Sign in to follow this  
Skyhawk

Wurm 2.0

Guess I'll try this again and see if it gets any traction from the dwindling community.

Wurm is (more than) 10 years old!  \o/  Patched, fixed, added to for 10 years.

Adding something big like bridges to the game will cause a peak in population, followed by the decline. Adding mine houses will most likely do the same. Adding features / content basically keeps current population stable.

A 1970 Ford Pinto with a new paint job, modern stereo, and rebuild alternator is still a 1970 Ford Pinto.

Pick a new game engine, like Unity 3D (which is cross platform and can use Java).

Add a 2nd dev team experienced in above chosen engine and get them up to speed on Wurm. Start building Wurm 2.0.

Develop a way for current accounts to transfer their efforts to the new version like "training manuals" based on current skill ratings and "timer speed boosts" based on current equipment, deed construction, and/or playtime.

This also gives you a nice way to launch a new fighting system.

Don't keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, that just gets you another level on the insanity path.

• Like 4

Hey, I've seen some amazing races from Pinto's... done right one can compete rather well.  Wurm is the same and always will be.

• Like 1

You can already play Wurm 4.0 if you wish, but 3.99z is better so far.

• Like 3

I don't mean to derail, but I couldn't resist this one:

1 hour ago, Skyhawk said:

Don't keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, that just gets you another level on the insanity path.

That's OK, because you can have a free switch to another path ;)

As for the suggestion itself, I don't know the complexities and costs of accomplishing such as you're suggesting. I don't see what would change though. If you're going to change things in Wurm to make it appeal to the masses, why can't those things be changed in the current engine which the current team understands? Why does it have to be in a different one? Porting the game to another system as is would end up with the same problem you're trying to solve so really it's not the engine that is the issue, but the mechanics - which can be altered here anyway. What particular capabilities of (say) Unity 3D over Java would allow a desired and radical change in game mechanics that would cause everyone to want to play Wurm?

• Like 1

such a change would only be interesting with a complete rework how the game engine... for a real 3D world with proper collision allowing to implement all the 3D mining, multistorey, bridges, flowing water, whatever you may dream of.

Losing all the servers and player hard work would kill the community rather than increase the player counts.

• Like 1

I don't' know much about Java but it does update. It's not like Java is 1.0. Also isn't Wurm still in beta after 10 years? I'm still waiting on 1.0 ;) More content would be very nice.

40 minutes ago, Shamgar said:

Also isn't Wurm still in beta after 10 years? I'm still waiting on 1.0 ;) More content would be very nice.

Rolfs signature says we're in v1.2 ;)

v1.0 was with the addition of multistory I think. Bridges were 1.2

• Like 3

Wurm is the only game I've ever played where you are not 100% in the game.  You end up doing something in Wurm while watching TV or browsing the web on another computer because it doesn't pull you into the game all the time which honestly always has me asking myself "Why the hell am I even playing this game?  It feels more like a chore just so I can try to do something months from now when 1 of 50 skills gets higher."

Being able to own land and do almost what you want on that land is the only thing that makes people stay in this game.  I've done a lot and now feel like I don't want to lose my virtual property even though I'm getting bored of Wurm.  It give us people that cannot purchase large real estate in real life something virtual to own.

They do need to do something with this graphic engine and not a 4.0 client with a new renderer that gives better shadows.  Honestly once another game comes out that is as good as Wurm on the MMO sandbox side I'm jumping ship to it and I bet others will too.  There are some promising ones being developed.

I like Wurm a lot, but tired of dated tech that lags and crashes even though I have a computer that can run GTA4, Crysis, Battlefield, and other demanding game on max settings with no issues.

Graphics are big for some people like me because it brings more depth and makes your imagination draw you more into the game like you are actually there.  I sometimes feel like that with Wurm when I'm in a forest, but other than that this game doesn't take my imagination deep anymore.  There are no more "wow that is freaking cool" moments in Wurm.

I can't even put plates and spoons on a table.  What's the point of dishes?

Hmm, ya, I;ve seen an MMO go to a completely new engine(Cry).   The graphics where great.  To bad everything else was bugged to hell for years after.  Some content was so bugged it had to get completely removed and was only added back in many years later.   By the time they finally got all the kinks worked out and all the content back in, the engine they upgraded to had been replaced twice over(Cry 3) so in the end, there where just as far behind.
They where also a smallish , niche market game like Wurm is.  I suspect Wurm would suffer the same problems.     Plus, good luck having your deed transferred over.   Now I don't know about you, but I have put years into my deed, having to start all over from scratch would really suck.   I might even rage quit over it.   At least for a little while anyway.

Also, where is Rolf going to get the money for that second dev team to essentially make a completely new game?  Most of the devs right now are volunteers. 

Now, I'm not saying this is perfect, but I like it.    I find that taking breaks from Wurm does help when it starts to feel like chores though.    They could add lots of stuff to make the game better without having to go to a whole new engine.    

