Sign in to follow this  
LordLouis

Newly opened canal - The Orient Express

As featured in the news this week;

The Orient Express canal is now officially open and a Heritage site. It took a total of 5 years to complete, is 7 tiles wide and has a length of 915 tiles.

The canal runs from House of Lords to Lakes End.

UJ0woY2.png

Map courtesy of Hughmongus 

House Of Lords Entrance:

Spoiler

RGg7wpM.jpg

C0yDr1K.jpg

Not quite as grand as my Lakes End creation.. however it is 4 years old and awaiting revamp.

Lakes End Entrance:

Spoiler

fHmWzcH.jpg

ihU2OtP.jpg

fEqOAK4.jpg

The canal features: 

Wide corner turnings.

Spoiler

z425fuI.jpg

High ceilings and maximum min-able rock depth - for taking those big boats through.

Walkways either side, all the way through. 

Spoiler

xVD4xm3.jpg

Central dock with tunnel up to the steppe hunting area and Devils Shadow.

Spoiler

Tg5k8av.jpg

JEcZ6UD.jpg

East side dock and tunnel to steppe hunting area and House of Pain.

Spoiler

UPE0Kt3.jpgvoXGxYx.jpg

Back story: 

The brainchild of the canal was Nivox, who started the route from Devils Shadow to House of Lords late 2011. He worked on it as a side project for a good year before quitting Wurm for his career. 

With this tunnel between HOLs and DS mostly complete, Zomag (owner of DS) and I decided to continue his work of creating a canal to Crystal Lake from the east coast.

The initial plan for the canal was for it to be dead straight. However this proved to be impossible due to numerous large deeds in the way. 

After determining the only available location on crystal lake for the exit, a tunnel was piloted to connect to Devils Shadow. 

Zomag and I continued working on mining the tunnel when we could, the project was more of a pipe dream and the general thinking was that we probably would never finish it.

We did however, persevere, and in the final year of construction we gained the help of some fine miners. Most noteworthy being Pingpong, who personally smashed at least 70/80 veins (we lost count after a while!) and cleared vast swathes of rock on the last leg. Second major credit goes to Cerber, who also helped clearing many veins and the final tunnel section. 

Other Credits:

Spoiler

Lords of The Steppe Alliance

The North Indy Alliance

Hughmongus & Skyefox

Kibils

Kasumi

Dadd

Deathlemming

Pblack

Alphafat

Numerous alts

Big thanks to all that helped!

Apologies to any missed.

Edited by LordLouis
  • Like 22

I think you guys did a great job and the pics are wonderful!

• Like 2

haha, i was waiting for that thread since the news, well done!

• Like 1

To LordLouis and Zomag, and The Orient Express mining team,

Our congratulations on a job well done!

When we stumbled upon The Orient Express during one of our early mapping surveys of the eastern part of Indy back in April of 2014, we were blown away by the scale of mine engineering being undertaken.

We were honoured that you entrusted us with keeping what was then, probably one of Wurm's best kept secrets, whilst it was under construction.

We are happy that we were able to make small contributions to the western part of the project:

..... helping you with the recruitment of miners who could be trusted to keep secret what they were working on,

..... making numerous tile counting recon surveys to pin down the locations of the mines in the area to the west of Devils Shadow,

..... supplying custom maps to aid you in determination of the western route and its exit,

..... finally the mapping survey of the whole project from end to end, in preparation for its opening announcement.

As of tomorrow morning's update, the location of The Orient Express Cave Canal will be added to the Albia Roads Map of Indy.

For those travelling on foot or by horse or cart/wagon, please note that you need to use the North Side footpath, in order to utilize the Devil's Shadow or House of Pain surface exits/entrances.

Will try to get over there soon to do a survey of the House of Pain/south east plains surface entrance/exit, to get it added to the map.

Again to LordLouis, Zomag and all the miners who poured their hearts and hard work into this amazing feat of Wurmian engineering, our Congrats again on a job well done! 

