods.AntiCheatDeso: Player <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> is flying?
[06:53:09 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.players.Player: <<<<player_information_withheld>>>> lost link 60 secstologout.
[06:53:30 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.behaviours.CreatureBehaviour: Gmnappy freezes <<<<player_information_withheld>>>>
[06:54:09 PM] INFO com.wurmonline.server.players.Player: Logout complete for Player [id: <<<<player_information_withheld>>>>, name: <<<<player_information_withheld>>>>]

Until I hear from them for a quick discussion (perhaps it was a helpful test that I forgot about) this account is currently blocked from accessing the server. If this was you feel free to privately contact me via Forum message to Nappy.

22 minutes ago, Hakameda said:

Somebody needs more work =)

honestly! We've cleared out the ER. there is nothing to do and I have finished all my required training modules.

Im going to watch this right now:

Edited by MootRed

[00:04:15] <Nappy> you will see me in game again - gave me quite the scare - grin

5 minutes ago, Hakameda said:

[00:04:15] <Nappy> you will see me in game again - gave me quite the scare - grin

It was nicely executed "visit" on your part. Came almost out of nowhere and gave me quite the surprise!

~Nappy