Sign in to follow this  
ViperZeroOne

Cheaper Guard Towers

Just randomly looking at the list of server when starting Wurm, there's one conclusion that comes to mind.  Most servers have very small populations, my own included.  The biggest complaint I've been hearing is in regards to guard towers.  They're a necessity to expand your kingdom and yet they cost a ridiculous amount (for a small crew of 1-5 players) to build.  Perhaps someone could whip up a quick mod that would take the requirements down to something more manageable for small population servers.  Perhaps along the lines of;

100 Stone Blocks

50 Wooden Planks

50 Clay

Or even just a mod to make the resource requirements for a guard tower configurable via a properties file, so server hosts could set (and adjust) the material quantity depending on their own server's population.

Edited by ViperZeroOne

Depends on timers with the quick timers they fly up so quick. Esp when you have some masonry skils

I built a guard tower solo so I could build my settlement. It took a couple of hours but that's all. If it's just for a kingdom placement, the ql doesn't matter so you can build one with practically no masonary skills beyond those you'd get from making all the bricks.

IMO, it's quite cheap considering the guards will help you deal with aggressive animals as well as your settlement Templars. If it were me, I'd make a tower a pre-req for getting town guards and do away with the templars completely. If you want more town guards, either imp the existing tower or build another one. Of course, this would have to do away with the 50 tile exclusion zone around it so you can have several towers in one settlement. Then settlement tower guards, (those spawned from a tower inside the settlement boundaries), would adopt the AI for the Templars and not act like normal tower guards.

Now there's an idea for a modder to take on. I'm not a Java programmer so there's no way I can do it.

Edited by Tryst

In the CreationEntryCreator.class is where the data is for setting up creation material requirements. It's difficult to change it but it's still usefull to look at to get an idea how creation recipes are added.

Okay, in CreationMatrix.class is a Hashmap>>> private static Map<Integer, CreationEntry> advancedEntries;

You'll need to use reflection to cycle through the that hashmap and change the entry for guard towers.

Here is one entry:

final AdvancedCreationEntry towerStone = createAdvancedEntry(1013, 132, 130, 384, false, false, 0.0f, true, true, CreationCategories.TOWERS);
towerStone.addRequirement(new CreationRequirement(1, 132, 500, true));
towerStone.addRequirement(new CreationRequirement(2, 130, 500, true));
towerStone.addRequirement(new CreationRequirement(3, 22, 100, true));

This is for:

createItemTemplate(384, "guard tower", "towers", "excellent", "good", "ok", "poor", "A high guard tower.", new short[] { 52, 25, 31, 67, 44, 85, 86, 49, 98, 123, 194 }, (short)60, (short)1, 0, 19353600L, 400, 400, 600, -10, MiscConstants.EMPTY_BYTE_PRIMITIVE_ARRAY, "model.structure.guardtower.jenn.", 20.0f, 500000, (byte)15);

I've found it's often easier to delete a entry in the hashmap for a craftable item and then add it back in by executing the create method.

Someday I want to make a mod that improves guards. My goal is more about making them more powerful then making towers easier to build. I really like UO's teleporting instant kill guards. Another idea is to make some kind of a barrier where mobs can't attack things when within the field.