DevBlog

Unstable Client update 2 July 2016 – Maximum dynamic lights

10 posts in this topic

Todays update to the Unstable client includes a new advanced graphics setting – Maximum dynamic lights.

With this setting you can scale the amount of light sources your client will try to render, with higher numbers being better performance and less lights, and lower numbers meaning more light sources.

If you experience heavy performance loss, please scale down this setting and try again.

1 person likes this

Client build:  4.00-a060f54

This build also addresses the random disconnect issue.  

Please report issues in the Client Bug forums so that we can keep bugs in one place.  Mention the client build number in your post and also your Maximum Dynamic Lights settings (if your bug is FPS related).

2 people like this

Still waiting for dark but there is a big issue with underground houses. Screen shot will show you. Will post stable and unstable shots.

Unstable

Spoiler

fKux93v.png

Stable

Spoiler

vAGBqr8.png

Only portcullis are showing. All walls and floors are invisible.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Alectrys said:

Client build:  4.00-a060f54

This build also addresses the random disconnect issue.  

Please report issues in the Client Bug forums so that we can keep bugs in one place.  Mention the client build number in your post and also your Maximum Dynamic Lights settings (if your bug is FPS related).

LOL And I didn't put it in the right forum. I blame my cat. It's evil.

1 person likes this

One of these days, I should really figure out why the unstable client doesn't run on my computer. Lol. Sounds super neat.

Yay for possibly no more random disconnect!

The setting is called "Maximum dynamic lights" yet a higher number means fewer dynamic lights?  Seems counter-intuitive.  Along with the suggestion to scale the number down if you have performance issues.  Don't you mean up?

On 7/2/2016 at 7:04 AM, DevBlog said:

Todays update to the Unstable client includes a new advanced graphics setting – Maximum dynamic lights.

With this setting you can scale the amount of light sources your client will try to render, with higher numbers being better performance and less lights, and lower numbers meaning more light sources.

If you experience heavy performance loss, please scale down this setting and try again.

can we get an english translation please?    

7 hours ago, Aum said:

can we get an english translation please?    

Lol, it does seem somewhat back to front doesn't it.

Well here goes:

You can make a higher number of lights visible by lowering the number of max dynamic lights. If your client is struggling, you can lower this setting by raising the number of max dynamic lights, thereby lowering the number of lights.

Yup... that about sums it up ;)

That didn't really clarify it.

I'm guessing there's an unmentioned distinction here between "dynamic lights" and "static lights" and adjusting the number of dynamic lights affects the number of allowable static lights (e.g. more dynamic lights means fewer static lights).  And of the two static lights hurt performance the most which is why increasing the number of dynamic lights should help.