Sign in to follow this  
Jonydowy

Long Spear with Small Shield

Do i need to say anything else?

Why can't we use that combo..It looks bad ass!!

Sureee..here comes pvp players '' yeaa but will do that and that and this and its not a great ideea'' Well! make it so that it wont be a huge deal on pvp servers.

• Like 21

well, the concept of a spear and shield is seen throughout history more than a sword and shield.
+1

and trust me, it wouldn't change much in the pvp world, spears suck

• Like 1

the best way to get people to get onboard with a suggestion is to bash a group of players off the back yea

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Hoppy said:

well, the concept of a spear and shield is seen throughout history more than a sword and shield.
+1

and trust me, it wouldn't change much in the pvp world, spears suck

you'd be surprised, shouldve seen us on epic when we abused trolls with halberds that would just three or fourshot you off your mount w/ pre-nerf SOTG before we got done meleeing it down. ;)

if only i was BL on chaos

+1

Edited by Propheteer

+1, should also work with medium, but anyway +1. I'd actually like to see them wieldable with any shields but with various effectiveness, or BS requirements or something like that.

• Like 1

I have 90 staff, longspear, and halberd, can confirm they're not that bad on animals but pretty much suck vs armor, they glance too much for some reason

BUT, let staff and spear/longspear be used 1h, and while 1h you don't get the polearm damage bonus?

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

I have 90 staff, longspear, and halberd, can confirm they're not that bad on animals but pretty much suck vs armor, they glance too much for some reason

BUT, let staff and spear/longspear be used 1h, and while 1h you don't get the polearm damage bonus?

Staff doesnt work nice with small shield,the staff is more of a japanese,chinese weapon,halberd is a two handed.. i'm talking just about long spear used to poke while you can defend,there could be another type of spear added that could be used with shield.. and the curent one we have cand be used the way it is.

• Like 1

Halberd should be 2hand, and leaning towards long spear staying 2hand. At least as far as specific dmg types do.

Spears used in conjunction with shields can have less power as a balancing factor, except for the small shield which could be worn as a buckler.

For that matter, imho the small shield should be functional along with bows to help give it some extra boost in usage.

• Like 1

Can Wurm handle switching between 1 handed and 2 handed on the same weapon? If it can't, maybe having Short Spears (1 handed) and Long Spears (2 handed) would work?

+1

• Like 2

On 9/10/2016 at 11:59 AM, JakeRivers said:

+1 

Sparta-How-to-play-compressed.jpg

That is definitely a short spear.  Long spears, pikes, are used with both hands.

Batalla_de_rocroi_por_Augusto_Ferrer-Dal

If you see a shield in there, its because that unit is a "Tercio", a mix of long spears, man at arms (sword and shield)and arcabusiers, and that is how long spears are used.

Even if its not historically accurate, a "Broquel" shield could be added, to be used with long spears, providing some melee protection, but nearly to no ranged protection. Many RPGs and fantasy settings use the "Broquel" as a wrist attachment.

38-svaghi%2C_lotta%2CTaccuino_Sanitatis%

On 2016-10-09 at 4:59 PM, JakeRivers said:

+1 

Sparta-How-to-play-compressed.jpg

Spartan hoplites used short spears that were partially used as a throwing spear.

A longspear would be a spear more in line with what the macedonian phalangites used.

tumblr_ng6n83qA4z1re4q6uo4_1280.jpg

The kicker is that while phalangites used the spears 1-handed... it loses most of its use unless its supported by a lot of other phalangites to form a spear wall.

In smallscale combat (10-15 vs 10-15 like wurm) it would be countered with ease by swordsmen with shields.

Later in history soldiers were equipped with slow-reloading guns and generally lacked equipment to handle melee combat (such as shields etc) and thus could get butchered if a cavalary charged in. Hence pikes were used to form a protective line.

1517589.jpg

They were used with 2 hands and placed with the backend towards the ground to instantly impale charging cavalary without being pushed back.

But Uhm,... Longspears can definetly be used with 1hand in the right conditions... Being mounted isnt one of them.

However based on the weapon characteristics in wurm none of the spears are truly "long" so to speak.

They are all short range but with varying names.

• Like 3

The spear in game does not look that long really, should have it with a shield, it may be over powered in the case, would require some testing.

It certainly would look cool though to wield a spear and a shield.

qVTcdrb.jpg?1

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

The spear in game does not look that long really, should have it with a shield, it may be over powered in the case, would require some testing.

It certainly would look cool though to wield a spear and a shield.

qVTcdrb.jpg?1

it's not OP but would make the shorter spears obsolete. (well except against mounts....? which its designed to be good against...?)

We tried it on a WU server before where longspears also had added bonuses.

It was pretty cool as a weapon in terms of looks, especially while riding.

Edited by Zekezor

Not against having more weapons such as longer spears, which could certainly be 2handers.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

I'd love to be able to use a spear, and perhaps also a longspear, together with a shield (mainly for cosmetic reasons, I have no shield skill to speak of currently). If it's necessary for pvp balance reasons, couldn't you make it so that they do reduced damage when used in combination with a shield?

-moved post to own thread.

Edited by Khellus

+1.

What about those shields with a notch in it to help balance the longer spears? 

Loss of mobility would be feasible in Wurm, though loss of agility might be more fitting if feasible? dunno.

I'm sure there's a way it can be balanced.

I'd focus on balancing it so it's not overpowered but not in terms of keeping status quo.  Adapt.

5 hours ago, Aeryck said:

Looks really great!

61f6f0cb42.jpg

I know!! i had this exact picture in my mind..please let this be on To do list for 2017!