Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Eliminate skill gain bonuses - SP, Nutrition, etc

Level the playing field and eliminate the requirements to take a certain path or level up a skill (cooking) to achieve max possible skill gains.  No more SP.  Not ever when servers are down for 3 days.  Give out extra silver copper/silver to compensate for lost play time, which can be directly applied to buying more playtime.

PoK and PoL can get new awesome features and also be given a chance to change paths.  Maybe a total Meditation overhaul is in order?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

Give out extra silver copper/silver to compensate

Adding extra currency doesn't seem like a good idea.

Why not just give everyone extra premium days to cover the down time? (Only to premium players obviously)

And only to accounts that either tried to or were logged in at the time of downtime/server issues.

Edited by Jukka

I think you are missing the point that SB is a bonus available to all that help to level the play field... specially boosting players efficiency at low levels.

Nutrition at 80/90+ was easy to reach for anyone, so not really a bonus, the only bad thing was the skill gain malus which was removed.

The PoL nerf raised an incredible outrage. Want to nerf it again, yup, go ahead, i'm sure you will be loved for it. PoI, nothing forbid anyone to join it and reach level 11 which is the bigger interest.

The only uncertain fact is how much the cooking bonus will impact things, but if it's only 10% at the max QL... it will be negligeable and just make it another chore for those willing to spend the time cooking instead of grinding their skill.

All in all, that seems quite balanced already. So of course : -1 / nope / think moar!

PS. We haven't had a large downtime for a while, don't jinx it.

-1  Why worry about skill gain modifiers?  Oh, will it cause purchased highly skilled accounts to lose their value?  <_<

• Like 1

No Aaron. It is just so people don't have to spin their wheels on grinding skills that help you grind skills faster. The grind squared.  It is something I appreciate with other games.  Does it bother anyone else that you have to sacrifice major meditation benefits to get the max skill gain option? Sacrifice time to spend cooking to keep skills up.  "what ya doin Bob?"  "I am pre-grinding so I can grind harder" 

But you don't have to grind for sleep bonus??

SB allows people who can't play 24/7 like the hardcore grinders to make reasonable gains in the time they can play.

• Like 4

Actually there is a point in this forum thread. Often, when the topic comes up, what is wrong in Wurm, it is mentioned, that there are too many crafters in Wurm and not enough consumers. Considering this, giving more skillgain bonuses(new cooking) only deepens that problem, because it will simply throw the numbers even more off balance.

3 hours ago, rixk said:

there are too many crafters in Wurm and not enough consumers

that's like saying : lets the top crafters stay top crafters and don't have any of those nice things to thin the gap between old and new players. Which is kinda not what the OP says. (And what the "bad" skill gain features provides).

Unless I totally missed the irony in your post.

3 hours ago, rixk said:

Actually there is a point in this forum thread. Often, when the topic comes up, what is wrong in Wurm, it is mentioned, that there are too many crafters in Wurm and not enough consumers. Considering this, giving more skillgain bonuses(new cooking) only deepens that problem, because it will simply throw the numbers even more off balance.

I would disagree on two points;.

One)

I sell common materials and I never seem to be able to keep supplies up.

Two) 

if there are "to many crafters" in a field it probably has to do more with a lack of uses for the additional materials.  Lots of people want plate armor, cool.  They buy a set, done.  After lots of fighting now they need it repaired and re-improved.  Sadly, the original smith isn't around or may be busy.  What to do? So someone else Grinds up another plate smith.  How many sets of armor you think he's gonna sell? Less than the first, and maybe make some for friends and allies.

Maintained things in wurm last forever. So to improve the lot of crafters there needs to be more consumption activities. 

Edited by Tallios

10 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Does it bother anyone else that you have to sacrifice major meditation benefits to get the max skill gain option?

You choose whichever meditation path fits you in-game goals.

If your goal is just to grind skill, sure, you 'have' to choose Knowledge.

If you have other goals, PoI might make more sense, or PoL.

It all depends on what you want from the game. Not everyone aims to get the most skill ticks per hour.

The only way you could possibly argue against cooking giving increased skillgain would be as a PvP issue, where you 'fall behind' the curve if you don't train as fast as others do...but even then you can have a fully enjoyable PvP experience without being the 'most skilled'.

But I think +10% skillgain rate over someone else isn't going to make a difference to those who don't have time or can't be bothered to train cooking anyway, as they will certainly be 'behind'... there is always someone who can play more hours per day, played for more years or uses more SP...

Aiming to be the 'most skilled' in a game like Wurm is almost certainly a failing endeavor unless you can dedicate your entire life to it, for the reasons mentioned above...especially if you're a new player only starting now.

Edited by Jukka

56 minutes ago, Odynn said:

that's like saying : lets the top crafters stay top crafters and don't have any of those nice things to thin the gap between old and new players. Which is kinda not what the OP says. (And what the "bad" skill gain features provides).

Unless I totally missed the irony in your post.

Nice in theory, but.. there will always be a gap between someone who plays 1 hour per day and someone who plays 8 hours per day.. especially when all the bonuses are available for everyone.

• Like 1

Sorry this idea needs more 'suggestion' if that makes sense. Instead of removing it, could just make the skill bonus baseline so everyone has it but it would have the be at 99% always. If the devs were trying to suggest that earlier, a lot of people wouldn't of went berserk. Communication is the key to changes like this. Obviously they would have to give POL's refresh a new bonus. One logical one would be every time you use it you get a free hour of sleep bonus. I disagree with removing SP, that isn't a good change. 

but the irony of grinding a skill that helps you spend time, making items that can help you skill faster and maybe recover the lost time you spend grinding it and making it...

I'll bet almost everyone in this thread that is opposed to removing the skill gain boosters and also strongly opposed any boost to a global speed up of skilling in general.  Also quite puzzling to me.