Sign in to follow this  

Very glad to see the refresh nerf is not happening, thanks for that. Am suddenly much more interested in the cooking revamp :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rixk said:

It is not about nutrition skillgain bonus.. it is more about the difference how fast your food bar drops, when you compare for example having 50% nutrition and 99% nutrition.

Exactly. Also a pain to wait stamina climb back to max with food bar below the half. With low nutri it is hard to keep it high. Too frequent distraction from actual activities - as hot meals are way better than cold ones. Not even considering meal decay rate in inventory. 

• Like 1

Simple question here: How can you introduce such a complex (at least on paper), cooking system but you still can't stop animals in a field from congregating in one corner? I had a farm with over 400 farmed tiles with every crop available in game, in this farm I had 15 animals. Every time I would go into the field to farm 98% of them would be in one corner. This has been an issue for years. Frankly I'm sick of being told you will get to it or your working on it and they you introduce this seemingly complex cooking system. What bugs will that introduce I wonder?

p.s. I ended up killing the animals because I was sick of them becoming diseased from lack of food in that 400 tile farm.

Edited by Allurapre
forgot about the animals
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, KyleBooze said:

but if it was the less effective choice compared to cooking, why would you even mess with it?

Out of likes. Exactly, Kyle.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Worksock said:

After sleeping for a few hours and reading through the thread again, I still do not understand why everyone is so incredibly upset that they cannot get 99% nutrition with a click of a button, even after it was explained that the benefits of high nutrition were mostly moved to the new cooking system.

If having high nutrition is such a game changer then ###### remove it already, or are you fine with newbies and those who do not refresh having to suffer with lower nutrition?

I heard that people were telling newbies to go PoL simply because the refresh is so nice, isn't that robbing their choice away? Were the same people not complaining that this is a sandbox and that they should feel like they can do whatever they want?

Like ######, it feels like most of you are fine with refresh because you have it, but you don't think of those that don't have it.

Makes me think of the SOTG arguments: "I have it, don't nerf it.", Meanwhile all the newbies get ###### over just because they don't have it.

Just felt like ranting since I hate how the devs backed out of the change without even letting people test it.

Don't have it? Then get it. It's not locked behind a secret gate.

great to see the devs time its well spent in absurdly complex things 95% of which nobody will really ever use. makes me want to come back

lol

i never ate anything anyway

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Allurapre said:

Simple question here: How can you introduce such a complex (at least on paper), cooking system but you still can't stop animals in a field from congregating in one corner?

1. Because these are completely different things that have nothing to do with each other, and not even necessarily the same people who would look into them.
  2. Item crafting, GUI windows, and effects like skill boosts are orders of magnitude easier than AI and pathfinding, which are both very difficult to get right and also pretty resource-intensive as a general rule.
  • Like 4

I love how you guys literally read one thread about changing POL and decide to do away with it, I'm glad you came to your senses. I think it would be wise to ask the community,  just like you did with pvp if "we" want a major change or not.

Anyways cooking looks fun, can't wait to see it.

• Like 1

I don't see a problem with food giving skill gain bonus of X% while meditation/PoL refresh still gives 99% nutrition. Both skills could still be useful in each their own separate ways.

Maybe just ditch the whole idea of tying skill gain bonus to nutrition. "High nutrition will give you a skill gain bonus. For every increase of 10% nutrition over 50%, there is an increase of 1% skill gain."

Instead, I would have to make quality foods of different types to get various skill gain bonuses of X% on a skill and I would just use refresh for getting my nutrition back up to 99% after I eat food.

Now you will say then what's the point of having nutrition? Indeed. So change it. Make it so 50% nutrition gives you slightly poorer stamina than 99% nutrition. I mean, in real life if I'm really hungry, would I feel like going out to chop 1000 trees? No. Maybe after I have 99% nutrition I would.

lol...

"oh they are making instantaneous 99% wins a bit less likely, woe to me".... "ok we wont"...

*sigh*

Also so much "im going to slam my door and cry in my room if you do this"... really, its the first time i see forum trolls whine... or is it? *scratch beard*

COoking looks good! looking forward.

Edited by Marlon

I like how the few here who say this is complaining obviously have zero comprehension behind why people have problems with the PoL changes (that were reversed, thank god).   Is it just your 'neckbeard-economics' that prompts these replies? I fail to really understand the minority who always equate : 'Moar involvement = Moar time in game for me to do trivial stuff! I'm immersed in my digital autism!!'

I'm honestly curious...

