Sign in to follow this  
Ostentatio

Fine control over on-deed/planted lamps

Right now, lamps can be controlled as follows:

• On-deed: On at night, off during the day.
  • Off-deed: Either permanently on or permanently off, until they run out of fuel.

I suggest finer control over any lamp by characters on-deed with the permission to do so, or who originally planted the lamp if off-deed*, through a right-click submenu or similar, with options such as:

• Always stay lit.
  • Always stay off.
  • Stay lit at night, and off during the day.
  • Stay lit at day, and off during the night (hey, someone might want it for aesthetic reasons).
  • Some other option I'm not thinking of?

This would give finer control over lights on deed, especially, and would allow us to give off-deed lighting similar function, although obviously they'd need manual fueling or a Templar to take care of the oil.

For example, maybe I want my deed lights to follow default patterns and only stay lit at night, but maybe I also want a specific lamp, or a brazier pillar, or a fireplace, to stay lit all the time. This is pretty reasonable, and something I've seen requested before.

* I suppose it would also make sense to allow anyone to adjust settings of off-deed lamps; either way is arguably fine.

• Like 4

+1

I support this and would like to emphasize "any lamp", including fireplace and candelabra. :)

A nice suggestion Ostentatio but I think all these options are a little ambitious to hope for.

The main one for off deed lamps that I would like to see applied is that they automatically turn on at night and off at day time, under the same light conditions as on deed lamps. This would both eliminate their useless daytime light as well as conserve the fuel within them from burning only approximately half the time. Since this would be a fixed setting for all off deed lamps I would think that it would be much simpler to code in.

=Ayes=

2 hours ago, Ayes said:

A nice suggestion Ostentatio but I think all these options are a little ambitious to hope for.

The main one for off deed lamps that I would like to see applied is that they automatically turn on at night and off at day time, under the same light conditions as on deed lamps. This would both eliminate their useless daytime light as well as conserve the fuel within them from burning only approximately half the time. Since this would be a fixed setting for all off deed lamps I would think that it would be much simpler to code in.

=Ayes=

I don't think it would be that ambitious. Items get polled constantly anyway, so it would just be one more time-related check to see if they need to turn on or off.

At least, I don't think it would be hard to implement, but I'm not a developer, so I could be wrong.