Sign in to follow this  
zigozag

Courier on lamps to stay fueled off-deed

Not my idea, but i don't remember who deserves credit on it. Also inspired by this in a way:

Also something to do with decay? They get damaged very quickly. What do you think?

• Like 5

something would be nice to change for highways and roads to save you running 10km a week with 100kg of tar.

the courier makes sense with what we already have to save adding new things

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hoof2000 said:

we have karma to fuel and light off deed lamps

really?  who spends karma this way?   I'd love to know.  Also it's rather sloppy.

Now on a productive note "light token" could be used to a similar end if it was applied to targeted lamp/torch.

Edited by Tallios

I don't think it should be permanent (Obviously it isn't in a way because of lamp decay, but you know what I mean ;) ). Perhaps tied to cast strength and lamp QL?

For example, 1 wurm week of lighting per 10QL and 10strength of cast, so 90QL lamp at 100 cast would stay lit for 19 wurm weeks (approx. 17 RL days or some such.). If it seems a little short perhaps a x2 multiplier on the end putting the example at 38 wurm weeks? Or because QL already affects the brightness, put more emphasis on the cast and have a x3 on cast only, so each 10 strength would gain 3 wurm weeks resulting in the above example giving 39 wurm weeks (just above a RL month).

If multiple priests have the ability, the spells need the same cost.

• Like 3

I'd be satisfied if just the damn decay would stop. I recently fixed all the ones I have out on roads and they're totally damaged again.

No! to exclusive Priest casts for perks that everyone would like but only the elitist Priest class can avail themselves of.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

On 7/14/2016 at 3:57 AM, Ayes said:

No! to exclusive Priest casts for perks that everyone would like but only the elitist Priest class can avail themselves of.

=Ayes=

Then the suggestion of a non-magical solution would be some sort of "special fuel" pack that can be added to these lamps to extend their life.

59 minutes ago, Tallios said:

Then the suggestion of a non-magical solution would be some sort of "special fuel" pack that can be added to these lamps to extend their life.

High level Alchemy: Inflammable Oil
Combine Olive Oil, Tar, Peat, and a source salt.
Creates 0.1 kg of Inflammable Oil (liquid).

When used on a light source 0.01 kg is consumed. The light source will then spontaneously light and stay lit until burned out, no other fuels can be placed inside until the inflammable oil is consumed. Lamps on deed will stay lit indefinitely, off-deed laps will burn for 28 days.

• Like 1

Better types of fuel to be made through alchemy sounds like a good idea, though I'd change the ingredients a bit so there's a bit more steps in the total process.

something like this recipe: Fill a cauldron with olive oil, a bit of coal and then heat it up till it's at the hottest possible temperature, at which point it turns into a much better type of fuel which can keep off deed lamps burning for ~ 28 days at ql 50. Let the olive oil have a minimal effect on ql while the coal ql has a much higher effect. It should require quite a bit of olive oil per coal so that the olive oil becomes the limiting factor in production. The reason I didn't include tar and peat is that they'd make it far too easy to get a lot of oil weight wise. Getting a lot of olive oil is much harder as you need a lot of trees and are limited to when it can be harvested.

The amount of fuel consumed per lamp can be higher than 0.01kg this way, perhaps closer to what goes into a lamp right now (0.125kg) as it's easier to produce this fuel bulk if you fill up an entire cauldron in one go, though of course that comes with the risk that all of it ends up being low ql.

Some kind of fuel extension for lamps could also be interesting. For example if you could make a lamp fuel container of the same material as the lamp, and then attach said fuel container to the lamp,  then that could increase how much fuel can be added to the lamp, allowing it to burn longer. This could for example increase the amount of fuel from 0.125kg to 1kg max, increasing the max burn time 8 times. (do note that I do not know how long such lamps currently burn and whether 8 times that duration is a sufficient increase)

On 7/14/2016 at 11:57 AM, Ayes said:

=Ayes=

No!  To exclusive non-priest actions for perks that everyone would like but only the elitist non-priest class can avail themselves of.

It kind of works both ways.

