Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Poison Wounds & Venom

Its a strange question but does anyone here actually use the venom enchant on their weapons?

If so do they have any idea on how often the poison wound insta-death occurs?

after 5 minutes if they didn't heal the wound it pops them or is a chance to pop them idk it's not really used 

The poison damage is also partially reflected if the person has AoSP on their weapon.  As a result, not alot of people use it.

• Like 1

I've done some testing with Venom, all my testing was done on WO however, I've no idea how things work in WU if they are same or different. This is what I know about it:

Poison wounds have a small (seems to be roughly 10-25% depending on cast power and circumstances that applied said wound) chance to kill you on every healing tick they undergo.

That said this chance is small and specifically for wounds inflicted by weapons, seems to be affected by the cast power on a very minor level.

Poison wounds cannot be bandaged iirc, they can only be treated with salve and or possibly have a HC applied.

The only way to fully bypass the chance for death however, since that chance still applies to ticks when treated and covered, is to use Life Transfer or a healing spell to heal the wound directly.

There seems to be several circumstances that govern how quickly poison wounds take effect, and alter the instant-death-tick chance:

1. Location of the wound. Chest wounds seem to have the highest chance of giving the "You start to sweat as the poison courses through your veins" event message, and cause instant-death. Extremities such as the feet and hands appear to have the lowest chance. (or this effect is slowed, see #2)
  2. There appears to be a mechanic in place meant to accelerate the instant-death chance when you move around versus stand idle. E.g. getting hit in the chest with venom and running 20 tiles could kill you, but getting hit in the hand, then running 20 tiles might only make you closer to dying. (I guess we are meant to perceive this as "increased blood flow")

Venom itself does not add a damage modifier to the weapon it is cast on. (in the same way Life Transfer does not modify damage dealt, only adds a vampiric effect)

And finally yes, AOSP DOES REFLECT Venom wounds and poison damage, so it can be somewhat risky to use in PvP. But PvP is built on Risk Versus Reward... right?

There isnt much else to it, it's a very deadly and dangerous spell that can in the right circumstances, be just as dangerous to the wielder as the defender.

• Like 2

Keep in mind, poison from Venom enchant or that mob are the only actual poison wounds.

Fungus trap gives a poison wound that isn't actual poison, it is renamed physical damage that can be bandaged with cotton.

• Like 1

Aye aosp reflects venom attacks back. Plus venom requires linked priests, a lot of favor, high difficulty, and a lot of faith to unlock it to begin with. Soooo doesn't see a lot of usage in pvp.

Although... web armor has been gaining more and more popularity over time, so the defenses may drop enough for Venom to have value.

Edited by Klaa

4 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

So venom would be ideal for unique hunting in PvE?

I'm pretty sure venom doesn't work on uniques, and uniques have fast healing anyway I think.

14 hours ago, MAADposter said:

Keep in mind, poison from Venom enchant or that mob are the only actual poison wounds.

Fungus trap gives a poison wound that isn't actual poison, it is renamed physical damage that can be bandaged with cotton.

What about the wounds from failing to desecrate an altar or getting bitten by a shark (when fishing, not the creature)? Are those actual poison or just renamed as well?

I am not sure about sharks (haven't played in some months) but I know that the poison wounds from desecrating altars are the real-deal and can kill you as well.