Sign in to follow this  
polarbear

Ways to promote the game?

We all know that the more players that come into wurm online the better. Other than posting in social media. What would be a good way to promote this game "freely". Also can we make it a community effort to reach a goal of say 5 thousand more players in a year? It sounds like a lot, but when you think of some MC servers that have 30k individual players on at once 5k should be easy. Granted bringing all the old members back would be great, but how do we bring new blood to the game. 

Discuss. 

• Like 1

i speak what to do for 5 years now,   FB ads, youtube ads, google adsense-....   Free advertise its just not working as you see

Maybe take a look at why new players do not stick around before advertising.

• Like 4

4-Chan, Facepunch...there are so many groups that could be targeted for advertising our game.

I seem to recall a sort of list of good ideas from the spring or was it winter brainstorming?

Mainly on how to improve game for newbies iirc?

Edit: this was the foreplay, I think there is an after topic also

Edited by Cecci
added link

Um, has Wurm ever had some kind of sponsor system where we benefit from getting new players (to stay)?

Ha another suggestion about this topic. Seen one of these yearly for the past 3-4 years. Advertising isnt the biggest issue here. 

Keeping players interested is something this game struggles with ( could go into detail but I feel someone else will anyway).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cecci said:

I seem to recall a sort of list of good ideas from the spring or was it winter brainstorming?

Mainly on how to improve game for newbies iirc?

There has been such "improvements" being thrown around for ages and many of those even implemented (lesser aggro range, higher ql starter armor/weapon, give iron from foraging, village teleport etc). Has it helped? Doesn't seem to be. But IMO it has pretty much destroyed the survival aspect of Wurm. Also it has lessened the goals, which new players can set for themselves(find a mine, get safely to the village, etc).

46 minutes ago, rixk said:

There has been such "improvements" being thrown around for ages and many of those even implemented (lesser aggro range, higher ql starter armor/weapon, give iron from foraging, village teleport etc). Has it helped? Doesn't seem to be. But IMO it has pretty much destroyed the survival aspect of Wurm. Also it has lessened the goals, which new players can set for themselves(find a mine, get safely to the village, etc).

There never really was much of a survival aspect beyond your first couple of days anyway.

The short answer is "you don't at the moment"

The long answer is a ui overhaul, its one of the big walls to wurm gameplay.  A simplified ui that looks "prettier" would draw in a lot more players.  Then you can advertise the "wurm ui overhaul", hells even call it "wurm 2.0"

Some thoughts are:

• Pie menues rather than dropdown ones.  Its a matter of style but if wurm is going to use a lot of menus then at least they could look good.
  • Visual inventory - Currently wurm's inventory feels like browsing folders in an old file manager.  Item icon, QL as a number underneath (toggleable), smaller icon in icon to see what is needed to imp (toggleable), information comes up on mouse over.
  • Graphical flourishes such as animated health bars, skill bars that "pulse" when skill is gained, graphical skill window.
  • Combat UI overhaul, lets have some visual feedback for clicking a body part, radial menu right click to "target" certain body parts might also work better, anything but text feedback!
  • Reduce reliance on text feedback, give some audio feedback or visual feedback for success/failures in actions.  Expressions like "oh god my arm" when something lands a medium wound there or a "snapping sound" when failing to add more log to a fine carpentry item or a "sizzle" sound when cooking succeeds with a little white smoke particle effect (visible only to the cook) around the cooking container.

Finally make it all optional, let people who want to keep their old ui!  Since the people of wurm look at the word change and go "status quo is god, do not change unless it makes my game easier"

• Like 4

Never underestimate the power of "bad" publicity.

Find some head-up-their-ass fundamentalist group with a reputation for being idiots, and express your concern of how Wurm is a computer game polluting the minds of the Children and Society in general.

General media will eat it up, and people LUUUV controversy.

