Sign in to follow this  
Jonydowy

Long Spear with Small Shield

The steel spear is already visibly short(er) and has one-handed animations.  Let it receive a stat adjustment to become a one-handed weapon, and the wooden spear be left as is (or bumped up to steel spear's current damage, why not?).  Then create a Short Spear skill and allow a switch with Long Spear as was done with Long Spear and Staff skills once upon a time.

It has always looked to me that the steel spear was intended to be one-handed.  I do not know why that didn't happen, but it would be a nice addition to the game, and throughly realistic.

• Like 2

bumpity bump bump - I like the idea of a one-handed spear, and it does look like it was intended to be that way. 

On 12/30/2016 at 9:49 PM, Teggs said:

The steel spear is already visibly short(er) and has one-handed animations.  Let it receive a stat adjustment to become a one-handed weapon, and the wooden spear be left as is (or bumped up to steel spear's current damage, why not?).  Then create a Short Spear skill and allow a switch with Long Spear as was done with Long Spear and Staff skills once upon a time.

It has always looked to me that the steel spear was intended to be one-handed.  I do not know why that didn't happen, but it would be a nice addition to the game, and throughly realistic.

Nononono! Don't mess with the current 2h spears, just add 1h variants.

• Like 1

The left (off hand) is empty, why not? +1

it would be fun my spear ingame one shots most mounts ( horses with bardings also) so id think its fun

As a spear user... +1!

I guess the 'tricky' bit is detaching long spear from polearms parent skill, what does it become instead?

Keep the polearms, just need shield skill gains when using long spear. Or whatever works code wise, but it seems fine in the same skill tree as of current.  My two irons.  Plus 1 again bump.

Edited by Brew

Awesome screenshot ^, bump for off hand shield

+1 from me. Although I use the traditional longsword and shield, this would be an awesome alternative.

+1 just because I want to spear and shield bash a troll's face and would be funny to have a "This is Wurm" chest kick move :D

Valkyrie by Peter Nicolai Arbo, 1864

440px-Valkyrie_by_Arbo.jpg

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 1

so nerf spear damage to a 1h weapon? on par with longswords and axes? 

• Like 1

Wooden spear could be 1h (may need dmg balancing as it's always been weak for 2h). Steel spear would then be 2h aka pike.

Edited by Pingpong