Sign in to follow this  
Postes

Lower the Premium Price for Epic or Overall.

I'll be blunt, and this will sound a bit mean, but you have to face the facts. This game is not doing that great, and Epic especially is hitting rock bottom fairly quickly and there really seems to be no real plan about it. I think back to when I first started Wurm and I always thought there was three real great selling points for Wurm:

- It's cheap.

- It's small.

- It's unique.

Unfortunately awhile ago the developers or Rolf alone changed the price, and I understand this. You have a family, a child, and employees under you. You can't simply not make money, but I also think you hurt yourself a bit with the price tag of the current game compared to Wurm Unlimited. Why would anyone really play WO when you can do a one-time payment for Wurm Unlimited? Plus there's far greater control over the world, the map, rules, and punishing exploiters. People used to have a LOT of alts because the game was so cheap, it was something like $7 USD a month? It was a great deal. It let people try out the game or make an alt freely without worrying about a paycheck.

My personal opinion is that the game isn't really providing enough currently (especially on Epic) for the price tag and monthly subscription. There's no one to even PvP against. I think honestly that you have to go back to a model that is welcoming to consumers and markets your game appropriately. Let's call it what it is - this is a 10 year old something Java MMO that has a very small community. Is that really worth the price now? I don't think so. I do think though if the price tag was more appropriate you would maybe see more people trying it out.

Anyway, just my thoughts, cheers.

• Like 15

I guess there are some differences between WO and WU, mainly to do with the ability to earn currency inside WO as there are other players, and real life money plays a role.  However, with less players in WO to trade with, and more leaving for WU or other games, the potential to earn money inside WO becomes diminished.  I have seen high QL rares with high casts sell for 5 silver, where two years ago you would buy a blank, creation level rare for 5 silver . High skill chars have sold for less than one gold, which would not even cover the premium time needed to get those skills up to those levels.  With fewer players, deeds don't sell.  Traders were nerfed, hence you can't give them away now, since they are the proverbial white elephant that just continue to earn less than even the actual deed upkeep to keep them on.  Fountain pans are going to be removed, leaving more people with more chores and less incentive to pay for a deed where you log in only to do chores and repairs for a lot of the time.  I recently paid for grass to be enchanted, just to find it packed again within 6 weeks.  Wurm is still small.  It is still unique, and very immersive.  But whether it is cheap in the big scheme of things, becomes more debatable the smaller the playerbase is.

It is a catch 22 as well.  With less players, game developers have less people to get money from for paying devs and programmers, or servers, security, or other costs (buildings, living expenses, etc.)  Lowering the cost for current players will lower their income.  This may lead to less money for developing the game further.  This may lead to more bleeding of people to WU or other games. 

It really is a double edged sword.

Just my two cents as well.

Lower the price overall and guys like me would likely prem up extra accounts that are currently dormant. With the current price premming multiple toons isnt feasible especially when you take wu into consideration.

Even with the CAD very low against the Euro, this game is still very cheap for me.   Possibly the cheapest sub.  No need to lower the sub price. People who can't afford roughly $11 CAD a month have bigger problems then online game subs.

Make epic free to play, lower the cost of freedom pve and chaos pvp.

Epic shouldn't have a paywall, you want people to pvp not charge them for it. Only thing that should cost money is deeds. Since there is no economy from it "for the most part" it really wouldn't change much.

This topic is a business decision and not the place for the suggestion forums.

As such I'll be locking this thread.

• Like 3