Kindest regards!

Hughmongus and Skyefox

Co-administrators - the Albia Roads Map of Indy

Co-leaders - The Albia Consortium

Edited by HughMongus
grammer, spelling corrections
  • Like 2

Very Nicely done indeed ! I had no idea this project was going on, (I guess I don't leave my deed much).

The entrances look awesome, I can't wait to go on an adventure and check this out. :)

• Like 2

Excellent, as with all things you do ;) 

Grats on finishing it and getting heritage status! Will shorten travel time a lot :) 

• Like 1

Thats a impressive canal and looks phantastic! I will explore it as soon as possible, I have a big respect for people that finish such tedious projects. 

• Like 1

Outstanding work by all , very well done... Three cheers to the team on this one.

• Like 1

Congrats from the Kinoss Canal team .. great job, and i particularly like the entrances :)

• Like 1

Excellent work! I am very glad you made this post about The Orient Express canal because after I saw that picture of it on the last Weekly News section I was very curious to find out more about it. I guess some GM took that picture of the Lakes End entrance because the perspective gives a clear view of the fantastic design. Very futuristic looking and the symmetry of it all is almost perfection. Never seen the likes of it really, most impressive indeed.

The backstory was interesting with those details and the walkways on each side make it seem a more efficient form of travel that the local roads. Also those tunnels to the surface at various points increase the functionality of it all. A wonderful project well done and perpetuated over the years that lend more meaning to the impression that time can make when spent in game to create some fantastic and enjoyable projects for those who persevere. Well done!

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Great Job.  I do hope that after all that work it is deemed a protected venture. Would hate to see anything destroyed or collapse.

• Like 1

Awesome job!!!  I will be packing up some meals for a trip to use it to see it in person very soon!

• Like 1

I remember when it just went to DS and that was impressive enough!

I'll have to head thru it and do a video.

I have a dream of mining from the bottom of Twin Angel peaks and meeting up with this tunnel, but we all know ill never finish it or start it :P

Awesome work guys!

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:53 PM, Lolabelle said:

Great Job.  I do hope that after all that work it is deemed a protected venture. Would hate to see anything destroyed or collapse.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 0:24 PM, LordLouis said:

The Orient Express canal is now officially open and a Heritage site.

It is protected. :) And Great job on completing what I would call one of the biggest well guarded secrets I have seen so far in Wurm.

Edited by Talohan
added to it
  • Like 1

Took a trial run through this canal today. Really amazing. Great work on it folks, will get lots of use. Best part is, with a hop in between, it's right in line with my Deli deed. Shaved about 20 mins. off my trip to it. Thank you, thank you.  :D

• Like 1

Thanks all for the kind words , it was a tedious project for all of us.

Now with heritage status, I hope it serves the community well in the future!

Edited by LordLouis
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2016 at 3:51 AM, Milosanx said:

I remember when it just went to DS and that was impressive enough!

I'll have to head thru it and do a video.

I have a dream of mining from the bottom of Twin Angel peaks and meeting up with this tunnel, but we all know ill never finish it or start it :P

Awesome work guys!

Hey Milo, a vid would be great, perhaps a time lapse though as it takes a good half hour to sail through! Let me know if you plan to and I'll get any lamps lit that require lighting. I do always enjoy your vids :D

I will do one for sure. Just let me know when you are done with lighting, if you intend to. As you know I just down the coast, so getting there is pretty quick.

• Like 1

I'm sailing it now as I post this, very impressive!  An amazing amount of work went into this!  Well done!  My Santa hat off to all involved!!!

• Like 1

Very worthy of heritage signage.

I sailed through today. This canals made it such a shorter sail to Crystal Lake, sweet.:D

Wide open for passing with two sided wagon paths, so worth to see,

a wonderful tunnel/canal project guys.

Edited by jasminth
  • Like 1