Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 16/AUG/16

8 minutes ago, Baloo said:

That iron plate armour is HIDEOUS !

Everyone doesn't want to look like a knight prancing around in shining white armour.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

Everyone doesn't want to look like a knight prancing around in shining white armour.

I want more armour pieces made of animal parts (?) or at least a ram helm

I hope to see all sorts of metals and textures for plate, and of course display stands to show them off even if they aren't combat optimal. Gilded armor!

Yay for iron plate, makes this skill fun to level now. +1

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Zekezor said:

...riding upon a tall white horse.

EmilysQuotes.Com-knight-motivational.jpg

13 hours ago, Alexgopen said:

A bit over a year late to preventing the HotS Epic capital conversion of July 2015 that caused the majority of our kingdom to quit.

Would it have mattered much? The king can just set a new capital if they want to convert. This change is purely to prevent some odd issues that occur when you convert a capital deed

17 hours ago, Belfesar said:

Trying not to overreact but I hope that Iron plate set is nothing more than a rumour , It will negate all the hard work us plate smiths have put in to get to a good level and to be able to produce good QL steel.

17 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Iron plate is a very good thing for allowing a more reasonable advance from crappy armors for newer players, especially on pvp where it's very important

I don't want to be mean, but I will be, this is one of the worst idea the team had so far. Not only this will kill the need for metallurgy and coal making, but it will also make the chain and studded leather armor totally useless.

So right now, we have a useless steel, since it's totally under-powered for the difficulty it is to make high QL one, but we will also have dubbed down armors. I though the goal was to add more armors and roles to them. Not make one OP one and kill everything else.

We were promised ring mails / metal scale ones. Heck, we can even have bronze plate if we want to keep it real.

And if that's a PvP update... well, do you really have lone wolves surviving without an alliance / kingdoms or is it another stupidly suggested change made by the usual small crew with their own agenda ?

12 hours ago, Zekezor said:

Sorry Zeke, but rusty armors were not a thing. Same as rusty weapons. Rust damage the metal and lower it's efficiency... so any knight / infantry man / whatever took care of their armors (as well as weapons). Doesn't need to look flawless, of course, but a pile of rust is as good as paper when it comes to a beating.

Edited by Odynn
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Odynn said:

but a pile of rust is as good as paper when it comes to a beating.

This. It was like a target for "hit here to kill/mortally wound me"

If you hit it on the rusted spot it would most likely crack/shatter the rest of the armour.

Few days ago i got my title for 90 metallurgy after much sweat and hard work  and now i see this...well THANK YOU!!

Someone must be drunk and with the head in a groove.. becouse they see  it backwords.

• Like 1

Cool and all but.... ehm..... 

Wurm uses graphics, unlike MUDs, so no matter how much Wurm lacks cloaks, it'll never outhipster MUDs anyways so... can we have cloaks now? ^_^

Iron plate is fine, and this is coming from someone with very high platesmithing, coalmaking, and metallurgy (not that it should matter).  Steel should have more compelling reasons to prefer it over iron; 20% less damage to the item is a joke, given all the supporting skills you need to level to maintain a good supply of this "advanced" material.

well, my main concern is making one of the best armors easilly accessible, steel ain't that hard to make on a large scale, but making something that was only available in steel or moon metal becoming the new norm and removing the need for all others armors is plain silly.

We should have had new armors to expand the gameplay and offer more alternative to plate / drake / scale... guess what, now we only have cheap plate.

Alternative between drake hide and plate sets and between plate sets and scale would have been nicer.

I do hope with that incoming silliness the interest of steel will be increased.

Is this based around the skill, or the assumption that iron plate will be as protective as steel plate?

If Iron plate is less protective, or heavier, or different to steel in any way, chances are steel will still be dominant.

Think of iron plate as one of the new types mentioned, just easier to add a new texture than it is to add a new model and fiddle with that

3 hours ago, Odynn said:

Sorry Zeke, but rusty armors were not a thing. Same as rusty weapons. Rust damage the metal and lower it's efficiency... so any knight / infantry man / whatever took care of their armors (as well as weapons). Doesn't need to look flawless, of course, but a pile of rust is as good as paper when it comes to a beating.

