Sign in to follow this  
FranktheTank

Change the way meditation skill is gained

Change the way meditation is gained by having guaranteed skill ticks with no chance of failure to meditate or get a skill tick. To balance this just reduce the skill ticks slightly.

Waiting for 30 minutes moving the rug, and having a meditation limit only to find out that you failed to relax, or worse waited the full time to get a nature tick is actually insulting to the player in a skill that is based on both waiting real time for path upgrades and skill.

You do realize that "failed to relax" doesn't reset the 30m timer, right? If you get that, you can just try again.

+1 or at least a higher success rate.

Edited by MaurizioAM

Meditation isn't actually different from other skills in this regard: You roll a skill check based on difficulty, skill, and rug QL, and get a generally bell-curved distribution of results. If the result's between 0 and 40, you get skill.

I don't know if it would be appropriate or even very useful to make it an exception to how the skill system works, like Fighting or Faith. The only reason it feels more annoying than other skills is because you have fewer individual actions; over time, the average result is still the same.

Edited by Ostentatio
  • Like 1

I did 90 on one, 80 on another, 70 on another, and countless 30s for enchant alts and whatever I did on two accounts on wild/freedom side I forget

I don't think it should be auto-gains like faith, but probably removing the 3 hour timer weird crap that made some people set alarms to wake up and meditate and go back to sleep can be removed so it's just always a 30 minute timer for rng fun so you aren't missing out if you aren't missing sleep like how did some people even do this hello mono

• Like 3

Well, as I see it, meditation is one of the few features that are supposed to be very hard. I admit that it can be frustrating to follow a path, but it is that mixture of stubbornness, perseverance and frustration that makes reaching high meditation levels so extraordinarily rewarding in the end. It took me 2 years to reach 90 meditation and the 15th level - a long journey, but the achievement makes you kind of proud :)

So, I'm sorry, but: - 1

• Like 1

I honestly understand the: "I suffered so you should have to suffer as well" ethos as I fall into it quite a bit myself, but in fairness to the OP, I agree that the meditation mechanic is poorly implemented.  I'm not sure anything "fair" could be done about it at this point, but I'm all for ideas that attempt some sort of decent compromise while correcting a flawed system.

6 hours ago, MrGARY said:

I did 90 on one, 80 on another, 70 on another, and countless 30s for enchant alts and whatever I did on two accounts on wild/freedom side I forget

I don't think it should be auto-gains like faith, but probably removing the 3 hour timer weird crap that made some people set alarms to wake up and meditate and go back to sleep can be removed so it's just always a 30 minute timer for rng fun so you aren't missing out if you aren't missing sleep like how did some people even do this hello mono

Also: We really need a message when you start meditating if you're trying to do it within the 30 minute cooldown. Just as a QoL thing.

-1 Tell you what when you are trying to get the question for the 16th Hierophant level we both can whine how brutal it is to get.;)

• Like 2

On 10/7/2016 at 9:02 AM, Becket said:

-1 Tell you what when you are trying to get the question for the 16th Hierophant level we both can whine how brutal it is to get.;)

Once again an example of someone having a bad time, demanding others must suffer the same as he.

Suffering? Not me . I have 91 in Meditation,I'm not the one crying about the skill ticks.

Meditating just have limited gains or should I say.. TRIES to get ticks every day, and if you can't spend the time or don't know how it works, that's not game or anybody's problem but your own; just ask and you could be given tips about the skilling of it.