Also, we are already past Wurm 2.0

This has been responded to thoroughly by the dev team the last time it was brought up. Reposting it in the hopes that people don't remember those responses won't help, and won't make the suggestion more likely to be implemented.

Also, the Wurm client is already up to 4.0. Wurm 2.0 was years ago.

The reason I suggest Unity 3D is it uses Java (and C), so some of the code could be reused / rebuilt. Depending on the what parts are used, Unity is either free or low cost. It offers a chance to port the game to true 3D. It can use ray tracing for collisions. It is designed to make use of graphics cards. It provides a huge support community. It has physics built in.... And more.

There are things that can be done so that current players do not have to start over from scratch, I mentioned an idea or 2.

I have been playing since there was just "home server", before wild / chaos was launched, observed how new bling makes the population peak for a bit, then return.  We have mine houses now on some servers yet the population is 30% lower than last year.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of good stuff has been added, but what is needed is more new players that stay, and imo something else is needed to be tried. Otherwise the most appropriate added content will be crickets chirping for ambient sound.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ostentatio said:

This has been responded to thoroughly by the dev team the last time it was brought up. Reposting it in the hopes that people don't remember those responses won't help, and won't make the suggestion more likely to be implemented.

Also, the Wurm client is already up to 4.0. Wurm 2.0 was years ago.

Could you please post the link? You need to burn some SB on your mindreading skill, I wasn't hoping people didn't remember, a GM suggested I post this here.

4 hours ago, Skyhawk said:

Don't get me wrong, a lot of good stuff has been added, but what is needed is more new players that stay, and imo something else is needed to be tried.

I agree with you that we need more new players that stay in the game for longer - but sadly you don't tell us why "a new engine" would change that. People stay in a game because they enjoy the game-play, not because it's made with engine XYZ.

WHAT A GREAT IDEA WHO WOULD EVER DISAGREE WITH ANY OF THIS YOU CLEARLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT WITH GAME ENGINES YES SIREE

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Skyhawk said:

Could you please post the link? You need to burn some SB on your mindreading skill, I wasn't hoping people didn't remember, a GM suggested I post this here.

try "unity" in search....

there have been a few who have suggested unity.  if you are offering to donate few hundred thousand dollars to Rolf/CC for licenses and new dev team to PoC he idea (note Proof of Concept, i.e. maybe alpha, not even the actual port) then great, but if you like many others are asking CC to fire up their magic money machine or drive WO into the ground to make something because *you* think it would be cool, then...really nothing else to say about that.   

• Like 1

again i'll say.
Wurm would reach a greater audience if Rolf wanted it to. It doesn't take updates, there's loads of people out there still looking, for a game like WO.
It is what it is and what it is, is what it's meant to be.

I want 3d mines and no ceiling limit in caves, and i dearly want Wurm Online to support Virtual Reality..
if wishes were fishes.
Happy with the game as it is. It's developing well.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 7:21 PM, nicedreams said:

Wurm is the only game I've ever played where you are not 100% in the game.  You end up doing something in Wurm while watching TV or browsing the web on another computer because it doesn't pull you into the game all the time which honestly always has me asking myself "Why the hell am I even playing this game?  It feels more like a chore just so I can try to do something months from now when 1 of 50 skills gets higher."

Being able to own land and do almost what you want on that land is the only thing that makes people stay in this game.  I've done a lot and now feel like I don't want to lose my virtual property even though I'm getting bored of Wurm.  It give us people that cannot purchase large real estate in real life something virtual to own.

Yes, it's the slow timers to complete actions within Wurm Online that create this situation. Sort of a bizarre concept when you think about it, intentionally extending the process to complete actions. Very peculiar way to prevent players from completing anything as this extends throughout the whole game. Fortunately now there is Wurm Unlimited in which players can host a server for others to play upon and increase (make completing actions go much faster) these timers to any extent that they wish. These are the servers that draw my attention and keep my interest because there is little time to glance away from the game. Attention must be focused upon the task at hand as is common in most other online games.

I agree also with your second point as I see this creation aspect of designing and living in ones own virtual Village as the most compelling aspect of the game. Everything else is just an add on to it. Then it also lasts over the years and becomes a familiar place to spend some enjoyable time within. Virtual real estate ownership for sure.

As for the OP, there can be a whole list of reasons why players loose interest in this game but I would say that the "game engine" is the least of it.

=Ayes=

its all playstyle ...you know i have never played afk.. i am always conscious of what i am doing and where.. because i ACTIVELY play..i travel lots i hunt lots and maybe i dont have as high a skills as some of the people who started when i did.. but i enjo

y the experience and don't have to watch tv to play wurm cause i am playing wurm and not going afk.. its all playstyle there are still many more locations in wurm i want to visit and wiull.. hell i could be a tour guide..