Murder, mugging, human sacrifice, zombies, zombie animal breeding, human zombie breeding (well okay that was a temporary deal... but it still happened), demons, pagan gods, and etc.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2016 at 4:58 AM, Etherdrifter said:

(I'm gonna borrow and expand on some good thoughts from Etherdrifter.

• Pie menus rather than drop-down ones.  (A more visual menu system overall is my perspective.  What we have has served us well but is clunky and undesirable compared to other MMO's)
  • Visual inventory (Video games have been doing this for a long time, I suggest wurm this as an option.  Recommended: Windows style Detailed, small icons, medium and large icons) 
  • Numerical listings (numbers damn it, can I get numbers on my damn health, stamina favor, water & food?  I hate having to hover over things to figure out how much whatever I have) 
  • Combat UI overhaul, small icon like the injury overview on the paper doll screen for players.  That appears when injured., give some audio feedback or visual feedback for success/failure
  • Reduce reliance on text  This I believe strongly ties into the combat UI overhaul. Or maybe even key an emote when you fail at a crafting attempt such as muttering curse as you fail to create a Food Storage Bin.
  • New Changes optional with plans to eventually phase them out after say 1 year. I sympathize with veterans who "don't want a change" but also with "progress must be made".  Keep a change optional for a least a year after it was "finalized" to allow a smoother transition.  Then clean up the code and remove the old.

At this point I'm interjecting some of my thoughts.  Just suggestions but something that I think would add to the game more than it could ever take.

• Use tools:  There are a lot of things that you build that do not use tools.  How do I add nails to an unfinished item without a hammer or mallet?  Basically add tool activation as a building step for items and objects.
  • Building steps: When bridges were released a great idea was started, Building stages, can we get some of this retro-active on things like boats?  You can re-tool the # of items needed to be more, but please for the love of all the GODS stop making people hammer in 400+ pegs by themselves.  This also applies to other objects as well, barrels, FSB's, BSB's furniture, etc.
  • Building Plans:  I would like to suggest a limited inclusion of the deed planner program into wurm itself.  Allow people to draw out plans in advance, and the "drop the plan" on the ground and the frames spring up, already configured for doors, windows etc.   Require that this be done on paper, at a desk with ink.  Still limited by skills, but let people get an idea of what they are wanting build.  Also opens up the idea of an architect profession.
  • PvE Danger:  I would like to suggest some changes to PvE specifically.  Danger.  For deeds that do not have Spirit Guards.  Not more trolls, but more dangerous ones.  Not harder hitting, not more health, not even more armor.  I want these bastards to raid my deed, attempt to pillage my food stocks, etc.  Also the same for other creatures.  I would like to see spiders climbing over fences to feast on horses trapped in pens. Bears causally munching my strawberry fields.  In other words, challenges.  (Also see Protections)                                                              *this however should be optional, the inclusion of a spirit guard would "frighten off" these kinds of attacks.
  • Protections: I would like to see changes in Guard towers, Archery towers, Turrets, and traps.  I would like them to actually function, against mobs (and KOS players).  I mean why not? gives people crafting options for something other than eye-candy.  Also give them costs.  Archery tower uses arrows, bows, meals.  Towers use weapons, armor, meals, bandages, healing covers.  Not all are necessary but they contribute to the effectiveness use.  Otherwise they are all baseline.
  • Guard Towers:  If built on deed should patrol the deed and perimeter. Guards will return to the tower prior to de-spawning, all of their equipment goes into the tower for the next guard. Equipment can only be replaced by higher from any player, and removed only by tower owner or deed permission.  Guards need a notion of self preservation, fighting to the death every time seems to 1 dimensional.  Note the better their gear and availability of healing materials will make them "braver".

The reason I post all of these suggestions in "ways to promote the game" is simply this.  If we want more players to stick around, we need a better class of game.  What has been done is amazing.... for wurm; and in my personal opinion if some of these ideas can be fully realized in Wurm, we would have a unique game that would compete with other major MMO's.  

I want to have a hard time logging in because the login server has a queue.   Can I get an Hoorah!?!

