Sign in to follow this  
zorako

Reinforced Floor Collapses

Today I had to mine out several tiles in a mine that used to have the floor reinforced. This was a rare event in the past.

If the Dev's have to collapse reinforced floor tiles then at least give a warning . Make rotting reinforced tile show maybe .

We can not examine the reinforced  tiles to see decay, therefore we cant do anything to prevent the collapse.

If someone wants to remove the reinforcement of a floor tile it is easily done.

Recommend that reinforced tiles prevent collapses on their tile to a much higher degree than they do lately as this is a simple solution.

Who gets harmed by reinforced floors not getting collapsed ?

• Like 1

Must have the walls reinforced, floor does nothing but look pretty and make it possible to build on freedom.

odd to see this in suggestions section.. but sure

+1 to not collapse reinforced floors

I know that wont happen, but a man can dream, right?:mellow:

I believe that reinforced mine floors were originally introduced to have the ability to prevent newbie accounts from being able to mine down and ruin mine floors. Then over time players somehow came up with the idea that they would prevent tile cave-ins on those tiles, which was never their intended purpose or even an effect presented.

I also remember not long ago there was some discussion as to whether they had any effect at all on preventing tile cave-ins and some Wurm staff claimed that they did. To me it doesn't make any sense that they would since then you could just use 1 floor reinforcement to replace 2 side tile reinforcements. Since the Dev policy is never to reduce any time consuming processes once initiated (e.g. remove lye requirement from making concrete as some WU servers have done), I see no reason why they would make reinforced floors prevent tile cave-ins other than as some unintended side effect, if they do at present have any effect on tile cave-ins at all.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
add nd
  • Like 1

No reinforcements prevent cave in's completely, even a tile surrounded by reinforced walls and with the floor reinforced could collapse, the chances are just lowered with each reinforcement on the walls (and to a much lesser extent the floor).

There was a recent-ish change where the devs decided that floor reinforcements should be required to prevent collapses in caverns (previously only tiles next to cave walls could collapse), but that was reverted shortly afterwards.

• Like 1

Yeah, they can cave in but it does not happen often. Unless I have just been very lucky...

I thought we had confirmed that at least underground house tiles cannot collapse, which i thought was based on the reinforced floor?  I cannot find the thread, but me and one or two others pestered devs until one of them chimed in and said... something about collapses not happening on reinforced tiles...i thought.

I built my actual house and have many things underground based on that confirmation, which i wish i had bookmarked now because if a tile collapses on my stuff i am done with wurm.  It would be retarded to allow and encourage us to build under ground just to have cave collapses on our stuff at random, that is too sadistic even under the current dev regime of making things slow and more painful

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClericGunem said:

I thought we had confirmed that at least underground house tiles cannot collapse, which i thought was based on the reinforced floor?  I cannot find the thread, but me and one or two others pestered devs until one of them chimed in and said... something about collapses not happening on reinforced tiles...i thought.

I built my actual house and have many things underground based on that confirmation, which i wish i had bookmarked now because if a tile collapses on my stuff i am done with wurm.  It would be retarded to allow and encourage us to build under ground just to have cave collapses on our stuff at random, that is too sadistic even under the current dev regime of making things slow and more painful

I believe I read on here that a structure would not be collapsed onto, but I did not save the mark either. Of course, my underground palace has not been around long enough to have had a good chance for a reinforced floor tile in a house to have collapsed yet considering how rarely a reinforced floor tile has actually caved in for me. I think I have had maybe 4 or 5 in over a year of reinforced cave ins and I have an enormous cavern under my deed. It's very rare from my experience. Considering how often I have had regular tiles cave in, the odds seem extremely low. Regular cave ins happen quite regularly.

Edited by Audrel
can't type today (edit 2) or make sense.

I don't trust the coding to prevent a random collapse on a underground building, with mine I reinforce everything in sight, I believe it is just a matter of time before someone posts a screenshot of a house with a mound of rock piled up in it. There should be no chance of a collapse on your deed if you have walls reinforced period. I don't care what happens off deed, but I am enjoying my underground life and do not want to see my valued items destroyed at random.

Since the coding was tweaked not too long ago the tile collapses where a single wall is not reinforced are fairly frequent, I have seen tunnels close up less than an hour of mining it out.

12 hours ago, ClericGunem said:

I thought we had confirmed that at least underground house tiles cannot collapse, which i thought was based on the reinforced floor?

The reason that house tiles do not collapse in mines is because of the house structure not the reinforced floors. Also, interior house tiles are considered part of that structure just as above ground houses. Seems the reinforcements are just there to enable the planning of the house which otherwise can not be planned in caves.

=Ayes=

On 9/20/2016 at 4:58 PM, Ayes said:

I believe that reinforced mine floors were originally introduced to have the ability to prevent newbie accounts from being able to mine down and ruin mine floors. Then over time players somehow came up with the idea that they would prevent tile cave-ins on those tiles, which was never their intended purpose or even an effect presented.

I also remember not long ago there was some discussion as to whether they had any effect at all on preventing tile cave-ins and some Wurm staff claimed that they did. To me it doesn't make any sense that they would since then you could just use 1 floor reinforcement to replace 2 side tile reinforcements. Since the Dev policy is never to reduce any time consuming processes once initiated (e.g. remove lye requirement from making concrete as some WU servers have done), I see no reason why they would make reinforced floors prevent tile cave-ins other than as some unintended side effect, if they do at present have any effect on tile cave-ins at all.

=Ayes=

reinforced floors does not prevent accounts from mining out the floors. I have a ramp with reinforced floors and in one mine action the reinforcement was gone and my ramp was messed up, this was on Chaos but we reinforced the floor thinking it would prevent the enemy from messing it up. i don't know is this is the way it is suppose to be but that is what happened.

2 minutes ago, EvaDaly said:

reinforced floors does not prevent accounts from mining out the floors

What I stated is that reinforced floors prevent >Newbie< accounts from mining down mine floors. This is because they can not reach the 21.00 body strength required to remove them if not Premium.

=Ayes=