I also still have a concern with 'random character bonuses', does this equate a linear random bonus per character? or will it be "random skill bonus" on any random food? This 'cooking' update is about 7 years overdue, and i know it's a pet project for a few of you. Just, please, do not over complicate it....too much time in Wurm history has been devoted to useless development endeavors that do very little for game/player immersion or progression. Release a sample set, and then continuously integrate more as you go based on feedback/bugs. Pretty simple risk mitgation, really. Nerfing anything at this stage should always be a last resort unless you have ample evidence that a mechanic is negatively impacting the playerbase (economic, etc) or marginalizes a new development that offers your customers a better (see: not tedious) overall experience.

• Like 6

Just thought about those lib followers when they were nerfing the sac/food bonus, they never even considered all those mycelium walkers. ;)

Well the 4 or 5 left playing hots anyways.

I like what i read about cooking, this will make it more fun and important

Keep it up guys

20 hours ago, Shazaam said:

I like how the few here who say this is complaining obviously have zero comprehension behind why people have problems with the PoL changes (that were reversed, thank god).   Is it just your 'neckbeard-economics' that prompts these replies? I fail to really understand the minority who always equate : 'Moar involvement = Moar time in game for me to do trivial stuff! I'm immersed in my digital autism!!'

I'm honestly curious...

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not going to humor someone who pretends to be interested in honest conversation immediately after invoking "neckbeard-economics" and "digital autism".

EDIT: As far as random character bonuses, the gist of it seems to be that you'll receive skillgain bonuses to certain skills from certain food, but which food influences which skill will vary from character to character, so you'll need to experiment.

Edited by Ostentatio

1 hour ago, Ostentatio said:

but which food influences which skill will vary from character to character, so you'll need be forced to experiment.

Just bustin' chops. Sort of.

2 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

Just bustin' chops. Sort of.

Uh oh, exploration in a game!

I hate how we're forced to grind skills to 100 to get the 100 titles

On September-02-16 at 6:07 PM, Budda said:

I don't agree with the backlash for the refresh change one bit, but you've been heard - we won't change the nutrition gained from refresh/sacrificng.

Funny, I don't feel "heard" at all.  I'm a bit sad about this to be honest since I think some changes were needed.  The problem is that the nerf side was presented to us without giving us an understanding of what would replace it.  Then to top it off, the original proposed nerf was probably way to extreme--same goal could have been accomplished with only a small nerf most likely.  Unfortunately, we will never really know since we have no clue what the actual system was being designed to look like. 

As for the "backlash", what did you expect with the way this information was rolled out?  This was so predictable...

As for the response to the "backlash", while this response was better than no response, now you appear to be major nerfing the benefits of the new cooking system by removing refresh and new benefits from stacking together (as per Retrograde).

If this had been my call to choose how to respond, I would have suggested something like this, "No changes to refresh will be made until the entire planned changes are made available for comment.  Once the entire plan is made available, we believe you will understand why changing refresh is appropriate but we will evaluate any feedback that we receive. To balance out the value to choose PoL, we intend that a PoL refresh will also provide a  benefit that is stackable without any loss to existing bonus or nut level."

Thanks for working on these things and reading our feedback.  Best wishes.

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 0:41 PM, LorraineJ said:

How about tons of people who want to spend their time the way they want to spend it? Or tons of people who are tired of the diminishing returns on PoL? I don't want to be forced to spend my time WORKING when I've logged into a game. The new cooking system looks interesting, but I want to use it IF I feel like using it. There's enough work already. I think the ratio right now is about 80% chore to 20% time spent doing something non-repetitious and what I feel like is actually fun. Is the goal to get that down to 99% chore?

This. Thanks. +1

Please look into decay on deeds also. 

On 9/3/2016 at 6:09 AM, Mordraug said:

And good luck, Meiyeeer...... be strong! 

9/2/2016 at 5:29 PM, Reylaark said:

Welcome Meiyeeer!

That likely doesn't seem like quite as huge a welcome as it could be, but too large a font might just appear obnoxious ;).  Thanks for volunteering your time and skills, hope you have fun in the process!

On 9/3/2016 at 2:04 AM, JakeRivers said:

Welcome to the madhouse, I am sure almost everyone missed this part of the post, after seeing nothing but red in regards to the nerfs on nutrition.

Thanks :D I got a heck of a welcome to the dev world in this thread xD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meiyeeer said:

Thanks :D I got a heck of a welcome to the dev world in this thread xD

Do you mind telling us a bit about yourself and your background in wurm?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GoldFever said:

Funny, I don't feel "heard" at all.  I'm a bit sad about this to be honest since I think some changes were needed.  The problem is that the nerf side was presented to us without giving us an understanding of what would replace it.  Then to top it off, the original proposed nerf was probably way to extreme--same goal could have been accomplished with only a small nerf most likely.  Unfortunately, we will never really know since we have no clue what the actual system was being designed to look like.

I was told the reason for this was because refresh would remove any food buffs when used.