Edited by Tallios

On 9/4/2016 at 3:01 AM, Cecci said:

Um, has Wurm ever had some kind of sponsor system where we benefit from getting new players (to stay)?

That is what the referrals were supposed to be for.  But most people sell them.  I'm sure some players have received a free one here or there from a player that wished to do that.  But those are few and far between.

For the changes.  You guys need to remember there are alot of people that do not have sounds enabled for this game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pashka said:

For the changes.  You guys need to remember there are alot of people that do not have sounds enabled for this game.

This is in part due to the ability to not have any in-game control over the sounds, or to eliminate other peoples sounds.  I won't lie, the turrets are annoying as *!*@#&.   Also when I work, I'd like to be able to tone down other people work sounds.  But none of this is available so many play with no sound.

• Like 1

This has nothing to do with anything other than I pick the sounds I want to hear in my house.  It is generally what I'm watching on TV not what I'm playing on a computer.  I have no sounds for ANY game I play.

• Like 2

I don't know, how about not taking half a step forward, then a cartwheel back with development and alienating a large portion of your player base because of -insertnoneconomicalreasonhere- ?

I mean...difficult right?

Oh I found the topic on the Q&A log.

Now I think that maybe there was a list published afterwards also, that sort of merged what Rolf felt was good from "Plan for a plan" topic plus the Q&A.

33 minutes ago, Tallios said:

This is in part due to the ability to not have any in-game control over the sounds, or to eliminate other peoples sounds.  I won't lie, the turrets are annoying as *!*@#&.   Also when I work, I'd like to be able to tone down other people work sounds.  But none of this is available so many play with no sound.

what bugs me and i play with sound btw is the imnipresent sound of grating porticullis opening  and closing.. arrrgh...

but otherwise its fine same with music ....  i stuill enjoy the soundtrack

18 minutes ago, Psalamon said:

what bugs me and i play with sound btw is the imnipresent sound of grating porticullis opening  and closing.. arrrgh...

but otherwise its fine same with music ....  i stuill enjoy the soundtrack

I agree, also the fact that my friend who is nearly 80 tiles away but not over, goes in and out of his, and it sounds like I'm standing next to it.

1 hour ago, Tallios said:

(I'm gonna borrow and expand on some good thoughts from Etherdrifter.

• Pie menus rather than drop-down ones.  (A more visual menu system overall is my perspective.  What we have has served us well but is clunky and undesirable compared to other MMO's)
  • Visual inventory (Video games have been doing this for a long time, I suggest wurm this as an option.  Recommended: Windows style Detailed, small icons, medium and large icons) 
  • Numerical listings (numbers damn it, can I get numbers on my damn health, stamina favor, water & food?  I hate having to hover over things to figure out how much whatever I have) 
  • Combat UI overhaul, small icon like the injury overview on the paper doll screen for players.  That appears when injured., give some audio feedback or visual feedback for success/failure
  • Reduce reliance on text  This I believe strongly ties into the combat UI overhaul. Or maybe even key an emote when you fail at a crafting attempt such as muttering curse as you fail to create a Food Storage Bin.
  • New Changes optional with plans to eventually phase them out after say 1 year. I sympathize with veterans who "don't want a change" but also with "progress must be made".  Keep a change optional for a least a year after it was "finalized" to allow a smoother transition.  Then clean up the code and remove the old.

At this point I'm interjecting some of my thoughts.  Just suggestions but something that I think would add to the game more than it could ever take.

