Sign in to follow this  
Acurapassion

Improve Weather and Storms

This is something that I've been wishing for years, and I don't think has been updated once (other than adding lightning) in the over 10 years I've played. A good weather system with storms and rain are one of my favorite things in a game. But as of right now, the only clue that it's raining are the occasional drops around you, there are hardly any clouds around, the sky doesn't get dark, puddles don't form on the ground, things don't look wet.

I and many others would be incredibly grateful if the Dev team could give the weather system some much needed love. Thank you for taking the time to read this. :)

• Like 8

Two words:

Java limitations

As much as I'd love to see something of the sort, it's just not feasible with Java.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Budzilla said:

Two words:

Java limitations

As much as I'd love to see something of the sort, it's just not feasible with Java.

Java limitations or not.... it's very easy to make more rain. That's something that could be done in no time at all.

As for the Thunder and Lightning, i think they got it spot on.... leave them as they are just add more rain drops on the overlay, Job done, just so it looks like a Thunder Storm and not a Thunder storm with light drizzle.

Really...  a screen overlay with more raindrops would do the trick in my book. ;)

Edited by Garit
  • Like 2

+/-1 I don't know. They made a very detailed fog with lots of varying degrees where they ranged from natural beautiful mists and believable fog to unnatural white paint hanging in the air, and they always turn it up to the ridiculous maximum level where you can't even tell water from air or foot from house. That's not a difficulty or level of annoyance I'd want to add to any of the other aspects of the game.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Garit said:

Java limitations or not.... it's very easy to make more rain. That's something that could be done in no time at all.

As for the Thunder and Lightning, i think they got it spot on.... leave them as they are just add more rain drops on the overlay, Job done, just so it looks like a Thunder Storm and not a Thunder storm with light drizzle.

Really...  a screen overlay with more raindrops would do the trick in my book. ;)

I was more talking about the puddles and reflective bump mapping.

I'm all for having rain trigger the sky to become dark and cloudy (and increasing the particle density), rather than having sun showers all the time :P

Edited by Budzilla
  • Like 3

+1 can also add a setting to increase the amount of rain and improve the weather. That way computers with lower limitations wont be forced to have low frames :-)

• Like 4

+1

I'd love more developed weather, both visually and world effects.

I'd also love it if my roof did something, like, you know, keep the rain and snow outside. XD

• Like 4

On 10/2/2016 at 10:01 PM, Budzilla said:

I was more talking about the puddles and reflective bump mapping.

I'm all for having rain trigger the sky to become dark and cloudy (and increasing the particle density), rather than having sun showers all the time :P

As you said Lord Budzilla... Puddles and such are a tad over the top for me but i would be VERY happy with "increasing the particle density" when it comes to the rain.

Totally agree with you on that point. ;)

• Like 3

Idk why wurm doesn't have a wet/cold/warm/hot system - we got campfires/fireplaces but for what?

• Like 2

Always been up for weather and temperature to impact gameplay more.

The current servers can be the more temperate zones to diminish and ease such changes.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gawain said:

+1 at least give us thunder sounds

Aye. Awaken me hounds ye will.

• Like 2

Especially for us headphone users:

/me eats lunch

BOOM!!! oh, lightning directly overhead... /me cleans up lunch

• Like 4

On 03/10/2016 at 0:55 AM, Darmalus said:

I'd also love it if my roof did something, like, you know, keep the rain and snow outside. XD

the balls on you. to dare ask for such a thing. 
lol.

+1 for weather
+1 for weather effect clipping

• Like 3

Weather patterns would be great, for immersion, variety and for game-play.

I always wanted  a meteorology skill in Wurm, that allows you to predict future weather, the higher the skill the more accurate the prediction is and the more days it covers, say max. an RL week. So that one could schedule sailing trips according to future wind strength and direction. Skill could be developed at craftable weather stations (analogue to praying at an altar, but instead faith you develop meteorology skill by observing weather and winds) and by observing cloud movements and wind strength with a craftable https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemometer.

• Like 3

+500 for a more detailed weather system.

(I realize I'm necro-ing a thread but this is the most recent one I found through searching that pertained to this discussion. Didn't want to create a new one when this one has so much feedback already.)

Sunshowers are cool, but they happen way too often, it's like it's the only weather Wurm actually has. Nice to see rainbows from time to time but how often do you load up the game without seeing both rain AND sun? It's a bit backwards haha

I think I've seen lightning maybe twice or thrice in my thousands of hours played, and don't recall once hearing thunder (though I've seen it mentioned so maybe that's just my memory).

Also can't remember actually seeing snow fall to the ground, only seen the white ground. Though it's possible I've missed that as well because I've avoided the snowblindness for the most part :P

Typing /weather and just getting pure flavor text about what way the wind's blowing is a disappointment.

Wind already affects sailing, and without affecting player creativity IMO shouldn't do much more than that.

A randomized system of weather featuring rain, thunder/lightning, and snow in the winter would be ideal with appropriate effects.

Lightning striking various creatures to empower them would be an interesting concept. A spider with electricity coarsing through it... *shiver*

Could have interesting interactions with water bodies.

Setup lightning rods atop buildings or something to attempt to deter it.

I'm not a big fan of the idea of temperature effects and dying/surviving to hot/cold - Wurm's already got enough survival for you to worry about unless you boost the rates or hack/mod anyway... ;)

If it became a thing though I'd probably deal with it if actual weather were incorporated too.

Saw an idea in another thread:

On 12/19/2016 at 4:42 PM, Jukken said:

Even cooler, Fo priests being able to cast a spell to change weather.

It's a cool idea as well. Give followers of the priests specific weather spells/effects.

Fo priests can control/change the weather within the current season (an expensive cast, maybe with a cooldown and/or multi-priest requirement)

Libila priests could be immune to temperature effects (if implemented), or call down lightning to an area/enemy... Areas of mycellium create acidic rain in their environment to damage non-Libila players?

Vynora priests could channel to predict the weather (a forecast)

For Magranon... maybe some weather effects could impair the combat prowess of followers of the other gods, while Magranon perseveres and is impervious to it

Even without rich detail and high-resolution texturing or the extra stuff, this game's got such environmental beauty to it. The biggest thing in my eyes that sticks out as lackluster is the weather. This would be a huge improvement in my eyes. I'd be lying to call it a *must*-have, but this would complete the immersion for me personally.

If food can be an entire major patch, I see no reason weather couldn't be too.

• Like 1