Sign in to follow this  
Xyla

Darkenstone Canal: A Minor Change

Greetings fellow Wurmians!

Darkenstone Canal is a historic locale and has been in need of an upgrade. After getting our own Cog stuck at Darkenstone, Xack and I decided to speak to the leader of our alliance, who owns Darkenstone Canal, and we requested permission to work on the canal. Most of the canal was large boat accessible, except for the once-was land bridge on the south side, where a stone brick bridge was created, superseding the land bridge.

We went to work on the canal dredging the south side, and after completion we brought our own Cog to test it out.  We hope that with Darkenstone Canal allowing access to larger boats, it will alleviate the difficulties of bridging the Inner Sea to the Samling Fjord and increase ship travel in the area.

We are proud to announce that Darkenstone Canal is now big-boat accessible!

http://imgur.com/6tWR6RU (A screenie of Xack driving the cog through Darkenstone)

Edited by Xyla
  • Like 5

Nice to see some of the old canals on Indy getting refitted for big ships

Thanks to all who retrofitted this ancient beauty of indy :)

I'm happy to see the canal is being taken care of long after I left her in the care of her new deed holder. Thank you so much for your work :)

• Like 1

Was a pleasure to bring the canal up to date, I have only tested it with a Cog , not sure about the other deep draft ships, I would think they should make it. with the addition of bridges into Wurm  , there was no need for the land bridge , that  was the main passage for anyone wanting to lead an animal, across the area. This historic site, was one of indy's original land marks , along with the cave canal to the south , and crystal canal as well. I remember them  many years ago being the main way to traverse the inner sections of the map , and were wonders of their time. They have been inspiration for some incredible construction wonders since, they deserve to be taken care of, and darkenstone has a lot of use in her yet.                                    Xack

Edited by Xack
typo
  • Like 1

I'm so glad it finally has a real bridge. Ever since I finished it back in '09 I dreamed of having one there. Even back then there was whispers of bridges but the game was still young and as I understand it the code couldn't support it yet. I stated before that the landbridge was only there out of necessity and was only "temporary". So when I passed the deed to the new owner I made him promise to put a bridge there as soon as it was possible to do so. The location does have alot of history being the first canal on the server, even applied for "Heritage" status but as long as it remains deeded I was told that it doesn't qualify. Anyway here we are 7 years later and the bridge is finally a reality. Please continue to take good care of the canal :)

Edited by Aureate
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Aureate said:

I'm so glad it finally has a real bridge. Ever since I finished it back in '09 I dreamed of having one there. Even back then there was whispers of bridges but the game was still young and as I understand it the code couldn't support it yet. I stated before that the landbridge was only there out of necessity and was only "temporary". So when I passed the deed to the new owner I made him promise to put a bridge there as soon as it was possible to do so. The location does have alot of history being the first canal on the server, even applied for "Heritage" status but as long as it remains deeded I was told that it doesn't qualify. Anyway here we are 7 years later and the bridge is finally a reality. Please continue to take good care of the canal :)

We sure will take good care of it. Thank you for building the canal! I remember admiring it when I first started playing Wurm in 2010, I couldn't imagine all the work it must've took, and I never thought I would take part in the development of the first canal on the server. :)

• Like 1