• Use tools:  There are a lot of things that you build that do not use tools.  How do I add nails to an unfinished item without a hammer or mallet?  Basically add tool activation as a building step for items and objects.
  • Building steps: When bridges were released a great idea was started, Building stages, can we get some of this retro-active on things like boats?  You can re-tool the # of items needed to be more, but please for the love of all the GODS stop making people hammer in 400+ pegs by themselves.  This also applies to other objects as well, barrels, FSB's, BSB's furniture, etc.
  • Building Plans:  I would like to suggest a limited inclusion of the deed planner program into wurm itself.  Allow people to draw out plans in advance, and the "drop the plan" on the ground and the frames spring up, already configured for doors, windows etc.   Require that this be done on paper, at a desk with ink.  Still limited by skills, but let people get an idea of what they are wanting build.  Also opens up the idea of an architect profession.
  • PvE Danger:  I would like to suggest some changes to PvE specifically.  Danger.  For deeds that do not have Spirit Guards.  Not more trolls, but more dangerous ones.  Not harder hitting, not more health, not even more armor.  I want these bastards to raid my deed, attempt to pillage my food stocks, etc.  Also the same for other creatures.  I would like to see spiders climbing over fences to feast on horses trapped in pens. Bears causally munching my strawberry fields.  In other words, challenges.  (Also see Protections)                                                              *this however should be optional, the inclusion of a spirit guard would "frighten off" these kinds of attacks.
  • Protections: I would like to see changes in Guard towers, Archery towers, Turrets, and traps.  I would like them to actually function, against mobs (and KOS players).  I mean why not? gives people crafting options for something other than eye-candy.  Also give them costs.  Archery tower uses arrows, bows, meals.  Towers use weapons, armor, meals, bandages, healing covers.  Not all are necessary but they contribute to the effectiveness use.  Otherwise they are all baseline.
  • Guard Towers:  If built on deed should patrol the deed and perimeter. Guards will return to the tower prior to de-spawning, all of their equipment goes into the tower for the next guard. Equipment can only be replaced by higher from any player, and removed only by tower owner or deed permission.  Guards need a notion of self preservation, fighting to the death every time seems to 1 dimensional.  Note the better their gear and availability of healing materials will make them "braver".

The reason I post all of these suggestions in "ways to promote the game" is simply this.  If we want more players to stick around, we need a better class of game.  What has been done is amazing.... for wurm; and in my personal opinion if some of these ideas can be fully realized in Wurm, we would have a unique game that would compete with other major MMO's.  

I want to have a hard time logging in because the login server has a queue.   Can I get an Hoorah!?!

pie menus? The whole reason i am here for the last 5+ years is because of wurm being wurm, not some 3d modern piecharted crap. Old school mmo. More text, more numbers, more science and discovery plox.

Anyway, this thread is pointless to debate. It is what is to those who it should be that to. No one else. Fortunately I am one of those.

But your last few points are great, like those.

Best trick ever:

New players stay away from the forums. Here is nothing but weepy, glassy eyed complainers that can't tell the difference between pointing out flaws and actually doing something about it, and quit.

Oh and OP, did you consider that if you wanted this to be like "other major mmos", you should play those, and leave this for those of us who don't want to play them. Yuck.

Wurm is great. If it changed, itll lose the original point, and i remember well Rolf implying that wurm is created from his vision, and i like that... hopefully he won't sell out.

Edited by Marlon

YES YOU HIT IT ON THE DOT

PIE MENUS ARE THE TUNNEL OF LIGHT

HALLELUJAH 

• Like 1

Put the game on steam, create a promotional incentive to get people to play there, spend money on google analytics

Give the game to popular twitch streamers and pay them to play it to rake in players.

Hire real PR people. don't get offended but, i'm sorry staff i don't see anything, my opinion though

Spam reddit gaming, indie, etc, reddit, reddit, and more reddit.

Edited by Niki
forgot reddit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marlon said:

But your last few points are great, like those.

just curious which ones specifically so i can refine the gems and dump the garbage.

2 hours ago, Marlon said:

Oh and OP, did you consider that if you wanted this to be like "other major mmos", you should play those, and leave this for those of us who don't want to play them. Yuck.

Wurm is great. If it changed, itll lose the original point, and i remember well Rolf implying that wurm is created from his vision, and i like that... hopefully he won't sell out.

and with all due respect, I think a few minor changes and Wurm can compete with not be like other MMO's and end up with a 20K subscription base or more.

• Like 1