Sign in to follow this  
Talohan

Video card upgrade

WHile it is not a terribly bad budget card, wurm always struggled a bit with AMD (ATI) chipset graphic cards.

Right now for me on my AMD it works pretty decently, with some workable graphical anomalies here and there (like the waters edge sometimes looking weird in certain scenarios) on the stable version.

However, the new rendering system currently on the unstable version does not like AMD cards at all at this point in time and will get you 1-4 frames per second just due to being an amd chipset. 

It is not a very pricey card however, and if it is an upgrade (especially if you currently only have a intel on board) and you stick to the stable version you should be ok. Just dont expect a miracle performance (also since wurm performance seems heavily CPU aimed as well), and take in mind that you will be confined to the stable version (and pray with all the rest of us AMD users that the rendering system will actually work on AMD when it gets released as stable) :) 

Edited by Viti

wait for the new Polaris cards with a low tdp to come out that card is ancient. currently something like a gtx 750ti can be boutght used for very little money.

I'm running right now a ATI Radeon HD4200 and get 1-6 fps in town and 17-26 while sailing or away from a lot of rendering items, and did notice the graphics was awful on unstable. So might check on a low priced budget Intel card but I tried playing Wurm on my wifes computer which had intel onboard graphics and got nothing but red ground and no rendering. And my computer is ancient too. lol But yeah looked at the gtx 750's but would require a psu upgrade to use it. Current one is only 250w.

if you have an old computer  It may not even like the new video  cards. And the old Intel video in laptops never liked wurm. Not sure if  Intel likes wurm now.  Sounds like you may need to think about a new computer all together if you have to replace too many components.  Also if you are going to just upgrade the old tower, Better video cards are bigger too. Make sure that if you have to replace the card and power supply there is enough room in the tower itself to put them in.  I have a mid size tower and it was a bit tight getting it all inside.

Yes, the radeon is a low profile card and was actually advertised back then as being for optiflex and Inspirion computers that have limited space in the tower. Looking at replacing this computer later but right now just needing a temp fix for better fps.