Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Slow change of focus

Hello Everyone!

As many of you already know, Wurm is now mainly being maintained and developed by a group of volunteers from the player base headed by our Product Manager Budda, most of which are under contract. My involvement and role in development is diminishing as I've been at it for 13 years now and I feel a bit of a drain. Hence, I am educating myself in new areas since WU brought in some breathing room for Wurm. I will remain CEO and do administrative tasks and stay involved in discussing the direction of the game but this group of active contracted players will henceforth be the ones taking strategic and day-to-day decisions much based on your input. This feels like a the natural way of developing the game and will be good for the longevity of Wurm and its continuous progress. 
I want to expand my knowledge and work on non Wurm projects for a change and I think the dev team has proven a lot and matured quickly since this spring when it was formed. Wurm is doing well financially and will be around for years to come.
In case you are an able coder interested in becoming a volunteer and help improve the game and possibly do some bounty coding, don't hesitate to contact Budda.

Long Live Wurm!

Rolf
  • Like 37

listen to the community on what needs to be done, implement popular suggestions and be open to all suggestions. I wish you the best of luck on your road ahead but remember what makes the game is the community and the player base if you have non, no matter how great the game is it wont be successful.

Edited by Egard
  • Like 16

Best of luck with the slow move toward other projects, Thirteen years in any role is a long time. Thanks for everything! :)

• Like 2

Thank you Rolf for all the great years! Looking forward to the Budda team years to come. I hope you keep us updated on your future projects and adventures!

-Wurmhole

• Like 3

Thanks for all your efforts Rolf, enjoy your break from Wurm development! Thanks again for creating a fun game! :)

• Like 1

I've at times expressed pretty strong opinions both about your actions and the direction the game's sometimes headed in, but I really do wish you the best and hope you'll find something you enjoy!

• Like 8

Rolf before you go .. can we get confirmation that there will be no merge of epic into the freedom cluster..

as i know there is a lot of players wanting this?

• Like 2

I only got here a year ago so didn't get to know your era well, @Rolf. All the best to you and thank you for creating this. Can we finally get saddlebags as a farewell gift, please?

• Like 2

Sleeping bags! I want sleeping bags!..... You know because people are taking this chance to ask you for things before you go =) also who will read the wishing well wishes now? o.o

Now that I'm done being goofy see ya Rolf =) I hope you get to work on many new and fun projects!

• Like 1

Before you go, can you leave us with that dancing rolf elf animation your wife made for you all those years ago?

Good luck in what you do next, dont know much about the current devs but hope they have the right mindset for the future development of the game and that they'll value community feedback above all else when considering changes and ideas.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rolf said:

WU brought in some breathing room for Wurm

1 hour ago, Rolf said:

Wurm is doing well financially and will be around for years to come.

Well, WU ain't WO, with a player count still dropping I do hope you are right.

You created the game, you made decisions (good or bad doesn't matter) that push the game forward and shaped how it is now. You can be proud of the game you created and the hardcore community that gathered in, but please make sure the Wurm Online spirit will remain even with you stepping down, the game and community deserve it.

Good luck in your new projects.

• Like 7

How do you legally collect money for a game coded by volunteers?

Well, I didn't see that one coming...

Thank you for creating and developing the game for all these years.

Good luck to you with all your future projects.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chakron said:

How do you legally collect money for a game coded by volunteers?

It's called shares, and it's 100% legal.

• Like 6

I wish you the best in your endeavors, Rolf, but I fear for Wurm without you running the show.

• Like 4

It's the natural progression of the evolution of genius.  Working on a project as passionately as you have with Wurm you will succeed in whatever the future holds.

I've only been around almost 4 years now, but I tell ya, 3 hours into playing Wurm I was hooked and never looked back.   Thank you for the time, effort,hair pulling, laughter and frustration you have given the community and the game.

With the changes in the past and those to come, you wouldn't take a step up, note NOT a step away, from those that continue to be part of this community and those that develop this wonderful game because you trust that we are left in capable hands.  Sometimes it is easier to step up another rung on the ladder to see the future, as you have discovered, and indeed the future is bright.

( besides, now it gives you more time to actually Enjoy your fruits of labor )

Good luck Rolf and nothing but best wishes.

Edited by Stormblade
  • Like 2

Good way to do it. I guess your not leaving completely but thanks for making such an awesome game, truly a gamers game. GL :D

• Like 2

Hi Rolf

I started playing Wurm at a time in my life when I really needed an alternate world.  Initially, I jumped in my chair when I saw a red outline around a moving object, and night times scared me to death.  Champion lava spiders were the scariest...until I met champion trolls.  I built so many fences that my noob nickname was Fairy Fency Pants.  After a while I envisioned the houses I was going to build.  I looked forward to  the oceans to sail, the new places to explore and the way the land could be shaped.    Wurm has given me more than just distraction.  It has given me hours upon hours of fun.  I made real friends in the game.  Wurm is more than just a little game people just "play".  You really have to LIVE the world to truly appreciate the depth and complexity of all the different aspects.

You, Rolf, created something very special and we all are fortunate to share in this world.  Thank you very much for everything you have done over the years, and for keeping the game alive so people who need something else to escape to, have a place to go and call home.

All the best for your future.  However, most times, people who were once bitten by the Wurm bug, always come back.  Perhaps you will too :) 

Hugs,

Fairy x

• Like 15

google; games like wurm online, nothing comes close, why does this smell like the end

• Like 3