He never said they were a thing? 

4 hours ago, Odynn said:

When did I say that?

I said everyone doesn't (as in PLAYERS) want to look like a knight prancing around in shining white armour.

And you Odynn is not one of them so feel free to keep using the fancy pants steel =)

Edited by Zekezor

If Iron plate is as simple as turning an iron lump straight into plate then it needs to be weaker than chain armor, as chain armor requires more effort to make than that to create.

This is one kind of armor to which I don't see the point, as if it's too much weaker than steel plate than that might be counterintuitive for the players, especially for newer players, but if it's stronger than chain armor then the amount of effort required to make chain wouldn't make sense compared to the effort required to make iron plate. I'd rather have seen new armor types altogether than a spinoff of an existing armor type, though I do understand the appeal for the devs as they can easily reuse existing models for iron plate armor, while adding entirely new armors would require more work.

So I hope that this new plate will be weaker than chain, else why bother with chain?

9 minutes ago, Ecrir said:

If Iron plate is as simple as turning an iron lump straight into plate then it needs to be weaker than chain armor, as chain armor requires more effort to make than that to create.

This is one kind of armor to which I don't see the point, as if it's too much weaker than steel plate than that might be counterintuitive for the players, especially for newer players, but if it's stronger than chain armor then the amount of effort required to make chain wouldn't make sense compared to the effort required to make iron plate. I'd rather have seen new armor types altogether than a spinoff of an existing armor type, though I do understand the appeal for the devs as they can easily reuse existing models for iron plate armor, while adding entirely new armors would require more work.

So I hope that this new plate will be weaker than chain, else why bother with chain?

or much much slower than chain.

Chain vs studded leather is already a speed vs defence thing, I don't see the point in introducing a weaker, slower armour as a new player starting point

Being Iron Plate, I would think you would still need to use Plate Armour Smithing to create and imp it, so it does not really take away from chain smithing.  If it protects against piercing damage better than chain, but glances less than steel it should just fill another armor type.  I would however, like the weight of steel armour, weapons,, and tools lowered so that movement is faster with steel than iron.

Make iron stuff heavier than the steel version (so more weight on the armour, slower movement) as well as the 10% less use damage, and fill in the rest of the missing steel tools.  So steel tools would be slightly lighter than the iron ones.  Thus there's still an easy route to top armour or tools for newbies, but steel becomes a useful advanced option for more than armour.  Also metallurgy + coal making can support high BS as well as just high PAS (as now).

5 minutes ago, Pandalet said:

Also metallurgy + coal making can support high BS as well as just high PAS (as now).

This would require a fix on the coal making (90skill - 95+QL mats > 40QL pile... yay) and metalurgy (same thing, creation luck and RNG).

3 hours ago, Odynn said:

but making something that was only available in steel or moon metal becoming the new norm and removing the need for all others armors is plain silly.

It's been like this across pvp servers since like 2012-2013 I guess freedom just hasn't adapated yet, probably because steel is too frustrating for newer people but not as required so they stick to crappy armors and wonder why they die in rifts

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BrQQQ said:

Would it have mattered much? The king can just set a new capital if they want to convert. This change is purely to prevent some odd issues that occur when you convert a capital deed

The king didn't want to convert.  That was just atazoth.  We even planted a hots deed on a tower next to the capital before they did it to try to prevent it converting, but it didnt work because the checking nearby influences before conversion was bugged at the time.  If the king refused to change the capital from dsc and this change were in, then it wouldnt have been converted, and all of our work and singular deed would not have been lost.  It would've been a very different game if bl still were a factor in pvp all this time, but instead we had to go through a long and slow reconstruction period of getting the people remaining who didnt quit after this back together and slowly recruit new players to try to eventually get a new foothold on elevation. 

Its well known people do tend to aim for the shiny parts.

But hey, look on the good side. At least the armor covers vital organs... for BOTH genders.

An oldie but goodie:

Sign in to follow this