Sign in to follow this  
Simyaci

Let us Equip Unicorns with Silver/Gold Horseshoes

Unicorns are pretty cool and they are quite a rare sight in wurm online. They cant be hitched to anything and require much more body control to ride than a regular horse does. Riding them however, safe to say is not a common practice or even an uncommon practice. Since they cant be hitched, they already lose a lot of usefulness but we also cant equip them.

Please let us equip unicorns with horseshoes made out of gold or silver by implementing them and making them available to be used on unicorns. If this is too much hassle, please make it so that we can equip them with regular horseshoes

• Like 7

+1

We have priests who can't hammer a nail without getting punished by their god, gold and silver horseshoes are really not that much of a stretch ^_^

• Like 3

Silver is alloyed with copper to give it strength.
Gold is softer than lead.

+1 for equippable 

-1 for gold/silver

are steel horseshoes possible? they definitely `should` be.

Yes. Rainbow saddles and streamer barding.

Can we get some glitter?

Fabulous becomes the new reason to ride unicorns.

+1

• Like 3

Equipping unicorns sounds like a good idea in general.

Unicorn Pros:

• A little faster than a normal horse.
  • Carries a passenger.
  • A bit tougher than a horse in combat.

Unicorn Cons:

• Need to be tamed in order to ride.
  • Require higher Body Control than a horse.

Given that information, I don't see why they shouldn't just be given the same "horse" flag as horses and hell horses, letting us equip them with shoes and saddles... or at least shoes.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

Equipping unicorns sounds like a good idea in general.

Unicorn Pros:

• A little faster than a normal horse.
  • Carries a passenger.
  • A bit tougher than a horse in combat.

Unicorn Cons:

• Need to be tamed in order to ride.
  • Require higher Body Control than a horse.

Given that information, I don't see why they shouldn't just be given the same "horse" flag as horses and hell horses, letting us equip them with shoes and saddles... or at least shoes.

they also cant be hitched. the need to be tamed to ride pretty much make it very unlikely for it to replace regular horses on commerce by itself anyways. we really should be able to equip them

• Like 1

+1. why not, they already have higher requirements than horses.

I always wanted to see unicorns be a viable mount option opposed to the strict hell horse meta, pretty much since I was a Fo Champ.

+1 I would love to see this!

What follows is a quick comparison of horse, hell horse, and unicorn stats as listed in WU code, in order to assess the implications of giving unicorns horsie gear.

Clear "best in class" and "worst in class" stats are highlighted in teal and brown, respectively.

Horsie Comparison
  Horse Hell Horse Unicorn
Creature ID 64 83 21
Body Strength 25.0 35.0 20.0
Body Control 20.0 20.0 30.0
Body Stamina 40.0 40.0 20.0
Mind Logic 7.0 7.0 14.0
Mind Speed 7.0 7.0 14.0
Soul Strength 22.0 72.0 60.0
Soul Depth 5.0 5.0 14.0
Weaponless Fighting 28.0 38.0 35.0
Base Combat Rating 6.0 9.0 11.0
Creature Type Flags moveLocal, swimming, isVehicle, domestic, animal, leadable, grazer, herbivore, fleeing, dominatable moveLocal, isVehicle, animal, leadable, grazer, omnivore, dominatable, aggHuman, nonNewbie, burning moveLocal, isVehicle, animal, dominatable, herbivore, fleeing, grazer, nonNewbie, fleeing
Max Age 200 200 400
Max Speed 30.0 32.0 33.0
Passengers 0 0 1

SeatFightMod

(0.7, 0.9) (0.7, 0.9)

(0.6, 1.0)

(0.9, 0.5)

Some of these stats aren't likely to ever do anything, like Mind Logic. I'm not even sure Body Stamina actually matters for animals, but I could be wrong. I'm also not entirely sure what the numbers in SeatFightMod mean, but for the unicorn, the first refers to the commander and second refers to the passenger.

Regarding mount speed, it's worth noting that unicorns actually have the fastest natural speed out of the three. However, they also have less body strength than even a normal horse, which means they cannot be hitched to anything and will be slowed down more easily by the weight of the player (who, due to Wurm's food mechanics, is almost guaranteed to be fat as all hell) and the player's equipment/inventory. I'm not sure how significant the lack of body strength would be while mounted if the unicorn has all the weight-related speed traits, though. In the end, an equipped 5-speed unicorn may well be faster than an equipped 5-speed hell horse. Soul Strength also affects how often speed traits kick in, and hell horses do have a little more of that than unicorns do, so that may also help balance out their speeds in practice.

Unicorns are also better at fighting in terms of CR, but don't get wacky fire attacks.

Unicorns have less Soul Strength than a hell horse, making them easier to tame, and I believe this makes them retain loyalty a bit better as well. I'm not sure what else here affects that.

Note that even though unicorns have double the max age of horses and hell horses, it's unlikely to matter in practice, as there is also another age-related death mechanism that can kick in after an animal becomes venerable, regardless of the max age stat. Thanks to Noizhead for this information.