+1 to the courier buff (I remember suggesting something like this a while back)

+1

Would make public highways and canals much better for the overall community!

another option is to have fruit or veg that is butchered into mash, boiled in a cauldron, then strained and filtered with cloth and then boiled and distilled into alcohol.

As for other options to fuel off deed lamps for an extended time period, how about one that almost every player could avail themselves of not exclusive to priests.

I would suggest a carpentry crafted fuel barrel or bucket that could be planted next to the lamp and then filled with tar to provide a continuous supply that would slowly burn away under the present conditions. Combine this with Lamps auto-turning on and off at day/night and you have a much better longer lasting system to fuel them over time.

This same system could even then be used in mines with the only difference being that they would never turn off and of course then be using more of this tar fuel.

With this type of system no convoluted systems requiring processing multiple ingredients would be required. Keep it simple and keep Priests out of a process exclusive to them. Something for all players who would take the more reasonable timeframe required to create, plant and fill this fuel barrel with tar.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
added stuffs...

I have seen off deed lamps stay lit for quite a long time without any special things.  So not sure how beneficial something that makes them lit for 2 weeks real time would be.

• Like 3

I do love things that are convenient and good for the community so I'm a bit torn on this.

I really like that nights are dark.  I think twice about traveling at night, and get an extra thrill when I do.  Even in long boat tunnels, there's an air of mystery with limited vision.

With abandoned deeds, there are lamps that stay out there a long time (at least it seems).  They're planted.

Having them planted and permanently lit seems like it'd be a bit much.  I was also thinking maybe a barrel or localized fuel source would be cool.  Place the bucket at the base of the lamp type of thing.  Less need for custodial services but still ultimately limited.

Bump to this, currently making a huge highway and would love to be able to light this in a manner that's not going to hugely waste time refilling every few days.

Something easy to cast with no cooldown like light token would be ideal if it were temporary otherwise something permanent like courier would be perfect.

@Ayesfor those of us without priests able to cast this it would encourage more trade and interaction, which is always a good thing. If you're the hermit type and prefer to play alone in an mmo that's fine but that shouldn't affect a mechanic that would benefit the rest of us.

On 7/20/2016 at 7:48 AM, Ayes said:

As for other options to fuel off deed lamps for an extended time period, how about one that almost every player could avail themselves of not exclusive to priests.

I would suggest a carpentry crafted fuel barrel or bucket ...

Now that just excluded priests.

I agree with these things but to me the repairing of the lamps is much more sickening than the relighting. They decay WAY too fast. Lit highways make the game more pleasant for people. It shouldn't be a punishment to try to do this for people.

On 12.7.2016 at 9:11 PM, Tallios said:

really?  who spends karma this way?   I'd love to know.  Also it's rather sloppy.

Now on a productive note "light token" could be used to a similar end if it was applied to targeted lamp/torch.

what else do you use karma for on freedom?

54 minutes ago, LorraineJ said:

I agree with these things but to me the repairing of the lamps is much more sickening than the relighting. They decay WAY too fast. Lit highways make the game more pleasant for people. It shouldn't be a punishment to try to do this for people.

would be really nice if the karma light thingy would not just refill but also repair them. would make it a bit more usefull

I

On 7/12/2016 at 3:11 PM, Tallios said:

I lit an 200 tile area on the HoTA zone once for lols.

(i may have been trying to karma home)

I like the idea of either a spell or a fuel extending how long the lamps are lit, but I can see where a crafted solution could probably be more accessible. Maybe it will make a new market for useful fuel materials.

How about a planted oil barrel on a road can refuel any lamps that are also on connected roads, within a 50 tile radius?  If oil remains in the barrel, then lamps decay much slower, because obviously the mysterious lamp fillers would take better care of them, when refilling.

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

How about a planted oil barrel on a road can refuel any lamps that are also on connected roads, within a 50 tile radius?  If oil remains in the barrel, then lamps decay much slower, because obviously the mysterious lamp fillers would take better care of them, when refilling.

The could simply make the Oil barrel fuel any lamp with 1 tile per QL.