So, what are the possible implications of giving unicorns equipment? There's every chance they'd actually be better than hell horses, which has some balance concerns, since hell horses are aggressive and more difficult to tame, and don't have the handy passenger seat. Lesser body strength may compensate for this, and if it does, that's fine, but if not, I guess kicking their Max Speed value down a bit would help. Alternatively, let them equip horseshoes but not saddles, which I believe would fit unicorns thematically anyway.

One extremely ironic (in my opinion) result would be that hell horses would still be better for Fo than unicorns would be, since they would be able to ride hell horses without taming (due to animals turning neutral), whereas unicorns would still have to be tamed/charmed. I'd like to see unicorns as a sort of "white light" alternative to a hell horse, so that's a bit funny to me.

EDIT: I forgot to consider the fact that unicorns can have conditions making them better or worse in combat, like Champion status. In practice, I don't know if this would matter much, as people don't tend to use tamed critters in combat anyway, and champion unicorns are borderline impossible to tame without Charm Animal.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

the handy passenger seat

This one is just for screenshots, afaik.

Btw, what death mechanism?

Anyway, +1 to the equipping unicorns.

@OstentatioYeah, the champ and aggressive modifiers might be a problem but if you have to tame it to ride, then I think it might be fine. A venerable hell horse has a base difficulty of 84.6 while a venerable champ unicorn has 152.4 (75.4 when its not champ/hardened/ect..). With that high of difficulty it would be near impossible to get a tame long enough to do any kind of pvp unless its charmed, Needs looked at. Btw, the difficulty for the tame also takes into account the age, type (champ/hardened) and base fs so you have to look at all of them together.

If the speed and ss is lowered so its half way between a normal horse and a hell horse then +1 (also just use normal horse shoes). It would still be a pain to tame and ride but it would be a half way point between the two.

Edited by blayze

I might be wrong since it's been ages but since unicorns aren't aggressive was pretty sure the tame lasts forever, ages ago i had a champ unicorn that was tamed on upset for about a weekish iirc

• Like 1

+1. Not that I ever see unis on Xanadu, or ever plan on taming one, but they should be hitchable as well. Someone needs to ride a rare, purple unicorn cart around. 

• Like 2

After turning hellhorses to ~useless cart pullers... could we hitch these?

+1

silver/gold-ONLY shoes seem good... to make them ODD, fancy and annoying... and pop on the market some new goods to sell with a specific use just for unicorns...<_<

(I'm serious, ignore the emote)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MrGARY said:

I might be wrong since it's been ages but since unicorns aren't aggressive was pretty sure the tame lasts forever, ages ago i had a champ unicorn that was tamed on upset for about a weekish iirc

Taming loyalty decays much more slowly on weak and non-aggressive creatures like dogs or unicorns than it does for something like a hell horse. Combine this was hell horses' insanely high soul strength and yeah, there's a world of difference. It shouldn't last forever on a unicorn, but certainly quite a whlie.

+1 for making unicorns equippable, don't mind either way on whether they need fancy shoes or not.  It would be nice to not have to tame them to ride them, tho - having a tamed mount is a PITA when you're opportunistically hunting on your way to somewhere else.

We cant even put a saddle on them or groom them... There is no practical reason to keep them, breed them and they dont spawn so many that you would call them a hunting target. What is the point? 

Just make them useful. Make them very difficult to be useful  if you wish, but please make them useful. Come on

Yes to silver and gold horseshoes! but only if they sparkle and flash as you ride around upon them (Unicorns).

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Also -1 to gold and silver horseshoes.

These metals are too soft to be of any good use for horseshoes. Why do you think they use iron and steel?

It would be nice if Unicorns were the opposite of Hell Horses and just another high-level horse for more experienced / more capable players.

There are lots of unicorns on my server but when I tried to ride one and was unable, I stopped caring about them. Other than their looks or as prey for players/other creatures, they are useless atm and they could serve an upper echelon purpose.

Edited by Roushi

gold and silver suggested as a way of making it more difficult than using iron shoes if they are perceived as too good to be equipped with easy iron shoes

• Like 1

Actually it also plays into the folk legend that anything fea hated iron (and you don't have anything more fae than unicorns in wurm)

It might not be logically correct but lets be honest, what parts of wurm are; you work glowing iron with your hands (and carry it around in your "inventory"), priests are smited by their gods for doing some weeding, you toss massive bundles or rope onto an altar and the gods give you mana, you only get hungry and thirsty if you are "online", you don't ever get sick in a meaningful way (even from eating raw chicken/pork...), the list goes on and on

The realism angle is just a little bit off when you are talking about shoeing unicorns

• Like 6

there are unicorns in the game still? last one i saw was on an island on desertion 3 years ago.

i have not seen a single one on xanadu

Some folks feed and breed them to keep them from extinction. I have few myself